|Posted By:||Michael Robert Redfern|
|Subject:||Re: Lake County Indiana Lamphiers|
|Post Date:||January 21, 2003 at 15:06:37|
|Forum:||Lamphier Family Genealogy Forum|
thought we might explore possible connections between our Lamphire's. my David Lanfear is located in the 1820 Benson, Rutland Co. VT Census, the 1830 & 1840 Ticonderoga, Essex Co. NY Census & the 1850 Grundy IL Census. specifically in 1840 Census David (listed in indexes as Daniel but it was transcribed incorrectly) Lanfear on page 116.
on page 117 is Loyd Lamphier with:
2 males 5-10
1 male 10-15
1 male 20-30
1 female 0-5
1 female 20-30
**next to Loyd Lamphire is a Daniel Bosworth - though no connection has been made - David Lanfear married Cynthia Bosworth - this may be a possible connection.
i believe this to be the same Loyd Lamphier that appears in the 1850 Lake Co. Indiana Census. the 1850 census (given the birthyears and places of the children) would indicate that these Lamphiers left NY between 1844 & 1846. my David Lanfear left NY after 1840, but arrived in IL by 1846.
given that these two Lamphiers are less than 1 page apart in the census one cannot help but wonder if there is a relationship between the two families. we believe David to be the son of John Lamphere Jr. b. abt. 1861 Norwich, New London CT d. APR 6 1813 Dorset, Bennington VT m. Mary Unknown who had three known children:
1. Asa Lamphere b. abt. 1786 d. DEC 10 1831 m. Mary Elizabeth Whitehouse 1809 Dorset, Bennington VT b. abt. 1782 d. DEC 22 1856
2. Mary "Polly" Lamphere b. JAN 1788 d. MAY 26 1862 m. Thomas Baldwin APR 14 1802 Dorset, Bennington VT b. 1774 Mansfield, Tolland CT (father of Lucien Baldwin mentioned above)
3. David Lamphere b. abt. 1793 NY d. SEP 1869 near Galt, San Joaquin, CA. he married Cynthia Phillips Bosworth JUN 29 1817 in Benson, Rutland VT and they had the following known children:
1. Son Lanfear b. 1818 Rutland VT
2. Maria Lanfear b. 1820 Rutland VT d. JUN 2 1895 Kane IL m. Lucien Baldwin
3. Sarah Lanfear b. SEP 22 1821 Rutland VT d. FEB 3 1898 Kane IL m. Aaron Gibbs Allen
4. Unknown Lanfear b. bef. 1826 Rutland VT or Essex NY d. bef. 1840 prob. Essex NY
5. Charles "Carlos" Lanfear b. JUN 20 1830 Essex NY d. SEP 27 1907 Santa Cruz CA m. Almira Bowen
6. Mary A. Lanfear b. 1833 Essex NY d. 1907 CA m. James Harvey Cummings
7. Smith Lanfear b. 1837 Essex NY d. AUG 16 1849 Grundy IL
8. David Luther Lanfear b. AUG 1 1837 Essex NY d. AUG 16 1846 Kane IL
** there is a will dated 1814 that names David and Asa as sons of John - also a family history reference that mentions David's daughter Maria marrying her first cousin Lucien Baldwin.
i would be curious to hear if you have any more early info on Loyd and if any of these names may help us make a possible connection.