Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Surnames: Fryer Family Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Fryer Family Cemetery Inscriptions in Jefferson County, Iowa and more
Posted by: Deborah Brownfield - Stanley (ID *****1616) Date: May 23, 2004 at 19:56:58
  of 949


I have kept all of these pieces together for the simple reason I have no idea who may be related to another surname, so would not want to break them up.

Inscriptions in Moorman Cemetery

Gow: James, died April 13, 1877, aged 77 years

Gow: Jannet, wife of James Gow, died February 25, 1865 (stone broken and embedded in cement) “A native of Scotland.”

Garber: (?) Daniel (stone broken and embedded in cement, which conceals lettering)

Garber: (?) Malinda, wife of Danl. Garber (?) (stone broken and embedded in cement)

Sinclair: Mary Margaret, daughter of W. G. and Anna Sinclair, December 23, 1845 – September 23, 1911 “He took thee from a world of care, An everlasting bliss to share.”

Sinclair: Elvia A., daughter of W. G. and A. Sinclair, died October 25, 1852 AE 10 months and 18 days

Sinclair: Infant daughter of W. G. and A. Sinclair, born January 21, 1855

Sinclair: (W. Face) Anna Canaday, wife of W. G. Sinclair, born September 22, 1816, died January 13, 1902
Sinclair: (S. Face) W. G. Sinclair, born August 8, 1813 died February 5, 1894
“Remember all, as you pass by,
As you are now, so once was I,
As I am now, so you must be,
Prepare for death and follow me.”

Moorman: Albert, son of T. and M. Moorman died October 31, 1847 aged 6 years, 9 months and 25 days

Moorman: Louie Pearl, daughter of C. W. and E. A. Moorman died August 21, 1875 Aged__yrs 9 months 19 days

Moorman: Lewis C., son of T. and M. Moorman died February 6, 1850 aged 11 months and 4 days

Carpenter: (W. Face) Ruth, born April 10, 1887 died April 25, 1890 aged 3 years 15 days
Carpenter: (E. Face) Frank J., born ___ 1889, died September 13, 1889 aged 1 month
Carpenter: (N. Face) Children of M. C. and Maggie J. Carpenter

Ganier: (W. Face) Eva C., daughter of Thos. And L. B. Moorman, wife of J. L. Ganier, died March 22, 1885 aged 22 years
Ganier: (N. Face) Little Bessie, and infant daughter of J. L. and E. C. Ganier (no dates)

Junkin: Mathew J., born May 16, 1829, died May 21, 1887

Junkin: Eliza, wife of M. J. Junkin, died September 27, 1870 aged (broken stone__18 days

Junkin: Maranda E., wife of M. J. Junkin, died November 26, 1871 aged 28 years 5 months and 26 days

Moorman: (S. Face) Thomas, died March 26, 1889 aged 79 years 6 months 19 days
Moorman: (N. Face) Margarett Moorman, February 14, 1814 – January 22, 1854

Warwick: Ida May, daughter of W. and A. J. Warwick, died April 19, 1861 aged 2 years 5 months and 5 days

Canaday: (broken stone) died April 25, 1851 AE 3 years 2 months and 2 days

Canaday: Walter, died March 19, 1846, 74 years and 5 months

Canaday: Anna, died July 5, 1855, 74 years 4 months and 18 days

Canaday: Christopher, died August 22, 1874, 65 years

Canaday: Elizabeth, wife of C. Canaday, December 6, 1807 – February 26, 1901, 93 years 2 months and 20 days

Canaday: Georgie W., son of J. L. and A. M. Canaday, died August 30, 1884, 1 year 5 months

Smith: (E. Face) In memory of our parents
Smith: (S. Face) John, born August 18, 1805, died August 11, 1892
Smith: (N. Face) Angeline L., wife of John Smith, born August 17, 1825, died August 17, 1901

Smith: Laura, daughter of J. and L. Smith, died June 23, 1873 age 35 years 6 months 26 days

Smith: (?) Amanda, daughter of J. and M. S_____ (broken stone) died January ?1, 1855 aged 1 year 3 days

Ashmead: (S. Face) Florence B. Gantz, wife of B. C. Ashmead, died June 25, 1890 aged 31 years 1 month 14 days
Ashmead: (W. Face) Florence B., daughter of B. C. and F. B. Ashmead, died August 5, 1890 aged 1 month 22 days

