I am looking for UNKNOWN Coil, wife of Thomas J. Crail (b. 1811 KY). I know of two children born to her and Thomas: Sarah Ann Crail and Hannah J. Crail. Then in 1845 Thomas married Catherine Lock in Rush Co. IN. Thomas' parents were James B. Crail (b. abt. 1783 PA) and Margaret Stewart (b. abt. 1784 PA).
Thomas' father James B. Crail was born in 1783 in PA and married Margaret Stewart. Thomas was b. in 1811 KY, as I mentioned. Thomas and UNKNOWN Coil Crail's daughter Sarah was listed in two censuses as born in OH or IN (depending on the census you look at). The 1840 Shelby Co. IN census has 1 male age 20 and under 30; 1 female under 5; 1 female age 15 and under 20. The 1850 census has a different wife, Catherine Lock, whom Thomas married 20 Jan. 1845 in Rush Co. IN. Thomas' daughters Sarah and Hannah were born before 1845, so they are not Catherine Lock's children. Here is the 1850 Harrison, Bartholomew Co., IN census information:
Thomas J. Crail 39 KY
Catherine Crail 26 IN
Sarah Ann Crail 12 IN (my ancestor)
Hannah J. 9 IN
(notice the 6-year lag between Hannah and Margaret)
Margaret C. 3 IN
Rachel 1 IN
Another researcher Hazel L. Deckhard in 1987 and Garnet Hunt White, had this about the Crail line that married into the UNKNOWN Coil line:
"Thomas Crail was born about 1752. He or his father came to PA from Scotland, along with a cousin Sam Crail in the early 1700s. He was in VA until 1790 and then later went to KY when he remained until his dathe in 1808 or 1809 on Main Licking, Pendelton Co., KY. He married Elizabeth UNKNOWN in PA. She died after 1811 in Main Licking, Pendelton Co., KY. They had six children: five boys and one girl.
1. Wilson Crail (b. abt. 1776 PA; d. in KY) m. Polly Purdy 2 Jan. 1800
Prior to marrying Wilson, Polly and a sister were kidnapped by Indians, who killed two brothers. Daniel Boone later gave the Indians 10 bushels of corn for the two girls. Polly went back and lived with white people and later married Wilson. Her sister stayed with the Indians. (I know nothing more about this right now.)
2. Absolom Crail (b. abt 1778 PA) m. Lida Tate 31 May 1804 KY. The had several children whose names are unknown.
3. Elizabeth Crail (b. abt. 1778 PA; d. KY) m. Edward Downing 5 Sept. 1799 and they had four children: Eliza, Sally, Elizabeth, and Polly (m. Baker Keeler).
4. James E. Crail (The middle initial should be B.: James B. Crail. Perhaps the E. initial came from a document typed on an old typewriter whose B didn't type well and looked like an E, so the person transcribing the document thought it was an E. and didn't confirm it with research. Or perhaps it came verbally (a spoken B. can sound like E.) At any rate, censuses confirm that James B., not James E., is this Crail. The middle initial E. should be B.
5. Lilbourn Crail (b. Feb. 1801; d. 12 Mar. 1832 Newton, IL; bur. Effingham, IL) m. Sarah Elizabeth Dean. They went by covered wagon to Jasper Co. IL in 1860. They owned land by Newton and Wheeler.
6. Milton Crail (b. ? KY); owned a large department store in Cincinnati, OH. (The document I'm working from indicates that the information above was compiled by Vera Kirkham at Indiana State LIbrary.)(NOTE: What I've typed above has the same names and dates, but organized differently.)
There's more if you are interested. My main question is does anyone know who UNKNOWN Coil might be?
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|