Another story related by Leslie Van Winkle (great-grandson of Billy) goes as follows: On a certain Sunday Bill's son, Overton, was preaching in a neighborhood church. At this time "Old Billy" owned an ox that was quite a racing animal. One of the frontiersmen who had been imbibing in "fire water" offer Billy a "snifter". This was always hard for him to refuse so he emptied the jug. By this time both the frontiersman and Billy were in a happy mood and the frontiersman began to talk about the racing qualities of his horse. Billy couldn't stand the bragging and offered to bet that his ox could out run the horse. A jug of whiskey was waggered which had to be paid the winner by the end of the month. The starting point was to be a sycamore tree and the ending point the church. Billy got on the ox and the frontiersman on his horse with his empty jug. At the dropping of the jug the race was to begin. Even before the jug left the hand of the horseman he was on his way up the road and around the hill racing at full speed. "Old Billy" with a late start lay down on the ox's back and took a short cut through the brush. The snapping of the limbs kept him dodging from side to side. Just as he dodged a big limb, his ox came unexpectedly to a creek which it promptly jumped. The ox got over, but Billy didn't. However, he was on his feet in a second, but the ox had gone to the church yard and was eating grass when Billy arrived on foot. It was several minutes before the horse and rider arrived. Of course when the frontiersman did arrive, it was a surprise to see Billy already there. This angered the horseman so he never stopped but continued on down the road at full gallop.
William "Billy" Asbill 11., son of William and Malinda Ross, was born in Buncombe County, North Carolina in 1787 and died on April 6,1873 at the age of 86 years and was buried either at Cave Springs or in the Robinson Cenetery. He married (1)
Cecil Van Winkle, daughter of Benjamin Van Winkle between 1812 and 1815. He married (2) Aletha Harrison in 1852.
William and Cecil Van Winkle had the following children and grandchildren:
1. James Asbill born 1816, died 1903, married Mahalia Jane Becknell.
2. William Azbill 111. married Nancy Fulton. Their children:
a. Dr. James Overton Azbill (Perkins)
b. Jesse Azbill
c. Martha Azbill
3. Joseph Azbill married Elizabeth Becknell, daughter of Nancy Malinda Azbill and Thomas Becknell. Their child:
a. Wilson K. Azbill married Anna E. Page
(1) Paul Azbill
(2) Ethel Walcott Azbill married Louis E. Schramm 1906 in Columbia, Kentucky.
4. Overton T. Azbill born 1836, died 1896, married Elizabeth Becknell, daughter of Tyre Becknell
5. William and Aletha Harrison had the following children and grandchildren:
1. Sidney Azbill born 1853, died 1930, married (1) Martha Drew (2) Emma Bowlws and (3) Martha Berry.
2. Lydia Azbill married Walker Mullins. Their child:
a. Overton Mullins
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|