Gantz: Cora May, daughter of A. and M. E. Gantz, died September 16, 1868 age 10 months 9 days

Gantz: Lola M., daughter of A. and M. E. Gantz, born December 7, 1871 died July 6, 1894

Canaday: Podie, November 3, 1868 – March 17, 1873
Canaday: Charlie, March 12, 1870 – March 13, 1873
Canaday: Children of W. H. and Annie Canaday

Boyd: Frank, 1819-1853

Sargent: Rachel P., wife of I. L. Sargent, died January 16, 1875 age 56 years 5 months 13 days

Clark: (W. Face) Children of W. A. and E. J. Clark
Clark: (N. Face) Ardin E., died July 6, 1883 age 9 years 7 months 7 days
Clark: (S. Face) Elmer S., died April 5, 1870 age 10 months 21 days

Dill: Frank, born March 27, 1862, died September 14, 1884

Dill: Frances E., wife of E. Dill, died April 24, 1881 (stone broken) Aged__years 2 months 2 days (cemented over age)

Meek: Perry, 1837-1900
Meek: Hester, his wife 1858 – 1886 (Wilson may be her maiden name)
Meek: Frank Leslie, their son 1877 – 1908
Meek: Andrew Wilson, 1832 – 1894
Meek: Lana A., his wife 1838 - 1933

Frescoln: Rev. L., died October 1, 1876, 65 years
Frecoln: David J., son of Rev. L. and J. C. Frescoln, died March 10, 1865; 9 months 10 days

Johnson: (S. Face) Alfred, born May 10, 1836-died November 7, 1901
Our father has gone to a mansion of rest,
To the glorious land by the diety blest
Johnson: (N. Face) Ducena, born March 31, 1831-died December 28, 1897
“Let not your heart be troubled.”

Johnson: Charles J., died September 16, 1860-age 40 years 8 months 13 days

Johnson: Lesley J., son of C. W. and M. Johnson-born____, died____ (no dates)

Bradfield: Charles E., son of (broken stone, patched with cement, might be son of C. or G. and C. C.) died January 30, 1876- 4 years 5 months 5 days

Bradfield: (broken stone, top part missing) died August 18, 1870-aged 11 months 25 days

Richardson: Mary, wife of James Richardson, died February 16, 1848-48 years 6 months 6 days

Ploughe: Cintha J., daughter of R. G. and R. Ploughe, died January 17, 1852-1 year 11 months 13 days (broken stone)

______: (broken stone, could be a Young) born April 1, 1864, died March 1, 1879

Young: Eliza A., daughter of J. and A. Young-died March 23, 1874 age 19 years 5 months 3 days

Young: Lovisa E., daughter of J. and A. Young-died November 11, 1847 age 1 year 2 months 6 days

Young: (W. Face) In Memory of our Father and Mother
Young: (S. Face) John Young born March 31, 1819-died March 22, 1888
Young: (N. Face) Anna, wife of John Young born July 27, 1822-died November 10, 1879 (maiden name may be Richardson?)

Young: Mary E., daughter of J. and A. Young-died March 26, 1854 age 9 years 7 months 15 days

Tuller: Ruthie Fay, daughter of W. H. and N. M. Tuller-born and died October 5, 1899

Gow: Mary E., wife of John G. Gow-died March 7, 1885 aged 33 years 6 months 11 days

Ploughe: Rebecca, daughter of J. and J. Ploughe-died December 22, 1847 AE 14 years 10 months (buried in cement)

Ploughe: Margaret, daughter of J. and J. Ploughe-died August 13, 1843 AE 15 years 4 months 16 days

Webb: Nancy, wife of C. B. Webb-died September 14, 1846 AE 24 years 2 months 8 days

Tracy: Nettie, daughter of Marion and Alice Tracy-died March 3, 1875 age 1 year 9 months 3 days

Eller: David, died March 18, 1870 age 73 years 11 months 7 days

Eller: Mary A., died March 23, 1895 age 72 years 3 months 4 days

Eller: Tabitha, wife of David Eller-died March 27, 1847 age 44 years 2 months (maiden name may be Judd?)

