DUNNIGAN, CA. (ANTELOPE)
As Compiled by Nancy Hatcher McCullough
The first settlers in the Antelope (Dunnigan) area were John Wilson and J. S. Copp who moved here when flood waters from the Sacramento River to the east forced them to leave in 1852. In October of 1853, Anthony Wayne Dunnigan came to the area and settled on 700 acres he named the Dunnigan Ranch, known today as the Decker/Allen place. In the same time period many other early settlers began to arrive in the small settlement. In 1855 Mr. Dunnigan built a hotel known as the Dunnigan House on what would later be Main and Railroad Streets. At the same time Mr. Dunnigan build
an large barn that became the Antelope Stage Depot (1855); the stage made daily runs between Knights Landing and Colusa on what was known as "Tule Road", carrying passengers, cargo and the mail. The Dunnigan House (hotel) would accommodate the food and rest need of the passengers. The stage depot/barn was torn down about 1945 to make way for "modern day farming" and the hotel was occupied until it was destroyed by fire in the mid-1950's.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|