I'm trying to find more info on the following family:-
From 1881 US Census for Addison, Steuben, New York, USA:
- Frank DEGAN, b. 1825 Ireland (age 55) - occupation: stationary engineer.
His family also listed on the census are:-
- married to Johanah ? , b. 1826, Ireland (age 54)
- son: Frank DEGAN, b. 1856 New York (age 24)
- grandson: Frank DEGAN, b. 1879 New York (age 1)
- son: John DEGAN, b. 1853 New York (age 27)
- son: James DEGAN, b. 1856 New York (age 24)
- son: Michael DEGAN, b. 1859 New York (age 21)
- son: William DEGAN, b. 1861 New York (age 19)
- son: Thomas DEGAN, b. 1863 New York (age 17)
[All the sons are working as sash factory hands.]
I have also found the following details & I'm wondering if this is the same person.
Francis DEIGAN, aged 25, farmer, arrived 27/01/1851 in New York from Derry City, Northern Ireland on the "Enterprize" ship. Francis, more common as a girl's name, was often changed to Frank in men. Also, DEIGAN may have been changed to DEGAN. So, I'm wondering if this is the same Frank DEGAN that appears aged 55 on the 1881 US census.
Does anyone know anything more about this family?
I'm working on research for the DEIGAN family in Northern Ireland, where its known that several relatives emigrated to the US around 1840-1860s. En route, the surname may have been changed to DEGAN/DEEGAN.
Thanks for any more info.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|