Eller: Mary T., daughter of J. C. and Jane Eller-died August 29, 1863 AE 2 years 3 months 11 days

Marion: Clarissa, wife of William Marion-died November 8, 1889 age 60 years 5 months 20 days

Marion: Fransis, son of William and Clarissa Marion-died March 5, 1862 (no age shown)

Marion: Mary, daughter of William and Clarissa Marion-died June 19, 1852

Marion: Veloy, daughter of William and Clarissa Marion-died October 3, 1864

Marion: Arvilla, daughter of William and Clarissa Marion-died September 12, 1864

Tinsley: (N. Face) In Memory of our Parents
Tinsley: (E. Face) C. C. Tinsley, born December 27, 1807-died May 25, 1886
Tinsley: (W. Face) Mary, born September 22, 1820-died February 7, 1897

Tinsley: Alice, daughter of M. T. and C. Tinsley-born and died January 30, 1855

Simmons: Samuel A., son of W. L. S. and S. Simmons-born October 6, 1853-died May 28, 1854

Ross: John, son of J. W. and G. Ross-died March 1, 1868 age 9 years 5 months 19 days

Rhamy: W. H. H., died November 10, 1897 age 79 years 4 months 17 days

Rhamy: Elizabeth B. wife of W. H. H. Rhamy-died February 10, 1892 age 71 years 5 months 3 days

Robb: Cora I., daughter of S. H. and M. C. Robb-died January 17, 1876 age 1 year 7 months 13 days

Robb: Edmund N., son of T. A. and M. E. Robb-died March 15, 1863 age 2 years 7 months 14 days

Robb: Cornelia B., daughter of T. A. and M. E. Robb-died October 3, 1858 AE 9 months 13 days

Wisecarver: Mertie, daughter of J. E. and M. E. Wisecarver-died August 4, 1881 AE 11 months 7 days

Gregg: Harriet J., died January 31, 1878 age 49 years

Robb: Samuel, died August 11, 1879 aged___(broken stone)

Robb: G. A., died November 6, 1860 aged 17 years 11 months 11 days

Robb: Mary, wife of S. Robb (sunk in cement) (died 1867, from husband’s obituary)

Williams: Isaac N., ______ October 22, 1865. In the 41st year of his age (stone broken in several pieces)

Crews: Frankey, died February 13, 1872 age 2 years 6 months

Fryer: Mary J., daughter of E. and S. J. Fryer-died February 19, 1864 age 16 years 11 months 16 days

Fryer: Anna B., daughter of A. E. Fryer-died April 2, 1871 age 1 year 4 months 10 days

Fryer: (S. Face) Elias, died March 28, 1874 aged 54 years 3 months 3 days
Fryer: (N. Face) Sarah J., wife of E. Fryer-died March 19, 1892 age 62 years 4 days

Fryer: Mattie F., daughter of E. and S. J. Fryer-died January 29, 1878 age 15 years 14 days

Abraham: Maria, wife of G. Abraham-died March 16, 1868 age 20 years 9 months (maiden name may have been Nilson?)

The Fairfield Ledger
October 26, 1865
Page 3 column 1

DEATH OF I. N. WILLIAMS. MR. WILLIAMS met a violent death in the following manner: He was a tanner by trade, and while in the army a man…lately from Missouri, bought the hides or leather from WILLIAMS’S wife, and it is alleged cheated her. On WILLIAMS return home he forbid…from coming in his yard. On the morning of the 13th inst. he found…. In his yard, and attempted to drive him out, when…drew a large knife and cut him frightfully in the abdomen…MR. WILLIAMS lived until Saturday….His remains were followed to the grave by the Odd Fellows and a large number of the citizens of Brookville and vicinity. He leaves a wife and five or six children.

The Fairfield Ledger
September 26, 1867
Page 3 column 2

SUICIDE—On Thursday morning last, MR. DANIEL GARBER, living 5 ½ miles northwest of town, committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with a pistol. A few days before the terrible deed he had sold his farm for $2000. He had been acting somewhat strangely for some time, and his children, four in number, two boys and two girls, the youngest being 12 years old, had been watching him. On the morning in question he took a revolver and went to the brush, removed the old caps from the revolver, and placed three news ones on. It is supposed that he knelt down, placed the pistol to his forehead and pulled the trigger. His son, THOMAS ran to where he heard the report of the pistol, and found his father lying on his face. Life had fled. He aroused the neighbors and an inquest was held on the body by Squire MOORMAN. His remains were buried the following day.

