some immigrated to Pennsylvania, USA,
and one immigrated to Canada
Matthew FOGARTY b. Bet 1827-1828 on a farm outside of Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland. Brothers include Edward, John, Michael, and Jeremiah. Sisters were Ellen, and unknown #1 and unknown# 2. Possibility of more sisters who remained in Ireland.
1. Jeremiah remained on the Fogarty Farm outside of Thurles (actual location unknown).
2. Michael FOGARTY, an Augustinian Priest, came to the southeastern Pennsylvania area (family verbal history says it was Villanova, but it may have been St. Augustine, in Philadelphia) but returned to Ireland, displeased with how things were run.
3. Edward FOGARTY settled in Canada (no further info).
4. Matthew FOGARTY immigrated before 1850 and had a cattle (or dairy) business next to the Villanova University Campus in Lower Merion township. He married Katherine QUINN (b abt 1831-2, Carrick-on-Suir, Tipperary) abt 1856. She also immigrated in 1856. Matthew and his wife lived for a time in Radnor, Delaware County, Pennsylvania based on 1860 Census. Villanova is just on the border of two counties. Their 5 children included Thomas, Richard, Mary, Catherine, and Matthew. They eventually moved nearby to Conshohocken, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. He died Feb 18, 1866 of pneumonia and is buried at St. Matthews cemetery in Conshohocken. The head of Villanova was the executor of his will. Richard, his son, was the first married couple at the chapel at Villanova.
5. John FOGARTY immigrated and settled in the same general area as his brother Matthew. He married and had two kids John and Mary. The kids never married. All were involved in running a Grocery store which continued until the 1940's in Conshohocken, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
6. Ellen FOGARTY, who immigrated at age 16, became a nun -:"SISTER MARY AUGUSTINE, St Josephs order" and was stationed at an orphanage in Troy, New York.
Unknown#1 FOGARTY a sister also became a nun in the USA.
Unknown#2 FOGARTY a sister married someone by the name of COFFEE in the USA.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|