This information is from the family of John James Gately, b 22 July 1917, married to Bridie Cusach, 14 Nov 1949 (daughter of William Cusach). They lived in Casteltown, Curraghboy, Roscommon Co., Ireland. Their children are:
Sean Francis Gately, b 18 Aug 1950
Mary Margaret Gately, b 2 Dec 1951
Kathleen Philomena Gately, b 6 April 1953
William Martin Gately, b 11 May 1954
Monica Teresa Gately, b 4 May 1956
Patrick Joseph Gately, b 25 Jun 1957
Michael Paul Gately, b 25 Jun 1957
Bridgett Annette Gately, b 8 May 1959
Diarmuld Gerard Gately, b 24 April 1960
Elthne Martina Gately, b 10 Jul 1962
Brian Thomas Gately, b 23 Feb 1966
Dierdre Gately, b 11 May 1969
Roman Gately, b 11 May 1969
Maeve Gately, b 16 Dec 1974
Mary Margaret Gately m Robin Banks, London, England 12 July 1975
Monica Teresa Gately m Declan Coyne, Dublin, Ireland 16 Dec 1974.
Tombstone Inscriptions from Roscommon Co, Ireland:
1) Pray for the soul of Tnady Kelly who caused this monumnet to be erected in memory of his first wife, Ann Gately, who died ye year 1740. For use of his now wife Anner Gately.
2) O Lord have mercy on the soul of Patrick Gately who departed ys wife February 9, 1799 aged 37 years. This monument was erected by his brothers Hugh and Mathise Gately and his wife Margret Gately alias Hannan and his son Robert Gately.
3) Pray for ye soul of Moris Geatly, Nora Morgan and their posterity 1729
4) Underneath this tomb lie the mortal remains of Patrick Gattly who departed this life on the 8 March 1817 aged 57 years. Also his wife, Rosanna Dayly, ali Gattly dept this life 12 March 1815 aged 55 yrs. This monument was erected by their son and daughters, James Gattly, Margret Donnellon, Anne Noone. In memory of them and posterity.
5) Pray for ye soul of Loughlin Gately who deptd this life 10 Dec 1730 aged 70 years. Also the soul of Giles Gately alias Kenedy who departed this life the 28 Nov 1733 aged 63 years. Pray for the soul of Father Patrick Gateley who caused this monument to be erected Aug 8, 1761.
6) Patrick Geatly b & d Apr 12th, 1725
7) Mart Geatly, Fargy Geatly, Mary Doly, 1729
8) In fond memory of Bridget Gately who died 8th December 1912 aged 62 years. Also her son, Patrick, who died 27 Nov 1902 aged 22 years. Her husband John died 27th Oct 1917 aged 83.
Notes from John Gately of Castletown, Curraghboy, Roscommoon Co, Ireland taken from local cemeteries 1972.
Mr. Gately also made a copy of the 1749 Census list of Gately's, Gathely, if anyone is interested.
In his writing he says that Gately is the English form of Mac Gatlaorc pronounced Ma Gawhlee by native speakers still in this area (Roscommon). Laorch is the Irish for Warrior. Gath has several meanings including barb (of an arrow), sting (of a bee, wasp, etc.) also a stammer (in speaking.)
Nina Gateley Fisher
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|