Jacob Files Family History
By: Wilmer L. Kerns
4715 North 38th Place
Arlington, VA 22207-2914
Jacob Files, son of Joseph and Sarah (Hensel) Files, was born in Berkeley County, Va. on April 8, 1832, and died Sept. 22, 1911 at Cherry Run, Morgan County, W.Va. Burial was at Snyder’s Church in Morgan County. Jacob was an influential citizen in every community where he lived. At Shockeysville, Frederick County, he built a church that was dedicated as Files Chapel in 1880. The congregation was affiliated with the United Brethren in Christ denomination. The church is inactive at this time, but it hosts an annual homecoming in August. At Cherry Run, Jacob was the first to bring a locomotive thrashing machine into the county. Jacob was thrice-married and the father of at least 16 children. He first married Mary Catherine Slonaker, daughter of Michael and Ellen (Barrett) Slonaker, Feb. 7, 1854, in Berkeley County. She was born on April 8, 1832 in Hampshire County, and died Jan. 28, 1864. Burial was in the Ganotown Cemetery in Berkeley County. Jacob married second to Mary Ellen Parkinson of Berkeley County. She was born Dec. 18, 1839 and died Nov. 25, 1875. Burial was at Files Chapel in Frederick County. Jacob’s third marriage was to Sarah Cordelia Dailey, daughter of James and Margaret (Everett) Dailey, on June 1, 1879 in Winchester. Sarah was born Feb. 15, 1861 and died Dec. 2, 1908 at Cherry Run. Burial was in the Snyder’s Church Cemetery in Morgan County.
Children of Jacob and Mary C. (Slonaker) Files were:
1. Robert Tilberry Files was born in 1855 and died in 1946. Burial was in Central Chapel Cemetery in Berkeley County. He married Mary C. Manor, daughter of James W. and Margaret Jane (Hutzler) Manor. They had at least 11 children as follows:
a. Jacob Lemuel Files was born in 1876 and died July 7, 1938. Burial was at Rosedale Cemetery. He married Kizzie Helsley on April 13, 1898 in Frederick County.
b. Frances “Fannie” Elizabeth Files was born Oct. 6, 1878 and died June 18, 1962. She married Jugurtha L. Shanholtz, son of Robert and Elizabeth P. (Lawyer) Shanholtz, June 15, 1898 in Frederick County. They lived near Cross Junction, and were buried at Wesley Chapel near US Route 522.
c. Betsy Virginia Files was born Nov. 7, 1879 at Pine Flat, Frederick County. She married Frank Kitchen.
d. Robert H. Files was born April 11, 1881 and died Dec. 24, 1894, from an accident.
e. Joseph Files, born Nov. 22, 1883, married Lillian Clary. Lillian was born Nov. 8, 1894 and died Dec. 29, 1950.
f. Mary May Files was born in 1887 and died in 1960. She married Oscar Dick (1888-1970).
g. B. Franklin Files was born in 1889 and died in 1967. He married Ella Stuckey.
g. Frederick Files was born Sept. 9, 1891 and died in December 1985, at age 94. He married Teresa Burkhardt. They lived at Jones Spring, Berkeley County
h. Harry Files married Bruice Dunham.
i. Marvin Files married Stella Delansy.
j. Paul Files married Blanche Gaines. (She lived on Kentucky Ave. in Martinsburg, in 1976 when I wrote this)
2. Ellie Files married a Mr. Bailey and lived at Inwood, W.Va.
3. Jonas Files was born in 1861. He married Mattie Bealer in Page County, Va.
4. Martha Jane Files was born April 15, 1861 and died July 15, 1861. She was buried at Ganotown Cemetery.
5. Joseph E.Tilberry Files was born on Sept. 1, 1859, and died April 15, 1862. Also buried at Ganotown.
Children of Jacob and Mary E. (Parkinson) Files were:
6. Minnie M. Files was born Sept. 3, 1865 and died April 3, 1910. She married Cressie “Preston” Eugene Poole, who was born June 3, 1868 and died May 3, 1934. They had two sons--Raymond Russell Poole (1901-1972) and Floyd Leo Poole, born May 10, 1904, who was living at Cherry Run in 1976 when I visited him.
7. John William “Will” Files married first a Miss Skelton and the name of his second spouse is not known at this time. This family lived in Luray, Page County, Va. We have photographs.
8. Jacob Statton Files was born in 1870 and died in 1951. He first married Effie Poole, and had a son named Clyde Files. Statton married second to Amanda L. Crane (1876-1932). They lived in Morgan County, W.Va.
9. Elizabeth Annie G. Files was born Aug. 11, 1874 on Third Hill Mountain, and died Dec. 14, 1900, of TB. She married Robert R. Kerns, son of Aaron and Tamson (Shanholtz) Kerns, in October 1898 at Files Chapel, Shockeysville. They had no children.
10. Charles E. Files was born in 1875. he married Etta DeHaven, daughter of Charles W. and Thurza DeHaven, Dec. 29, 1896.
11. David Hunter “Hunt” Files was born April 18, 1872 and died July 18, 1902. He married Jennie Moore (another source says Jennie Zeilor). They lived in Morgan County.
Children of Jacob and Sarah C. (Dailey) Files were:
12. Isaac Jannie Files was born on July 2, 1879, and died in 1939. He married Lottie Bell Barnes (1873-1952). They had 5-6 children.
13. Nathan Creighton Files was born June 12, 1883 and died May 3, 1940. He did not marry.
14. Lafayette “Lafe” Files was born April 11, 1887, and died Aug. 25, 1966. He first married Capitoli Butts, and had a daughter named Nellie Files. Lafe married second to a woman named Bonnie E., who was born on Dec. 13, 1897. He was a veteran of World War I.
15. Thomas J. Roy Files was born on Nov. 27, 1893 and died Feb. 19, 1956. He married Opal Risinger. They had five daughters. Roy was killed in a construction accident in Morgan County, while working on a church parsonage. He was a World War I veteran.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|