|Subject:||Re: Sackville - Turner connection??|
|Post Date:||August 19, 2004 at 13:51:37|
|Forum:||Sackville Family Genealogy Forum|
Edward Turner of Tuthill, Therfield, Herts, gentleman; born Aspenden, Herts, 6 July 1664, son of Rev. William Turner and Elizabeth dau. of James Willymot, lord of the manors of Kelshall and Woodhall, Herts; educ. St Pauls and Jesus College, Cambridge; a non-juror; married 4 October 1688 at Ely House Chapel, London, Ann Lee alias Sackville (2 November 1667-3 March 1738), natural daughter of Charles Sackville, 6th Earl of Dorset and Alice Lee, and died 6 December 1755, having had, with other children died young:
(1) Rev. Sackville Turner, born 3 August 1689; educ. Jesus College, Cambridge; Curate of Therfield 1712-26; subscribed to The History of the Arians, published 1721, as "Chaplain of his Grace the Duke of Dorset"; Vicar of Sandon, Herts, 1727-31; of Bures, Essex, 1731-4, and of West Bergholt, Essex, 1734-?1752; Prebendary of St Pauls 1751-2; married 1 June 1736 Elizabeth Daniels and dsp 20 September 1752.
(2) Anne Turner, born 8 March 1691; married 26 April 1716 her first cousin Rev. John Taylor of Harlow, Essex (died 1743), and dsp 24 November 1748;
(3) William Turner, see below;
(4) Elizabeth Turner, born 28 May 1695; died unm. 30 October 1736;
(5) Martha Turner, born 1 August 1705; married 28 February 1741 William Fordham of Therfield (died 1765), and dsp January 1777.
William Turner (above), lace merchant, of Valenciennes, France, and Hoddesdon, Herts; born 3 April 1693; married 16 May 1728 Ann Stace (died 1763), daughter of Richard Stace, Clerk at Haberdashers Hall, and died 1754, having had, with other children died young:
(1) Martha Magdalen Turner, born 24 July 1732; married (1) 26 June 1757 Richard Lely of Hoddesdon, apothecary, (died 1762), (2) 14 January 1772 Rev. John Rix of Newport, Essex, and died leaving a daughter, Harriet Rix;
(2) Edward Dominique Albert Turner, born 16 January 1735, died unm. 19 June 1756 of smallpox at Bapaume, France;
(3) (Louis Marmaduke) Sackville Turner, Captain 33rd Regiment; born 11 January 1740; married 28 January 1772 Sarah only child of Edward Crockley of Watton, Norfolk, gentleman, and was drowned with his wife while sailing to Ireland 5 September 1774, leaving a son and daughter;
(4) Sir (Francis) Barnard (Alexander) Turner, Major of the Honourable Artillery Company, Alderman and Sheriff of London and Middlesex, M.P. for Southwark; born 14 December 1741; married (1) 20 June 1767 Sarah Perry Tillett (died 1782), younger daughter of William Tillett of St Mary Axe, and Latton, Essex, gentleman, by whom he had 3 sons and 3 daughters (2) Lucy Swiney (died 1817), daughter of George Swiney of Pontefract, Yorks, by whom he had one son. He died 15 June 1784.
Ann Lee alias Sackville is mentioned in Knole and the Sackvilles by V. Sackville-West, at pages 142/3 of the edition I have. From contemporary papers it appears that her mother Alice Lee was born in London on St Thomas' Day (21 Dec) 1644, was described in the 1690's, from memory, as either of St Martin's, or St Giles, in-the-Fields, and was alive at 21 Dec 1715.
There is an article about the Turner family in the magazine Hertfordshire Countryside (December 1975 issue).