Randolph was one of 7 children:
1. John George Caldecott (b 23.6.1843, d in S Africa 19.6.1879)
2. William Brookes Caldecott (b 31.8.1844, d 27.8.1846 of convulsions, aged 2)
3. Randolph Caldecott (b 22.3.1846, d in Florida 12.2.1886)
4. Sophia Caldecott (b 6.2.1848, d 23.4.1929)
5. Elizabeth Caldecott (b 30.11.1849, d 13.1.1850 aged 6 weeks 2 days)
6. Alfred Caldecott (b 9.11.1850, d 1941)
7. Harold Caldecott (b 14.4.1852, d 11.9.1871)
His mother, Mary Dinah Caldecott (nee Brookes) died 21.8.1852. His father John Caldecott, remarried Maria (nee Guest) and had 6 more children! So Randolph had 6 full siblings (although 2 died in infancy), plus 6 more half-siblings.
His sister Sophia was my great-grandmother. She married John Lilley Anthony. One of their two children, my father, John Victor Caldecott Anthony, died last month (6 Feb 2001) at the great age of 88.
Randolph married Marian Harriet Brind who lived at Chelsfield in Kent. I have looked in two books about Randolph, but although one publishes a few letters written by his wife on his behalf, I couldn’t find out much about her. There might be more about her in “Randolph Caldecott 1846-1886, an Appreciation”, by Mary Gould Davis, published in Philadelphia on his Centenary in 1946. Randolph & Marian had no children.
For a lot more info about Randolph’s family, going back to the reign of Edward I and forward to 1985, I recommend the “Caldecott Pedigree”, obtainable from the Randolph Caldecott Society UK. For details, see
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|