The Fairfield Ledger
November 30, 1871
Page 3 column 5

DIED. JUNKIN—In Fairfield Township, on Sunday morning, November 26, of asthma, MRS. J. E. JUNKIN, wife of MR. M. J. JUNKIN, in the 29th year of her age.
“Weep not for her who dieth,
For she sleeps and is at rest;
And the couch whereon she lieth,
Is the good earth’s quiet breast.”

The Fairfield Ledger
February 13, 1878
Page 3 column 7

OBITUARY. Departed this life at her residence near Brookville, in this county, after a severe and protracted illness, MRS. HARRIET J. GREGG, in the 49th year of her age. She was born in Clermont County, Ohio, June 26th, 1829, and moved to Iowa with her parents (MR. SAMUEL ROBB and wife) in 1841. Was married to HENRY GREGG in 1851, who joined the Union army and died at Vicksburg in 1863….M. E. Church…called from the church militant to the church triumphant…She leaves four children…

The Fairfield Ledger
August 27, 1879
Page 2 column 6

OBITUARY. SAMUEL ROBB was born in Pennsylvania, December 4, 1801, removed to Clermont County, Ohio, with his parents in early childhood, where he remained until he removed to Jefferson County, Iowa, in 1841, where he resided until the time of his death. He was married to MARY L. HITCH in the year 1826, whose death occurred twelve years prior to his.

He was a correspondent of several newspapers….was an advocate of temperance all his life…The houses were, in 1841, in Jefferson County, built of logs. When ready for his house-raising, as was the custom, the usual dram of whiskey was called for, then he informed them he did not use it himself nor would he give it to his neighbors to drink. The consequence was there was not enough help left to raise a log. He then went again inviting his neighbors, telling them there would be no whiskey at the raising, and finally, though with much difficulty, there was enough help procured to raise the house. This was the first instance of a house raising without whiskey in Jefferson County.

The Fairfield Ledger
May 25, 1887
Page 3 column 6

SUDDENLY SUMMONED…..MATTHEW JOHNSTON JUNKIN was a son of JOSEPH and SARAH JUNKIN, pioneer settlers of this county, both dying here, and was born at Wheeling, West Virginia, May 16th, 1829, celebrating his 58th birthday the Monday preceding his death. He was the 10th child of a family of 11 children, three sisters and two brothers surviving him. With his father’s family he came to Iowa in 1843, when a lad of 15, living a year in Lee and Louisa counties. In 1844 the father entered what is now known as the WELLS farm south of this city, where the family made their home for several years. Like many another young man MR. JUNKIN was afflicted with the gold fever of 1849-50 and in the latter year made the trip to California overland, enduring all the hardships of that toilsome journey. He remained in that state five years, and upon his return was married to MISS ELLEN MOORMAN, who died in 1870. Remaining here on a farm until 1859, MR. JUNKIN again made a years’ stay in the mines of Colorado. Later he again made a trip to the Pacific coast, and was in the mines of Idaho and Washington territories for two years, making the trip home by packhorse. For several years afterwards he remained on his farm in the northwest part of this township, but in 1873, after the death of his second wife, MISS ELLEN SINCLAIR, he again returned to the mountains of Colorado, taking his family of five children with him. He lived near Colorado Springs for a time, and then removed to the new town of Rosita, where he engaged in mining and ranching. When the great silver discoveries were made at Silver Cliff, MR. JUNKIN located one of the earlier claims, which he sold for a large sum, and in 1880 returned to Iowa, locating in this city. In the spring of 1885, at Centerville, he was married to MISS MATTIE SHAFFER, who survives him.

MR. JUNKIN was the father of five by his first marriage, and one by his third, the latter an infant, all of whom survive him. FRANK W., THOMAS M., HARRY G., and ROLLA, live in this county, while the daughter, MRS. DR. CARPENTER, makes her home at Fargo Springs, Kansas….

Funeral services were held in this city Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock, at the family residence, conducted by REV. D. C. SMITH, assisted by DR. MAGILL. The remains were taken to the Moorman Cemetery, six miles northwest of this city, for interment, and there were 30 carriages in the procession which followed the body to its final resting place.

MR. JUNKIN was brother of the senior editor of this paper, and MRS. J. S. BECK of this city, MRS. SARAH M. SHEARER of Dexter, this state. JOSEPH JUNKIN of Red Oak, and MRS. NANCY G. HUNTER of Newcastle, Penn., are his surviving brothers and sisters. His death is the first one which has occurred among children or grandchildren of the family in 22 years, with one exception, and the first among brothers and sisters for 42 years.

