|Posted By:||Mark Swick|
|Subject:||Re: Barbara E. Covert born ca 1705 married Johannes Swick|
|Post Date:||April 29, 2011 at 14:33:57|
|Forum:||Covert Family Genealogy Forum|
Found online at http://www.angelfire.com/ny/chickened/covertfamily.html
Have provided extract only of forebears of our common ancestor. All the Best!
DESCENDANTS OF TEUNIS JANSZEN COVERT
From Somerset County Genealogical Quarterly; Vol 8; No. 3; September 1991:
TEUNIS JANSZEN, the progenitor of the COVERT family of America, did not assume a surname designating his European origins. According to his own testimony, he came to America in 1651. It was not until 10 years later that he began using the last name Coevors. Of his four known children who were born in Holland, the marriage of only one is of record in America. The betrothal of Lucas Teunisz Coevers "young man from Heemstede in Holland" was announced in the RDC of Flatbush on 6 Aug 1682. A search was then made in the church records of Heemstede and the baptismal records of the first four known children of Teunis were found. Further research in the Book of Marriages brought to light this entry: "Teunis Janszen, young man from Lommel, living at Heemstede with Barbara Lucas van Kessel, young dame from Hoorn, living at Amsterdam. These persons were married at Swaegh, a village outide of Hoorn". This entry was made presumably December 1645.
Considering these new-found facts, the Covert family may be chronicled as: TEUNIS JANSZEN COVERT, born about 1620 at Lommel, the Province of Brabandt, Holland; married about December 1645 at Swaegh, Province of Noordt Hollandt, Holland, BARBARA LUCAS VAN KESSEL, born about 1625 at Hoorn, Province of Noordt Hollandt, Holland, the daughter of Lucas van Kessel.
COVERT GENEALOGY; Fischer, Covert, Patterson; 1989; has date of death for Teunis as about 1692/8 Brooklyn NY; date of death for Barbara as after 29 Apr 1700. They emigrated to New Amsterdam in 1651, later to Bedford LI where he became a magistrate.
Children of TEUNIS JANSZEN COVERT and BARBARA LUCAS VAN KESSEL:
+1. LUCAS bp 24 Feb 1647 Heemstede Holland; died between 9 Apr 1699 and 15 Aug 1704; married
27 Aug 1682 BARBARA SPRONG bp 27 July 1661 RDC New Amsterdam; died after 1737; daughter of Johannes Spronck and Annetje Sedalers/Sylers.
2. Jannetje bp 29 Mar 1648 Heemstede Holland; married Jan Hansen Bergen.
+3. Aechje bp 19 Sep 1649 Heemstede Holland; married about 1673 Dirck Paulszen Hoff; son of Paulus Dircksen and Geirtje Williamse. Dirck left will dated 19 Nov 1722.
+4. Jan bp 15 Jan 1651 Heemstede Holland; died before 1720 Millstone NJ; married about 1689 Jannetje Brokaw bp 17 Nov 1667 Mannheim Germany; died about 1722; daughter of Bourgon Brouccard and Catherine LeFevre. Jan left will dated 2 May 1719; proved 13 Apr 1723.
+5. Sarah bp 20 Apr 1653 New Amsterdam; died about 1689; married 7 Apr 1680 Arent Fredrickszen Blom.
+6. Marretje bp 20 Dec 1654 New Amsterdam; married 26 Nov 1682 Jean Meserole, Jr.; died about 1712; son of Jean Meserole and Jenne Carten.
+7. Aeltie born about 1658 Brooklyn NY; married 18 May 1679 William Post bp 28 June 1652 New Amsterdam; died about Apr 1703 LI NY; son of Lodewyck Cornelisen Post and Agnieje Bonen. William left will dated 31 Oct 1702; probated 21 May 1703.
+8. Annetje bp 28 Aug 1661 Brooklyn NY; died about 1698; married 16 Apr 1687 Gerret Sprong bp 2 Sep 1663 NY RDC; son of Johannes Sprong and Annetje Sodelaer.
+9. Mauritz bp 5 Dec 1663 Brooklyn NY; died about 1698 Bushwick NY; married 1 Apr 1690 Anne Fontyn bp 16 July 1662 DRC Flatbush NY; died about 1726; daughter of Carel Fonteyn and Catherine de Balie.
Children of Hans Teunise Covert and Jannetze Brokaw:
Named in will of Jan dated 2 May 1719; (*);
1. (*) Catherine born 1689 (?); married 16 Sep 1715 RDC New Amsterdam Benjamin Wood born 1676; son of Jeremy Wood and Susanna Pine; also married Thomas Bird.
2. (*) Ariaentje bp 3 Aug 1690; married Jacob/Jacobus (*) Coursen bp 6 Apr 1690 New Amsterdam; son of Jan Corsen and Mettine/Metje.
3. (*) Teunis/Anthony bp 16 Apr 1693 RDC New Amsterdam; married ca 1718 Marytie (unknown).
4. (*) Bragon bp 29 Mar 1696 Brooklyn NY; married 1 Dec 1723 RDC New Amsterdam Anna Slover/Selover born 21 July 1703 Flatlands LI NY; daughter of Isaac Selover and Judithe Waldron.
5. (*) Lucas/Luke born about 1699; married possibly Ann Brown.
6. (*) Jane born about 1703.
7. (*) Maria bp 6 Aug 1706; married about 1731 Joseph Montanye.
8. (*) Barbara/Egie bp 26 Oct 1709; married Johannes Swick. Records found on Swick family on internet say Barbara was born in Bound Brook NJ; died 1803 Millstone, Somerset Co. NJ; married NJ; Johannes Swick born 1705 Erlenbach Germany; died 1760 NJ; son of Matthys Swick and Veroica Wolle (Zwicksen).