Mr. Enoch Emanuel, Sr. lists the parentage of numerous illegitimate births in his booklet; in most cases, so tactfully, that you have to read his wording very, very carefully. (He usually lists just the mother, but in some cases, the grandfather and/or grandmother.) Now, since he lists Docia Bedsole as the wife of Enoch Emanuel, Jr., and since you say that Docia (Bedsole) Emanuel had a son named Benjamin Bedsole (and NOT named Benjamin Emanuel), I take it that Benjamin was born outside the marriage. Now, Enoch Emanuel, Sr. would almost certainly have known quite a bit about his daughter-in-law and his daughter-in-law's child, Benjamin, however, I cannot find any mention of Benjamin in Enoch Emanuel, Sr.'s book. (Then again, his booklets are densely packed lineages and it's quite easy to miss a name here or there.)
In another post, I mentioned that Docia's parents were William James Bedsole and Nancy Ann Emanuel. In addition to Docia, William and Nancy also had the following children:
(1) Rutha (the wife of Ollin Brewington).
(2) Molsey (the wife of Matthew Burnette, Jr.).
(3) Isabella (the wife of Erias Brewington).
(4) Lou Berta (the wife of Jonah Emanuel).
(5) W. L. [ Luther ] (the husband of Amandy Warrick).
(6) James Henry (the husband of Hanna Warrick).
Enoch Emanuel, Sr., in last paragraph of his booklet, makes mention of one B. J. Bedsole who married Iola Brewington. Could the "B." stand for Benjamin?
Lastly, and to clarify an earlier post, the 1860 Census for Sampson County lists the following household in the Newton Grove district:
Robin Bedsole, 80 years old, male, white.
Polly Bedsole, 35 years old, female, white.
William Bedsole, 12 years old, male, mulatto.*
* = The United States census did not recognize Indian as a racial category until the 1910 census. They only recognized white, black, and mulatto. Thus, mulatto encompasses not only American Indian, but any conceivable mixture of the three races, as well as Asian, East Indian, Middle Eastern, and Portugese. The designation, "Mulatto" should NOT be automatically assumed to be simply a racial mixture of solely black and white.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|