|Posted By:||Albert McMurtry (Mac) Cunningham|
|Subject:||John Cunningham II, b 1792 VA d 1858 Rock Island, Warren, TN|
|Post Date:||March 08, 2013 at 12:03:48|
|Forum:||Cunningham Family Genealogy Forum|
Seeking information: Who are the parents of John Cunningham II (13 Sept 1792-12 October 1858)?
Find the names of John Cunninghamís parents by locating "first person accounts" and original source documents (wills, land transfers, Family Bible, court records) and genetic yDNA testing results.
Born 13 Sept 1792 VA; married Sarah Jane Swindle 6 May 1813 in White County, TN ; Captain in War of 1812; died 12 October 1858; buried Cunningham Cemetery at Rock Island, Warren County, TN
John Cunninghamís birthplace (probably VA) siblings and parentsí names are presently unknown. A reliable source, Goodspeedís Tennessee History, DID NOT include Johnís father name yet stated Johnís father was of Scotch-Irish descent, in the Revolutionary War and migrated from VA to Warren Co, TN in 1810.
What we do know
(1) Johnís story begins as a young man in 1810 at Rock Island in Warren County, TN. He acquired land in both Warren and White counties TN. Captain John Cunningham was in the War of 1812 in 1st Regiment West Tennessee Militia (13 Nov 1814-13 May 1815).
(2) John & Sarah Jane(Swindle) Cunningham had 4 of 6 children to live to adulthood. All were born in the early 1800's--William, Sarah Elizabeth, George Washington, John III.
(3) John Cunningham was known in his community as a Christian, Husband, Father, Pioneer, Patriot, Farmer, Tanner, Carpenter, Blacksmith, Distiller, Democrat and Grandfather. Johnís abilities and attributes are in part due to his parents.
(4) The overwhelming perponderance of evidence indicates that John Cunningham of Rock Island, Warren County, TN IS NOT related to John Cunningham of Viola, Warren County, TN or John Cunningham of Irving College, Warren County, TN.
(5) There are a number of newspaper accounts, Ancestry.com Family Trees, Applications for Sons of American Revolution and other ancestry databases which are basically incorrect but probably based on good faith regarding John Cunningham of Rock Island parentage.
Over Fork Over,
yDNA Haplogroup I2b1