Your Elias was the son of John DETTERO and Mary HOFFMAN. The following is taken from my DETHROW book that I wrote in 2000:
Mary Hoffman DETTERO
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN/JOHANN DETTERO was born 1745 in Germany, and died 1820. He married MARY HOFFMAN Abt. 1775 in Shenandoah, Co. VA, daughter of HANS HOFFMAN and CATHERINE BEST. Children of JOHN DETTERO and MARY HOFFMAN are:
2. i. JOHN TETHEROW;b. Abt. 1783; d. Aft. 1838. Many descendants used, “DETHEROW” spelling.
ii. MARY TETHEROW; m. WILLIAM KING, June 14, 1800, Lincoln Co., NC.
iii. SUSANNAH “SUSAN” DEDRO; m. HENRY SHRUM (son of Nicholas Shrum), Mar. 7, 1797, Lincoln, NC.
iv. ELIZABETH “LIZZIE” TETHEROW/TOTHEROW, b. 1772, Shenandoah Co. VA; m. JOHN SHRUM, 1803.
3. v. MICHAEL DUDEROW; b. 1776, Shenandoah,Co. VA; d. 1813, Route from Alabama to MO; married BARBARA SHRUM on Dec. 24, 1798. ALL of their children adopted the spelling of “TETHEROW”.
4. vi. CATHARINE TETHEROW/TOTHEROW; b. 1782; d. Abt. 1827, Little Tennessee River, Monroe,TN.
5. vii.HANNAH TETHERRO; b. 1784, Shenandoah Co. VA.; m. MARTIN KEENER.
6. viii.GEORGE TUTHERO; b. 1785; d. Lincoln, NC. m. SUSAN PLONK.
ix. MARGARET “PEGGY” TETHEROW/TOTHEROW; b. 1786, Shenandoah Co., VA; m.JOHN DIXON.
7. x. JACOB TETHERO/DETHRO; b. 1794, Lincoln, NC. CONFIRMED FOR BIRTHYEAR, still living in 1850.
8. xi. SOLOMON DUTRO; b. 1795, Lincoln, NC.
xii.BARBARA TETHEROW/TOTHEROW; b. 1801, Lincoln, NC; m. DANIEL STAMEY.
9. xiii.JONATHAN DETHEROW; b. 1803, Lincoln, NC; d. Jan. 1838, East TN m. Louise Clemmer.
xiv.SALLIE TETHEROW/TOTHEROW; b. 1804, Lincoln, NC; m. JACOB PLONK, Dec. 17, 1824. (Jacob was a cousin to a Dr. Jacob Plonk.)
10.xv.ELI TETHEROW (JOHN). He married KATHERINE “KATIE” HOPE Apr. 21, 1818 in Lincoln, NC.
10.ELI TETHEROW (JOHN). He married KATHERINE “KATIE” HOPE Apr. 21, 1818 in Lincoln, NC. There is conflicting information on whether this Eli was the son of John Dettero (and Mary Hoffman) or 1st son John TETHEROW (and Elizabeth Clemmer). In regard to this discussion, we base our decision that this Eli was the son of John Dettero and Mary Hoffman, by the following information. In the 1850 Reynolds CO. Missouri Census it lists the following family that is likely the Eli who married Catherine Hope on April 18, 1818 in NC.
Name Age Sex Place of Birth
Eli Dethroe 50 M NC
Catherine 50 F NC
Eliza Jane 18 F TN
Sarah 16 F TN
Abselem(Eli) 10 M TN
Annanias 8 M TN
If Eli was 50 years old in the 1850 census he would have been born in 1799-1800, which is three years before John Tetherow and Elizabeth Clemmer married in 1803. We realize he could have been born out of wedlock or been the son of a different mother but think that is unlikely. Also wonder if he is not the son of John Dettero and Mary Hoffman. Until proof is made otherwise, I am putting this Eli information under John Dettero and Mary Hoffman. Any proof of either is requested. Other sources have sent me this list of children of ELI TETHEROW/TOTHEROW and KATIE HOPE. Please note that Polly, many times, is a nickname for Sarah. Additional children are:
i. BESSIE TETHEROW/TOTHEROW, m. --------- SINGLETON.
ii. POLLY TETHEROW/TOTHEROW.
iii. MARGARET TETHEROW/TOTHEROW.
iv. JOEL TETHEROW/TOTHEROW.
We have been unable to find this family again in census records but did find the following in the 1860 MO census for Iron County:
“Eli Duthero, age 20, Male, born in TN living with Eli Singleton, age 24, Male.” Note: We have information that this Eli was the same person as Abselem age 10 above.
1860 Reynolds CO. MO lists: “Joel Dethrow, age 28, Male, born in Tn and Margaret Dethrow, age 26, Female, born in MO.”
Hope this helps,
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|