I am trying to confirm (or discard) Britnell records to pin down the facts of my gg grandmother Caroline Britnell.
There is mystery surrounding her early life and marriage although I am confident we have the latter part of her life sorted.
The only firm facts I have include
* death in Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia in June 1907
* 9 or 10 children with Charles Swan(n)
* living in Nelson, New Zealand from at least 1858 to late 1870s
* Moving with Charles and all but one of the children back to Australia and settling in Bairnsdale, Victoria.
At death she was supposedly aged around 78 (which puts her birth around 1929 if correct).
I have not found any information that confirms for me when and where she was born or who her parents were.
I have seen lots of snippets of information gathered through speculation though.
Death certificate information indicates Charles and Caroline were married when she was 22 (which would have been around 1951) but the only record found around this time was a Caroline Britnell to a John Garret which has caused more speculation in the family.
There appears to be a marriage certificate between Charles and Caroline much later in 1874.
I have one record (unknown origin) which has a Caroline Britnell born 22 March 1829 in Bledlow, Buckinhamshire (UK) to a Jonah and Mary Ann (nee Green) Britnell. She has younger siblings Jonah, James (died at 19 months 1843), Emma, James Albert. (Jonah is the son of Jonah and Charlotte (nee Rush) (I have a bit more info on this line if anyone wants it). I don't know where this info came from as it was in a bunch of things handed down to me that are and aren't relevant so I cannot verify it - would love to hear if you can!
I guess I am asking if anyone is missing a Caroline Britnell from their family tree that fits with any of these dates.
I would really like to see evidence of
* where she was born (Aussie or UK perhaps?)
* immigration information for Caroline to NZ and Australia
* immigration info for Charles to NZ and Australia
* a 1850s marriage certificate for Caroline to anyone
* Charles' birthplace and date - because he is even more mysterious and I am hoping that facts on Caroline can help uncover the brick wall that is Charles Swan!
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|