Starting Sept. 30, 2014, will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Surnames: Dunkelberger Family Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Dunckelnberg Arrival 1728
Posted by: William Robert Dunkelberger Date: January 08, 1999 at 11:48:05
  of 255

" The Dunkelberger's to America"

The Dunckelnberg's arrived in Philadelpha,Pa. on August 28,1728 on the Ship Mortonhouse,John Coultas ,Master .The Ship first sailed from Rotterdam Holland to Deal,Sussex England ,and left Deal on June 15,1728. When it arrived in Philadelpha it had 205 passingers among them the Dunckelnberg family.The roster listed the names of four Dunkelberger men over 18 years. Females and children were not listed.The father, Clement (47 years) signed his own name while Sons Clemens,Peiter and Frederick (Tonkleberg) signed by an X. The English Customs officers spelled the name incorrectly as shown in the arrival records.. About 80 Palatines ,out of about 205,were called in to declare their intentions to settle and live peaceably in the Province. These declarations were entered into the minutes of the Provincial Council on Sept.21,1728. After the Dunkelberger's landed they proceded to the "Hinterland" to what is now known as Berks County,locating between present day Hamburg and Virginville,Penna.

(Tulpehocken - land of the turtles)
By Glenn P. Schwaln, [1-332-121-1]

The land north of the Mahanoy mountain was opened for setilement following the Proprietories Treaty of 1769 with the Six Nation Indians. Fort Augusta at Shamokin, now Sunbury, had been a military and trading post during the French and Indian War. The Tulpehocken path, surveyed in 1769, extending from Philadelphia to Womelsdorf and Rehrsburg to Shamokin was used as a road about 1785. This would have been the most convenient course of travel to get to the "Mahanoy"(as the early settlers called the valley aIong the Mahanoy creek. The brothers John,Frederick, Philip and Christopher, probably visited the area before filing their applications.They were familar with the course of the Tulpehocken path as it passed through Rehrsburg,Bethel,Pine Grove,Ravine, over the Broad Mountain into Hegins,Sacramento , crossing two fords on the Pine Creek to Spread Eagle (Klingerstown), across Mahantonga Creek to "Jacob's Well, located on the west branch of Snow Creek in Hoofland Gap. Here the trail divided, the surveyed road continued to Urban, through the Urban Gap in the Hoofland Mountain via Herndon, to the north of the Mahanoy Creek at the Susquehanna River where it terminated. Later a road was laid out from Sunbury to this terminus on the Mahanoy Creek. The Moravians, Indians and others, used the alternate path beginning at "Jacob's Well" in winter, which course was due north, over the Mahanoy', Trevorton and Little mountains to Augustaville and then Shamokin (Sunbury).
The fact is that John Dunkelberger's [1-3] patented "Mt Hope" tract was located where a natural ford crossed the Mahanoy Creek. In 1803, he erected a stone grist mill on the north bank of the Mahanoy Creek and constructed a switch-back road ascending the steep north sloop of the Mahanoy mountain to the top, where it followed a straight southeast course to the base of the south side. Then due south to Greenbriar Run which course it followed south to the Hoofland Mountain. Then descended to the West branch of Snow Creek at the Hoofland Gap. Its course was the same as that of the alternate path of the Tulpehocken. Hunters, four-wheelers, trail bikers regularly use and still call this The Mill Road",although almost none know its historical origin.
John Dunkelberger, in particular, would have seen its advantages, as all he had to do was travel due west from Windsor Twp. to Bern Twp. where he could visit his in-laws, and in company with John Rentschlcr and Jacob Wagner,
his brother-in-laws , could continue as a party, west to Rehresburg where they struck the Tulpehocken Road and followed its course as described previously.

In 1782, it is interesting to note, that a road was laid out, from Sunbury over the Little mountain to the Mahanoy Creek at the Mahanoy Narrows (Dornsife) to the Tulpehocken path (north of Mandata, from thence to the Mahantonga
Creek (at Pillow). This road was finished in 1812 and the bridge across the Mahanoy Creek from Daniel Herb's (Dornsife) to Little Mahanoy Twp. was authorized in ApriL 1824. [Probate Records p.219 and 225, Sunbury Court House

No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Agreement of Use
Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network