The Fairfield Ledger
March 28, 1888
Page 3 column 4

DEATH OF JOHN YOUNG. JOHN YOUNG, a well known and highly respected farmer of this county, died at his home three miles northwest of this city Thursday morning last…from Bright’s disease….MR. YOUNG was a native of Mercer Co., Kentucky, and came to this county in 1837. Two years later he located on the farm on which he died, and which he had made his home almost continuously since that time. In Illinois, in 1840, he was married to ANNIE RICHARDSON, who died in 1879, and again to MRS. ELIZABETH MEEK, a close neighbor through much of his life in Iowa, who survives him. By his first marriage MR. YOUNG was the father of 11 children, six of whom are now living. Three sons, J. F., J. W., and LARK, reside at Gunnison City, Col., CHARLES on the home farm, two daughters, MRS. ADA CROSSFIELD and MRS. MARTHA A. MYERS, at Scott City and Grigsley, Kan…….The funeral occurred Friday, REV. H. M. JONES conducting the services, and the remains interred in the Moorman cemetery.

The Fairfield Ledger
March 29, 1889
Page 3 column 3

DEATH OF THOMAS MOORMAN. THOMAS MOORMAN, the well known Fairfield township farmer, died at his home six miles northwest of this city, Tuesday evening….MR. MOORMAN was born in Highland county, Ohio, September 7th, 1809. In 1833 he was married to MISS MARGARET CANADAY, and in 1844 the family removed to this county, locating in the northwest part of Fairfield township, where they have since resided. In 1859, several years after the decease of his first wife, MR. MOORMAN was married to MRS. LEAH ROBINSON, who survives him. He was the father of eight children, six of whom are now living—C. W. and W. T. MOORMAN and MRS. P. B. GRAFTON of this county, MRS. W. B. SEARLE of Ottumwa, MRS. WILKINS WARWICK of Wellington, Kansas, and MRS. W. M. CAMPBELL of Alabama…..During his long residence in this county he occupied many places in public affairs, his greatest distinction being election to the state legislature in 1857. The ceremonies attending his funeral took place yesterday afternoon, and the remains were laid away in the cemetery near his home which has long borne his name.

The Fairfield Ledger
February 24, 1892
Page 3 column 7

DEATH OF MRS. RHAMY. MRS. ELIZABETH RHAMY died at her home west of Fairfield on the 10th inst., after a weeks’ illness from pneumonia and fever. ELIZABETH WYCOFF was born in Wayne County, Ohio, September 2d, 1821. In 1836 she was married to W. H. H. RHAMY, who survives her. They moved to Indiana in 1844, to Iowa in 1846. MRS. RHAMY was the mother of thirteen children, nine of whom are yet living…..

The Fairfield Ledger
March 23, 1892
Page 3 column 7

DEATH OF MRS. FRYER. MRS. SARAH JANE FRYER died at her home in Black Hawk Township, March 19th aged sixty-two years. Deceased was a native of Tennessee, but removed to Indiana in childhood. There, March 19th, 1846, she was married to ELIAS FRYER. Six years later they came to Van Buren County, thence to this county, where the husband died March 28th, 1874. Eleven children were born to MR. and MRS. FRYER, eight of whom are now living—ELIZA DELLINGER, JOSEPH and WILLIAM in Hedrick, JOHN at Shannon City, LUCY JACQUES at Eldon, CLARA ABRAHAM in Fairfield, ISA CHANDLER and O. F. near the old home….Her remains were buried by those of her husband in the Moorman cemetery, funeral services being conducted by REV. W. S. MOORE.

The Fairfield Ledger
April 4, 1894
Page 3 column 4

DEATH OF ANDREW WILSON. ANDREW WILSON died at his home in this city Friday, after an illness of five months from cancer of the bowels. MR. WILSON was born in Greene County, Penn., and was in the fifty-second year of his age. He grew to manhood in his native state, and was married there to MISS LENA ANN LOAR, who survives him. The family removed to Jefferson County in 1865, and located on a farm in the northwestern portion of Fairfield township, which was its home until June 12th, 1893. There were six children in the family, four of whom are yet living—CULVER WILSON of Hayes Center, Nebr., MRS. MARY CHANDLER of Diagonal, Iowa; MRS. LOTTIE HUKILL of Sturgis, South Dakota; and HALLECK L. WILSON of this county….The remains were interred in the Moorman cemetery, six miles northwest of the city, Sabbath morning, REV. G. W. MAPES conducting the funeral services.

