The information presented below came from: Ferdinand B. Focke, THOMAS DEYE OWINGS OF MARYLAND- SOLDIER AND PIONEER OF THE WEST: a RECORD OF HIS LIFE (Maryland Historical Magazine, 1935, Vol XXX,pp 39-41):
"Thomas Deye Owings, son of Captain John Cockey Owings and his wife, Colgate Deye Colgate, was born at "John and Thomas Forest," Baltimore County, Maryland, March 7, 1776, and died at Brenham, Texas, October 6, 1853.
"At an early age he was sent to Kentucky to manage the large holdings of his father, which consisted of the Slate Iron furnace, grist mills, and real estate. The Slate Iron furnace was owned in 1787 by a company composed of John Cockey Owings, President, Jacob Meyers, builder, Willis Green, Christopher Greenup. It came into blast about 1790. In 1795, John Cockey Owings became the owner by purchase. His son, Thomas, was manager until his father's death in 1810, when by inheritance, he became the sole owner. In 1822 because of the panic it failed, and was operated for a few years by the Owings Trustees who were appointed by the court.
" Most of the malleable and cast iron used in the West and South came from this foundry. Articles made at the furnace were hauled to the Kentucky and Licking Rivers, loaded on flat boats, and shipped to Louisville, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and New Orleans. As early as 1807, the United States Government had a contract with this foundry to manufacture solid and grape shot for use in the West. In 1815, it made the 22 and 32 pound cannon balls used in the battle of New Orleans by General Andrew Jackson. The original furnace stack is still standing with an elm tree growing out of the top. A memorial tablet has been placed on the stack by the state of Kentucky.
" General Owings married at Lexington, Kentucky, in 1803, Maria, the daughter of Colonel George Nicloles, son of Robert Carter Nicloles of Virginia and Kentucky and his wife Mary Smith, the daughter of John and Mary Buchanan Smith of Baltimore, Maryland.
" After Colonel Owings' marriage, he lived in a stone house (fort) near the furnace until his home at Owingsville was completed in 1814. This is a large three-story brick building with basement, kitchen, and servants' quarters and heated by huge fireplaces. The mantels and wood work were black walnut, and were hand carved. The architect was Mr. Latrobe, of Baltimore. A wide hall went through the center of the building, and also had a spiral stairway, self-supporting, up to the third floor. This stairway which was made of mahogany, was made in Baltimore and hauled to Owingsville by ox carts. It is said to have cost ten thousand dollars. The mantels have disappeared, but the stairway still stands. The building in now occupied by a bank, law offices, hotel, and garage. The total cost of the house was estimated at sixty thousand dollars which was a huge sum at that time.
"On his visit East, Colonel Owings met Louis Phillipe of France who was his guest from July 17, 1814, until July 22, 1815. The family have letters from Louis Phillipe and Lafayette in appreciation of his hospitality.
" In the war of 1812, Colonel Owings recruited a regiment of 377 men, receiving his commission as Colonel of the 28th United States Infantry, April 1, 1813. They were attached to the Kentucky regiments under Governor Selby, and joined General Harrison's army in September, 1813. These troops landed on September 27th at Malden and on the 29th took possession of Detroit without opposition. On October 2nd, General Harrison with Selby and 3,500 picked men recrossed the river and pursued General Proctor, who a few days before retreated to the Moravian towns on the Thames River, 86 miles north-west of Detroit, where a severe battle took place in which the Indian chief, Tecumseh, was killed by a Kentuckian.
"About 84 men of Captain Stockton's company of 28th regular infantry volunteered to fight as marines and sharp-shooters in the rigging of Perry's ships in the naval battle of Lake Erie, September 10, 1815. Commander Perry arrived off Sandusky on the 5th of September. Captain Richardson, who had been sent to Erie by General Harrison, returned with the fleet. He came immediately to headquarters at Senecatown to announce its arrival and request a company of soldiers to act as marines. General Harrison, accompanied by several officers, went to the fleet, taking with him a company commanded by Captain Stockton of the 28th regiment. Colonel Owings and 28 men volunteered under Lieutenant Coburn, relying on their skill as sharp-shooters, were placed in the rigging. It is said that they helped with the victory for Commander Perry.
"After the death of his wife and the loss of his fortune, Colonel Owings offered the services of himself and two sons in the war with Mexico for Texas independence. His son , Robert Smith Owings, was killed in battle, April 1, 1836, at San Jacinto. At the close of the war he lived at Brenham, Texas, where both he and his sons are buried.
"Colonel Owings was a State Senator of Kentucky in 1823, and Representative, 181501818. Associated Judge of the first Circuit Court of Bath County, 1811. His land grants were signed by Henry Clay.
"Mary Nicholas Owings, born Sept. 23, 1812, daughter of Thomas Deye Owings and wife Maria, married May 9, 1835, at Owingsville, Ky., Sylvanus Clark Bascom; their daughter Maria Charchilla Bascom, born March 1, 1839, married 1874, Doctor Charles Albert of Baltimore, whose daughter Frances Taylor Albert, born 1875, married William A. Pleasants of Baltimore and Idaho."
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|