Canterbury Family Genealogy Forum
Bethel Baptist Church, 1806, was the first permanent Protestant Church to be established west of the Mississippi River. It was located in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri, about two miles southwest of the present site of Jackson, Mo., on Highway 25 and about one half mile west.
From the Bethel Church Minutes, 1806-1867:
Departed this life on the 19th day of February 1861. Elder John Canterberry. Aged 75 years. He joined the regular Baptist Church in Virginia in the year 1813 and was licensed to preach for many a year before he was ordained a minister of the Gospel. He then moved to Missouri and joined the regular Baptist Church called Bethel in the month of March 1853 and was chosen Pastor of said church until the day of his death. Elder Canterberry was a preacher of sound faith that was delivered to the saints. His life was exemplified to all people that knew him; when at home he was engaged in working on his farm at peace with all neighbors and when out preaching to the world of mankind, freely gave it for as much as it was given to him freely, so he made the Gospel without a charge believing with all his heart that it was his duty to preach everywhere his mind led him and so he did all the time until he was taken down sick, and was kindly waited on until the messenger of death was permitted to separate his spirit from his body. Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord yea saith the spirit for they shall rest from their labor and their works do follow them. He has left a wife and 2 children, 1 grandson, and 1 stepson on the farm and other children scattered around with many brethren and neighbors and friends to mourn his loss.