Starting Sept. 30, 2014, Genealogy.com will be making a big change. GenForum
message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles
will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will
no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
The community of "Tank" and "Edney Meeting House" were associated with the Nashville, TN, area. The following information is taken from a history of Belleview Methodist Church, Belleview, TN, written by Sadie L. Herrin for the 162nd anniversary of the church's founding. Since a number of early settlers went from the northeast NC area (including a number of our Edney cousins), they used names that they associated with home. One area in particular, now in suburban Nashville, was known as "Pasquotank," then "Tank," and now "Pasquo." In this area settled Newton Edney and Levin Edney. "...Levin Edney was preaching and performing wedding ceremonies as early as 1795. But, the first record we can find of a congregation is 1802."
"Services were held in homes and schoolhouses until 1809. The records show that on September 5, 1809, Newton Edney deeded a plot of ground to Levin Edney, Aquilla Sugg, and William Roach to build a meeting house. So, in 1809, a log meeting house was erected on this plot of ground and was called 'Edney's Meeting house.'...(The Pasquo Church of Christ now stands on this plot of ground.)
In 1813, the building burned and "...a more elegant structure was erected about a mile west of Edney's farm and was known as 'Edney's Chapel.'"
The building was used until 1910, when a new building was built in a different location, to which the church moved and took the name "Belleview Methodist Church."