I haven't sorted out all of the Deboards in White Co, but here's my working theory.
The Debords arrived in White Co ca 1818 from Wilkes Co NC with a brief stop in Sumner Co TN. My theory is all of these were siblings and children of the John Debord b 1730 that shows in the 1790 Surry Co NC census:
1. Wm Debord b ca 1769 marr Lydia Forrester ca 1790 probably NC; spent a couple years in Sumner Co TN (1816 and 1817) before moving on to White in 1818.
2. George Debord b c 1775 marr Lydia Debord (probably a cousin or maybe a widow) in 1804 Surry; stayed in Surry, then Washington VA; his son John that marr Emily Summers came to White after 1850.
3. John Debord b ca 1775 marr Jean Kilby in Wilkes 1804; came to White befor 1830
4. Benjamin Debord b ca 1780 marr Nancy Summers in 1809 Wilkes in 1809; came to White before 1830.
5. Solomon Debord b ca 1790; marr Polly Franklin in Sumner Co TN in 1818; came to White before 1820.
6. Mary Debord marr Richard W. Smith; Do you know when she came to White? I would doubt it was prior to 1818.
The 1790 Surry census shows John with 3 males greater 16, 6 males less than 16 and 3 females. So, most likely that means 8 sons and 2 daughters still living at home. I can't discount that some may have been an extended family of in-laws and/or grandchildren. That does seem like a houseful of kids for a 60 yr old guy. I believe the Issac and Jacob in the 1790 Surry census may have also been sons of this John.
So, unless you have something that indicates the Smiths were in White before 1818, I would concentrate my looking around Wilkes/Surry Co NC. I haven't found any Deboards in Stokes NC; although some of the families that went to White with the Deboards were originally part of the Moravian community in Stokes. The basement of the Wilkes Co Library has a nice genealogy section; lots of group sheets prepared in pen and ink by local folks in loose leaf binders. No Index that I could find. I'll guarantee you won't find these anyplace else!
PS: are you the same person as Betty? If so, you're definitely a Deboard. They always keep chaning their names (grin).
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|