“The Book of Prominent Pennsylvanians“
Leader Publishing Co., 1913
“JOHN W. CHALFANT - The late JOHN WEAKLEY CHALFANT, one of Pittsburgh’s most prominent business men, was born at Turtle Creek, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, December 13, 1827. His father, HENRY CHALFANT, came from near Philadelphia in 1827 and settled at Turtle Creek, where he purchased a farm. He married ISABELLA C. WEAKLEY, daughter of SAMUEL and HESTER WEAKLEY, of Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. Ten children were born to this union, of which JOHN W. was the eldest. JOHN W. CHALFANT grew to maturity on the home farm, attending the district school which was supplemented by a course in Jefferson College at Canonsburg. Graduating from that institution in 1850, he entered the employ of Zug & Painter, iron manufacturers of Pittsburgh, where he remained until 1855-56, when he purchased an interest in the firm of Spang & Company, iron manufacturers. In 1858 the firm name was changed to Spang, Chalfant & Company, the firm being composed of Charles H. Spang. JOHN W. CHALFANT, Campbell B. Herron, Alexander M. Byers and A. G. Lloyd. GEORGE A. CHALFANT, a brother of our subject, became a member in 1863.
During the life of JOHN W. CHALFANT he was associated with nearly every enterprise that had for its purpose the upbuilding and development of the financial, manufacturing and social interests of Pittsburgh and vicinity. He was the promoter and organizer of the Pittsburgh and Western Railroad, also of the Pittsburgh Junction Railroad. He was one of the organizers and for years was president of the People’s National Bank; he served as president of the Manufacturers’ and Merchants’ Insurance Company of Pittsburgh; and was a director of the People’s Savings Bank, Spang, Chalfant & Company, Isabella Furnace Company, Pittsburgh Locomotive Works, Western Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb, Western Pennsylvania Hospital and Allegheny General Hospital. He was one of the founders and for many years served as president of the Duquesne Club. When it was decided to hold a sanitary fair in Pittsburgh for the benefit of the soldiers in the field in our Civil War, MR. CHALFANT, with two others, was sent to Cleveland, Ohio, to negotiate for buildings that had been used for similar purposes in that city. Upon their arrival they found that if secured, the bargain must be closed at once, and without waiting to confer with the home mission they assumed all the risks and gave their individual (pg. 145) notes for ten thousand dollars. This was a large amount of these young men. The project proved a great success, and over a quarter of a million was realized. He was president of the board of trustees for many years of the First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh. MR. CHALFANT was probably the first man in the world to use natural gas for manufacturing purposes. The gas was piped to his iron mills before other manufacturers utilized it. May 31, 1860 JOHN W. CHALFANT married MISS ELLEN QUIGLEY McCREA, daughter of WILLIAM and LIBERTY M. McCREA. To MR. and MRS. CHALFANT five children were born, all of whom are living: MRS. MARY C. McKEE, ISABELLA C., HENRY McCREA and ANNIE CHALFANT. MR. CHALFANT died December 28, 1898.”
“History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania”
Chicago : A. Warner Co., 1889:
Cushing, Thomas, 1821.
“W. B. McCREA, farmer, postoffice Wilkinsburg, was born in 1840. His great-grandfather, WILLIAM McCREA, in 1769 purchased some 400 acres of land in Allegheny county, and his son settled on it about 1780. He was of Irish parentage, a farmer, and erected (pg. 396) in 1807, the stone house which is yet standing in a good state of preservation. He married SUSAN BRYSON, of Cumberland Valley, and became the father of eight children. WILLIAM, among the eldest, was born, in 1795, on the farm purchased by his father, where he was reared. Like his father, he was a farmer and general merchant. He married LIBERTY McKINNEY, of Franklin county, Pa., daughter of DAVID McKINNEY, and three children were born to them, two of whom grew to maturity: ELEANOR (MRS. JOHN W. CHALFANT) and W. B. The latter was educated at Wilkinsburg Academy. He married, in 1867, ELIZABETH BEATTY, daughter of SAMUEL BEATTY, of Washington county, Pa., and six children bless their union, four living: WILLIAM B., JR., SAMUEL B., LIBERTY McKINNEY and NELLIE CHALFANT. Our subject has always followed farming as an occupation. All the family are Presbyterians, and MR. McCREA is a republican.”
