John Albaugh was born on August 2, 1823 in Montgomery County, Ohio and was the son of Jacob and Mary (Eller)Albaugh. As a young man, he moved to the vicinity of Gettysburg, Darke County, Ohio where he farmed until the early 1850's. On January 9, 1845, he married Asenath Mendenhall who was born on June 24, 1825 and who was the illegitimate daughter of Lydia Mendenhall. John and Asenath had ten children:
1. Lydia, b. December 20, 1845
2. Mary Etta, born in 1847 and who was my greatgreatgrandmother.
3. Albert, born on July 4, 1850
4. Emeline Albaugh, born on March 1, 1853
5. Sarah Jane, born on June 9, 1854
6. Margaret Ann, born on August 28, 1856
7. Harvey, born on January 8, 1859
8. Ellen M., born on March 20, 1861
9. Ira M., born on April 17, 1862
10. Pharis M, born on June 10, 1864.
On September 8, 1853, John and Asenath bought the W1/2 SE1/4 Section 23 in Union Township, Miami County, Ohio where he lived in poor health and farmed. This farm is located on the west side of Albaugh Road and their brick home stands near the road. John and Asenath were member of the Georgetown German Baptist Brethren Church (Potsdam Church of the Brethren). Asenath died on March 28, 1891 at the age of 65 and John died on July 11, 1891 at the age of 67. Both are buried in Potsdam Cemetery, Miami County, Ohio.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|