Beth, Thanks for digging through the Cecil Smythe book and listing the children of Solomon & Elizabeth DOBKINS. I spent a few days searching through my "records and rumors" files to see what I could match up, and had some success:
1) PHEBE - She did marry Wm. Latham on 24 Aug 1839 in Claiborne Co., TN. They were there for the 1850 Census (family 559) taken on 26 Sep 1850, and her age was 40.
2) JACOB - He married Rachel Karns on 9 Feb 1832 in Lee Co., VA. They were on the Claiborne Co., TN. 1850 Census (family 558), and his age was 38. This is the couple that was buried in the Fairview Cem. of Gainesville, TX. His tombstone says he was born 29 Dec 1811, and died 7 Jun 1870.
3) GEORGE - It's rumored that he married Nancy Parks in about 1828. He apparently died at the age of about 24, as there are records of his Estate sale on 11 Sep 1837 in Claiborne Co., TN. (Will Bk.A-p.3 & 10). A "Nancy Dobkins" was named as his Administratrix.
4) HUGH - If I traced the right man, he moved to Missouri at about the same time as his brother Alexander. He got Land Grants in Hickory Co., MO. in 1844. It's rumored that he married Hannah Neely before he left Tennesee. Hugh & Hannah were on the 1850 Census (family 344) of McDonald Co., MO. with their oldest 5 children born in MO. and their youngest son born in AR. Hugh got more Land Grants in Benton Co., AR. in 1860. There are rumors that his farm structures were burned during the Civil War, which may be true, since the Pea Ridge battlefield was a few miles east of his farm. Hugh and Hannah "DABKINS" were on the 1880 Census of Benton Co., AR. Census records say Hugh was born in VA. (probably just north of TN.) in 1814. An Arkansas biography about son Jacob S. Dobkins reports that Hugh died 1882, and Hannah died three years later.
5) ALEXANDER - (This is who we've been discussing)
6) MARCELLUS - (b.1817 - I have no information)
7) NANCY - I show a Claiborne Co. marriage of "Nancy Dobkins" to James Belvin on 30 Jan 1839. However, I can't say if this "Nancy" was a daughter of Solomon, or the widow of his son George, who died in 1837.
8) LUCINDA - reportedly born 1827 - There was a Claiborne Co., TN. marriage of "Lucinda Dobkins" to N. Brooks on 10 Aug 1850.
9) MINERVA - reportedly born 1830 - There was a Claiborne Co., TN. marriage of "Manery? Dobkins" to J. H. Bullard on 20 Jul 1848.
In an earlier posting I mentioned 2 boys named Clinton(b.1832) and Marcellus(b.1836), and those 2 boys were listed as living with Solomon & Elizabeth on the 1850 Census. Solomon & Elizabeth were both 63 years old in 1850. Although it's possible, I'm doubtful that Elizabeth had children after about 1830 (when she was 43 years old). Since their son George evidently died in 1837, I'm wondering if those 2 boys were George's, and they were being raised by their grandparents.
The other girl I mentioned in that posting was "Barthina Dobkins". She was born 1824 in TN. and married John Dodson on 19 Oct 1839. They were listed on the 1840 Census, right between Solomon and his two married sons Jacob and Alexander. They were also listed on the 1850 Census right next to Jacob & Rachel Dobkins. Their oldest daughter was named Elizabeth, and two younger Dodson girls were named Manery and Phebe. It sure looks like Barthina named her daughters after her mother and two of her sisters. I'm not smart enough to prove that Cecil Smythe missed reporting Barthina as a child of Solomon and Elizabeth Dobkins, but it looks suspicious.
At any rate, I'm happy to learn that so many pieces of the information I was trying to cobble together seem to match what was in the Cecil Smythe book. Thanks again for posting that information....it really helps!
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|