I'm searching for information about George W. Curl, the step-father of my wife's great-grandmother, Dora Jones Moore. Dora Jones was born on 16 Sep 1867 in neighboring Dade Co. MO, daughter of William E. and Caroline W. Jones. She had two known siblings: Mary Frances Jones (b. 18 Sep 1863) and Henry Euel Jones (b. unknown).
We have found a handwritten note written by one of Doraís children that describes Dora's early life and indicates that her father died when Dora was young. The note confirms that her mother remarried (without identifying the name of her second husband) and died in childbirth along with the baby of her second husband.
Iíve been able to confirm that George W. Curl is Dora Jonesí stepfatheróhe is identified as her stepfather and legal guardian in her marriage license certificate.
What I know about George W. Curl so far:
1. Iíve found listings on genealogy websites indicating that George W. Curl had three wives:
a. Nancy A. Phillips, b. 12 Jan 1835 in Cedar Co. MO, m. 15 Feb 1853 in Cedar Co. MO, d. 9 Dec 1857 in Polk Co. MO.
b. Rachel Kissiah Fox, b. 28 Oct 1837 in Cedar Co. MO, m. 31 Oct 1858 in Polk Co. MO, d. 4 Jul 1879 in Cedar Co. MO
c. Caroline W. unknown, b. 30 Apr 1845, m. unknown, d. 13 Jun 1882 in Cedar Co. MO.
2. The cemetery records of Lindley Prairie cemetery in Cedar Co MO included on the Cedar Co. GenWeb site show George and Rachel buried there. There is no listing of a Caroline Jones Curl or baby Curl as being buried there. I have searched the other online Cedar Co. cemetery records and could not find any listing for Caroline Jones Curl or baby Curl.
3. George is listed as a head of the household in the 1870 US census of Jefferson Township in Cedar Co. (dwelling #67), when he was 34. I only have access to an index of this census record, but I assume that Rachel is likely listed there as being his wife, since she died in 1879.
4. I donít have access to the 1880 census records for Cedar Co. MO, so I donít know the details of Georgeís record there. Caroline W. Jones is listed in the 1880 census of Morgan Township in Dade Co MO (dwelling #197), age 35, born in TN, a widow and head of the household consisting of her children Mary (age 14), Eudora (13) and Henry E. (11) and her mother, Margret S. Mitchell (age 74, born in TN).
5. In his capacity as Doraís stepfather and legal guardian as stated in the marriage license document (recorded in Cedar Co. Marriage Book D, page 83), George consented to Dora's marriage to James Granville Moore on 10 Sep 1882 in Cedar Co., and the wedding ceremony was conducted at his home, officiated by John A. McIntosh. Dora was a week short of being age 15 at the time of her marriage to James, and her address is listed in the marriage license as Bear Creek in Cedar Co. (Jamesí address was listed as Davenport in Dade Co.)
Iím particularly interested in viewing the details of the marriage license record for George and Caroline Jones; an adoption record of George formally adopting the Jones children; and Georgeís newspaper obituary (presumably in the Stockton MO newspaper) following his death on 12 Oct 1911. Information or leads about George and his life would be appreciated.
Thanks, John Reid
P.O. Box 7164
Libertyville IL 60048
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|