The Fairfield Ledger
March 27, 1895
Page 3 column 7

OBITUARY. MRS. MARY A. ELLER, died at her home near Brookville Saturday morning after an illness of six days from pneumonia and pleurisy. Deceased was born at Lawrenceburg, Indiana, December 19th, 1822, and came to Fairfield in 1841. She was married soon after to DAVID LYONS, who died in that place about four years later. Two children were born to them; ELVIRA J., who has gone before, and DAVID M., who now resides near Rushville, Neb. MRS. LYONS was married to DAVID ELLER in 1848 and he died in 1870. One daughter was born to them who reached maturity and survives the parents—the wife of MARION TRACY.

The Fairfield Ledger
May 2, 1900
Page 3

TOWN AND COUNTY: PERRY MEEK, who has been ill for several months, died at his home in the southeastern part of the city this morning. He was fifty-five years of age. Two children, a son and a daughter, both grown, survive him. The funeral will take place Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the Baptist church.

The Fairfield Ledger
May 9, 1900
Page 3 column 2

A telegram was received in this city Wednesday announcing the death of MRS. W. M. CAMPBELL at Florence, Ala., the previous day. MRS. CAMPBELL was the youngest child of THOMAS MOORMAN, for many years a well known resident of Fairfield township…

The Fairfield Ledger
February 27, 1901
Page 3 column 3

DEATH OF AN AGED WOMAN. ELIZABETH, wife of the late CHRISTOPHER CANADAY, died at the home of her son, JOHN W. CANADAY, six miles northwest of this city Monday. She was in the ninety-fourth year of her age, and died from ailments incidental to an advanced age. MRS. CANADAY and her husband were pioneer settlers of Jefferson County. They were very excellent people, and were held in the highest esteem in the community where they had lived so many years. They have three children residing here at this time, MRS. ANDREW GANTZ, JOHN W., and J. L. CANADAY…..

The Fairfield Ledger
March 6, 1901
Page 3 column 7

OBITUARY. MRS. ELIZABETH CANADAY, who died in the county the 26th ult., was born in Highland County, Ohio, December 6th, 1808. She came with her husband, the late CHRISTOPHER CANADAY, to Henry County, in 1842, and a year later removed to Jefferson County, where the remainder of her life was spent. She leaves five children to mourn the loss of a dear and affectionate mother---MRS. G. L. RIDER of Des Moines, HUGH H. CANADAY of Ottumwa, MRS. ANDREW GANTZ, J. W. and J. L. CANADAY of this county….Methodist church…Funeral services were conducted by REV. I. O. KIMBLE the 27 ult., and the remains were interred in the Moorman cemetery.

The Fairfield Ledger
January 15, 1902
Page 3 column 5

PACKWOOD-MRS. ANNA SINCLAIR injured Thanksgiving Day by a fall from a buggy, and died Monday morning. She had so far recovered from her injuries as to be up and sat at the table Christmas Day with her children and grandchildren. MRS. SINCLAIR’S maiden name was ANNA CANADAY, and she was born in Highland County, Ohio, in 1816. She was married in 1839 to WM. SINCLAIR. They made a home in Indiana, remaining there six years. They came to Iowa and settled on a farm near Elm Grove, where they resided until ten years ago. They then came to Packwood, where MR. SINCLAIR died in two years. Three daughters and one son are left of eight children to mourn the loss of a noble mother. The son JAMES W., resides at Grand Junction, Col., MRS. ED SARGENT in Des Moines, while MRS. J. S. LAUGHARY and MISS MARGARET have their home here. MRS. SARGENT was not able to be here because of smallpox in her family. Funeral services will be held Wednesday or Thursday and interment will be made in the Moorman cemetery… She was a member of the Methodist church for many years, and there may be those left who remember those gray-haired patriarchs and the mothers of Israel who gave their testimony and sanctified that old place of worship, Elm Grove. But the scene has changed and only their graves and the records of their lives remain to us.