Title: Annals of southwestern Pennsylvania, by Lewis Clark Walkinshaw ... Vol. 4.
Author: Walkinshaw, Lewis Clark
“SIDNEY ALEXANDER CHALFANT, M. D. - During a long and distinguished medical career, which spans over thirty-five years, DR. SIDNEY ALEXANDER CHALFANT of Pittsburgh, has come to be recognized as one of the outstanding gynecologists of the State, and today is associated with a number of the leading medical institutions of this Commonwealth and elsewhere.
DR. CHALFANT, who is a member of an old and distinguished Pennsylvania family which traces its American lineage back to an ancestor who came to this country with William Penn on his initial voyage, was born at Wilkins Township, Allegheny County, July 7, 1875, the son of HENRY RICHARD and EVALINE (GRAHAM) CHALFANT. His father, who was born on July 25, 1837, and died September 30, 1889, engaged in farming throughout his life, and his mother was the daughter of JAMES GRAHAM, a prominent educator, who taught school at Beulah Church. It is on a portion of property which formerly formed part of the church site, that DR. CHALFANT now makes his home.
Reverting to family genealogy we learn that JOHN CHALFANT, who came to this country with Penn aboard the “Welcome,” was deeded six hundred and forty acres of land in Chester County in 1682 and later, in 1699, settled on a two-hundred-and-fifty-acre tract of land at Rockland Manor in the same county. This was the family home until the early part of the nineteenth century, when HENRY CHALFANT, born May 13, 1792, removed to Turtle Creek, Allegheny County, settling here in 1827. He established a general store, post office and relay station here for the old Pittsburgh and Philadelphia stage. He married ISABELLA CAMPBELL WEAKLEY and they were the parents of HENRY RICHARD CHALFANT, father of DR. CHALFANT.
DR. CHALFANT received the early part of his general education in the Franklin School of Wilkins Township and later completed this part of his studies at the Wilkinsburg High School. He then attended the Kiskiminetas Preparatory School at Saltsburg for one year and at the end of this period decided to give up further formal education in favor of work. At this time, in 1892, he went to Homestead and for the next two years worked in that community. By 1894 he was ready to resume his studies and entered Geneva College, from which he was graduated in 1897 with a Bachelor of Science degree. Having determined on a medical career he matriculated at the Medical School of Western Pennsylvania University, now the University of Pittsburgh, and later transferred to the University of Pennsylvania from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1901. He then served as an intern in the Mercy Hospital for one year and during this period began special study in gynecology.
In January, 1903, he established himself in a general practice at Pittsburgh and two years later resumed his training in gynecology, working with Dr. F. F. Simpson. He maintained this association until 1915 when he launched an independent practice as a gynecologist, which he has since conducted with outstanding success. With each year he has won increasing prestige in his specialty and been invited to serve on the staffs of the South Side, and St. Margaret’s hospitals of Pittsburgh, and for a number of years has been staff gynecologist of the Allegheny General Hospital as well as a staff member of the Elizabeth Steel Magee Hospital and the Columbia Hospital.
DR. CHALFANT is a member and former secretary and chairman of the section of obstetrics, gynecology, and abdominal surgery, of the American Medical Association belongs to the Pennsylvania State Medical (pg. 398) Society and is a member and former secretary and president of the Allegheny County Medical Society. He also holds membership in the American Gynecological Society, is a Fellow in the American College of Surgeons and belongs to the Pittsburgh Academy of Medicine.
Aside from professional pursuits he has also been active in a social and civic capacity and is a member of a number of the leading clubs and societies in this city, including the University Club and the Edgewood Golf Club. He fraternizes with Fellowship Lodge, No. 279, of the Order of Free and Accepted Masons, the Pennsylvania Consistory of the Scottish Rite, in which he holds a thirty-second degree, and Syria Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is a Republican politically, and worships at the Third Presbyterian Church.
On April 24, 1905, in Philadelphia, DR. CHALFANT married EDITH LIST, daughter of WILLIAM H. and ELEANOR (MURDOCK) LIST, and they are the parents of one daughter, EVALINE, educated in the Peabody High School of Pittsburgh, and Wellesley College, in Massaschusetts.”
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|