Dray Family Genealogy Forum
As far as I know, there are at least many different versions on how Dray became, well, Dray.
1) It is a corruption of Drew (from the ancient Irish "droig" or Druid).
2) It is Germanic in origin. I think the root would be "traegan" or "to drag". The word "dray" describes a type of wagon used to carry ales.
3) It is French/Burgundian in origin. From the old French "du Rey" or "from the king".
4) Spanish? "del Rey"?
5) I was told by my father that it may be Arabic in origin, derived from "dra'i", meaning "arm".
6) A derivative from "Andre".
That's what I've got, so far. Cheers, eh?