The Fairfield Ledger
June 11, 1902
Page 3 column 8

EDGAR L. FRESCOLN was born in Brookville, September 8th, 1867, and died of appendicitis at his home in Agency June 1st, aged thirty-two years, eight months, twenty-three days. His father was a minister of the Baptist church who died in 1876. The mother, MRS. JANE FRESCOLN, is living and is well and favorably known in the community…

The Fairfield Ledger
June 22, 1904
Page 2 column 1-2

The following very interesting paper was read by W. G. ROSS before the Jefferson County Historical Association, and is published by request of the association. It contains much of historical interest:

It would be a matter of gratification to see one of our townships as it was in 1840 or thereabouts, before it had been molded and tamed by the civilizing touch of man. The number of people in our county now who preserve such a picture in their minds is not very large, and probably in some townships there is no one who can recall that remote past in detail. We cannot but wish that the kodak fiend had been abroad in the land so that some of his souvenirs would furnish valuable additions to our museum.

The HON. H. B. MITCHELL, who came here in 1840 and whose memory of those early times is remarkable full and exact, has furnished me with a considerable amount of data as to Fairfield township, which is undoubtedly worth preserving.

In 1840 Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16 and 30 in Fairfield township were entirely without occupants. In fact, the land was not yet surveyed, and all the people here were squatters. The government survey of the township was made in June 1841, and the first public sale of lands in the township was held February 7th, 1843.

Early settlers had built cabins here and there over the prairie or behind a clump of trees, and occupied them as a general thing till they could get some kind of claim that would be recognized by law, or more frequently only by the custom among the frontiersmen, and then sell out and move on.

In Section 6 lived a man by the name of BLANKENSHIP, and all other details of him have vanished. In Section 7 were two families of HALES, who afterwards went to Mahaska County. None of these names appear in the original entries in these sections except JOHN HALE, who entered eighty acres in Section 7, which he sold in 1844 to CHRISTIAN CANADAY. FRANK MEEK had settled on the land in Section 9, which was entered by him or by his brother-in-law, NEWTON LAMB. This place has been known for many years as the DOUGLAS farm, and MR. MEEK had been attracted there by the grove which still stands north of the old house. This grove was then small in dimensions and of comparatively young trees. Clumps of trees were not common over the prairies, and the undergrowth which was plentiful thirty years ago was rare in 1840 by reason of the frequency of prairie fires. It was hard to cut a hand spike or a whip stock away from the growth that lined the larger creeks, and white oaks fit in size and length for tongues for ox carts were hard to find.

ANTHONY MILLER had settled on Section 18, on what we knew as the HORN place, and from there he removed to Lee County, Iowa. SAMUEL THRASH was already located in Section 17, and the old ZEIGLER place in Section 15 was occupied by a TROY family, the elder brother of whom, GEO. W. TROY, had stopped at Troy Point on the old GALLIGHER place in Cedar Township, and given his name to the creek, Troy branch.

DAVID CALDWELL lived in Section 19, and he removed to Abingdon. ‘SQUIRE NOTSON also held part of this section. His son, H. B. NOTSON, had held the town quarter, southwest quarter of Section 23, when the commissioners located the county seat on it, and they probably bought him out, although of course he had no claim that the government would recognize. CLAYBORN PARKER and JOHN YOUNG, the latter of whom all of us know, occupied Section 20, and a man named PAYTON was in Section 21. In Section 22 were JAMES ALLEN, JAMES RICHARDSON, father-in-law of JOHN YOUNG, ISAAC BAKER, who held what we know as the JAMES WILKINS place, and WM. YOUNG. JAMES ALLEN made spinning wheels, and MRS. SAMUEL THRASH, who lives in the southwest part of Fairfield, still has in her possession one such machine of his manufacture. DR. MOBERLY, who then lived on the present courthouse block, JOHN SHIELDS, who was elected sheriff in 1844, and HORACE GAYLORD, all had claims in Section 23. WILLIAM HALL, ELI YOUNG, and THOS. HOLLINGSHEAD laid claim to Section 29. WILLIAM HALL ultimately returned to Tennessee, and I have no data as to the other two men. MRS. HOLLINGSHEAD was something of an artist and would play the fiddle left handed to accommodate the dancers at sociable gatherings. DANIEL CHAPIN and MR. MITCHELL himself were in Section 28, WILLIAM HITCHCOCK in Section 27, and CHARLES DAVID in Section 26. DAVID, however, did not enter any land in Section 25, which is now the west part of the city and the GAGE and DUBOIS land. The north half of Section 25, being the north part of the city, was claimed by L. W. SANDERS, J. A. PITZER and MR. OLNEY, the father of Judge OLNEY. As the records here show, the northwest quarter of this section was entered April 25th, by JOHN A PITZER and SAMUEL SHUFFLETON. PITZER was an early day clerk of the District Court and SHUFFLETON a member of the bar. When SHUFFLETON became a member of the bar I do not know. He was here in 1840 and he died about October, 1846.

