I'm looking for any information or leads concerning my Donahue/Donohoe/Dunnahaw (and various other spellings) family lines in Westmoreland County, Virginia.
Here's what I have so far. My information is based on birth, marriage, and death records from the court house, census records for the county, and records from the local Methodist churches:
James Donehaw married Elender Fones on 4 April 1805 in Westmoreland County, Virginia according to county marriage records. They had the following children:
(1) John Donahue/Dunahow, b. about 1808, d. 7 Dec 1876 in Westmoreland Co. He married (1st) Jemima McKenney on Nov. 18, 1829 in West. Co. and (2) Charlotte E. Barber on 25 Sep 1845 in West. Co. He is listed in the census records as a farmer. Age 42 in 1850 census records (last name spelled "Dunnahaus"). Age 52 in 1860 census records (last name spelled "Dunahow". Death records state that he died at age 67 of rheumatism, parents unknown, wife Charlotte Donahue. He had one daughter by his first marriage, Ellen Virginia Donahue, b. about 1836 as she age 14 in 1850 census.
(2) Martha T. Donnahaue, m. to John Westley Howson on 12 Dec 1826 in Westmoreland Co.
(3) Richard H. Dunnahaw married (1st) Sarah A. Thrift on 8 Nov 1843 in Westmoreland Co. They had one daughter, Sallie Elizabeth, b. Jul 1844, who married (1st) James Braxton Gawen on 15 Dec 1866 and then married (2nd) his brother, Robert Hall Gawen on 21 Nov 1872.
Richard Dunnahaw married (2nd) Anna ? and had the following children: Anna, b. about 1850, married to Robert Hall Gawen (his first marriage) on May 5, 1870 (age 19, married, in 1870 census); Ella, b. about 1853 (age 17 in 1870 census); Julia, b. about 1856 (age 14 in 1870 census); Richard, b. about 1861 (age 9 in 1870 census).
I am assuming that Richard died before 1870 as he was not listed in the 1870 census and Anna (his wife) was listed as head of household, but maybe he just flew the coop????
(4) William H. Donahue/Dunnahaw, b. about 1820, d. 1 Jun 1883 in Westmoreland Co. He married Margaret A. Smith, b. 8 Feb 1820, d. bef. 1883, d/o William Smith and Peggy A. Weathers, on 20 Dec 1842 in Westmoreland Co. He was age 42 in the 1860 census; she was 41. They were both age 60 in the 1880 census, living in household of son, Richard. According to death records, he died at age 65 of paralysis of the brain, unknown parents, widower, death reported by son, Richard S. Donahue.
William and Margaret had the following children:
(1) William H. Jr., married Eliza ? before 1858; one son, Austin, b. 16 Sep 1858.
(2) George Norsham, b. about 1850 (age 9 in 1860 census, 29 in 1880 census), married Bettie Hopkins Thrift, d/o of Joseph Bridgman Thrift and Mary Ann Branson, on 1 April 1875. They had one daughter, Algie C. Donahue, b. Apr 1876, d. 1 Jul 1876; died at age 3 months from cholera.
(3) Margaret Ellen "Maggie", b. 2 Mar 1860, baptized in 1885 at Carmel Methodist Church, d. 23 Nov 1940, buried in Carmel Cemetary; married to John William "Jus" Cole (1860-1939), s/o John L. Cole and Alice "Alcey" ? on 10 Jan 1886 at Carmel Meth. Church. I have no children listed for them.
(4) Kate, b. 1863, d. 15 May 1872. Listed in death records as age 9, died of lung disease. Birthplace is listed as Alabama (maybe they were traveling???), death reported by brother, Richard Donahue.
(5) E. (daughter), listed as age 6 in 1860 census.
(6) R. (son), listed as age 3 in 1860 census.
(7) Richard Sedwick, b. Dec 1848, baptized Oct 1890 at Carmel Methodist Church, d. bef. 1904. He was married (1st) Ella Virginia Rowe, d/o W. H. Rowe and Martha "Dorothy" ?, on 14 Nov 1875 in Westmoreland Co. They had the following children:
(1) William "Arthur" Donahue, b, Aug 1876, d. 8 Feb 1940, married to Julia "Elizabeth" Delano, d/o Augustus Rice "Gus" Delano and Sarah Rebecca English on 26 Dec 1903 at Ebenezer Methodist Church.
(2) Richard O. "Dick" Donahue, b. 23 May 1878. Never married.
(3) Margaret "Maggie" Donahue, b. Mar 1880.
(4) Charles "Ross" Donahue, b. 4 Sep 1881.
(5) Edith Virginia Donahue, b. Mar 1885, married to George Washington Brann on 22 Jul 1903 in West. Co.
(6) Minnie B. Donahue, b. 10 Sep 1886 (twin), d. bef. 1900.
(7) Nettie Lillian Donahue, b. 10 Sep 1886 (twin), d. 1955, married to Calvin Maxwell Balderson on 6 Dec 1916 at Carmel Meth. Church.
(8) (Daughter), b. Jul 1888, d. 1 Sep 1888; died at age 1 month of spinal meningitis.
Richard Sedwick married (2nd) Alice Paducah English, d/o Samuel Walter English and Sarah Anne Delano, on 1 Nov 1891 at the Methodist Parsonage. He was listed as age 42, widowed, at time of marriage. She was age 24. They had the following children:
(1) Warren Cleveland Donahue, b. 8 Oct 1892; had Polio; moved to Chester, PA.
(2) Maggie Donahue, b. 12 Aug 1896, d. 30 Aug 1896; died age 18 days old, unknown causes
(3) Emma Pauline, b. 18 Oct 1897, d. 23 Nov 1990. She married (1st) Noah A. W. Tyler and (2nd) James William McKenney. This was my grandmother. She had 18 children, so I'm not going to even go there.
I'm of course looking for more information to get past my brick wall, but I'm also looking to find out more information about my grandmother's half brothers. She stayed close with her half sisters, so I know most of the information for those lines, but I really have very little information about her half-brothers' families. I'm also interested to know if anyone knows what happened to Warren Cleveland Donahue after he went to Chester. My father was named after him and I have some pictures, but I have no idea if he ever married or had children.
Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|