Three men, HAYES, BLAIR and BROSS, were in Section 31, and JOSEPH CLINKINBEARD, father of the JOSEPH CLINKINBEARD we all well know, had located in Section 32, and near to Cedar Creek, and the old settlers tell us of a rising of the waters which is called CLINK’S ford. MOSE MCCLARY and a man by the name of GORDY were in Section 33, CHARLES HITCHCOCK and STEPHEN COOPER in Section 34, G. HITCHCOCK in Section 36 and J. W. CULBERTSON in Section 37.

This seems to be a roster of the entire settlement in Fairfield township, outside of the town quarter, in 1840. Sixty-four years work very great changes. So far as I am able to figure out, in not a single instance do the descendants of any of these men now own the land on which their ancestors settled. The law granting the right to transfer land easily and finally by plain deed was a great advance on feudal customs, and the American people wisely avail themselves of this right. A study of this list also gives one some notion of the mobility of our people. Many of these people remained here but a short time. Most of them did not enter land in the county, had no money to do it with, MR. MITCHELL suggests. Practically, land at $1.25 an acre was not easy to pay for. Some of them returned east and south; more of them went on west when the Indians were taken away in 1842-4, and some traveled on even to California. SAMUEL THRASH, JOHN YOUNG, H. B. MITCHELL, JOSEPH CLINKINBEARD, J. W. CULBERTSON, JOHN A. PITZER and SAMUEL SHUFFLETON lived here some or many years. Excepting MR. MITCHELL, all of these men are dead, and I think all those who are dead died in this county. All these men raised families here except PITZER and SHUFFLETON, and both of these men had families when here, but, excepting two daughters of MR. MITCHELL, MRS. L. L. WILKINS and MRS. CHAS. CORBITT, and their children, no child or descendant of any of these men lives in the township outside of the city.

The subject of education was one which the settlers brought with them, and where three or four families were gathered together in their midst must be a school house. There are now ten school houses in Fairfield township. No. 1 used to be on the south line of Section 36, on DAVID MCKEE’S land, but is now on the land of L. L. WILKINS. The first house was built in 1848. The STEVER school house is No. 2, and it was also built in 1848. No. 3 known as Plum Grove, was founded about the same time. The school house, which was used for a generation down till within a few years ago was built in 1853 or 1854, and the old school house at Elm Grove, No. 4, was built in the same year. There were schools before there were school houses, for a report made by PETER G. SNOOK in 1847 as director of No. 6, Hardscrabble, shows that there were forty-eight days of school taught in the district that school year, that there were in the district forty-seven persons of school age, and that JOHN SNOOK was paid $13 per month for teaching the school; but the first school house in No. 5 was erected as near as I have been able to determine, in 1852. The first school house in No. 6, just north of the college, was built by SAM SLOAN as director some time in the early ‘50’s. No. 7, the ROTH school house down by the old MILLS place, was built about 1854. No. 8, on the JIM WILKINS place, was built after the completion of the railroad through the county, probably about 1860, because the railroad shut the children of northern location away from the STEVER school house. No. 9 was built in 1865 or ’66 and No. 10 some time still later.

The Fairfield Journal
March 18, 1908
Page 2

FEBRUARY HISTORY-By HIRAM HEATON--- On the 8th SAMUEL H. ROBB died at Gibbon, Neb., aged 69. MR. ROBB served in a Kentucky regiment in the Civil War; he was a school teacher for many years in this county, after coming home. This county was his home almost fifty years.

The Fairfield Ledger
December 5, 1957
Page 12 column 2

BROOKVILLE ONCE THRIVING VILLAGE OF 200 RESIDENTS…(ROLL) IRELAND pointed where such landmarks the old Baptist church, the saw mill, blacksmith shop, and others once stood. He pointed out where the old tannery was located where ISAAC NEWTON WILLIAMS, grandfather of WALTER E. WILLIAMS, Fairfield was murdered. WILLIAMS operated the tannery, and hired a man to run the business while he was in the army during the Civil War. Shortly after WILLIAMS returned, he and the man got in an argument over the war, and WILLIAMS was stabbed.

Notify Administrator about this message?

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network