William Gleaves was born circa 1750. He was the son of Matthew Gleaves, Sr., (d. 1760 in Augusta Co., VA). He was mentioned in the lawsuit of "Turk v. Rafferty" in 1772 in Augusta Co., VA as being an adult who was appointed as guardian ad litem for his younger brothers and sisters in connection with the lawsuit.
He married Elizabeth Turk (1753-1840), daughther of Thomas Turk, Sr., of Augusta Co., VA on 3 May 1770 in Augusta Co., VA. They had the following children:
1. Thomas Gleaves, born March 17, 1771, married Sarah Smith in March 1797 in Davidson Co., TN, died in Davidson Co., TN in 1849.
2. Matthew Gleaves, born 9 Nov. 1772. He wrote his Will in Davidson Co., TN in 1803. I have conflicting information on him. One source says he married Elizabeth Pate and another source said he never married.
3. Mary (Polly) Gleaves, born 13 Dec. 1774, married Andrew Porter.
4. William Gleaves, Jr., born 27 Sept. 1777, married Margaret (Peggy) Findley in Wythe Co., VA on 16 Sept. 1802), died before 1820 in Christian Co., KY.
5. Elizabeth Gleaves, born 2 Oct. 1779, married __?__ Ramsey in Wythe Co., VA on 24 Dec. 1802.
6. Absolom Gleaves, born 3 Sept. 1781, married Catherine Halsey in Wythe Co., VA on 18 Aug. 1803, died 18 Sept. 1834 in Davidson Co., TN.
7. Margaret (Peggy) Gleaves, born 13 March 1782, married Thomas Turk, III, in Wythe Co., VA on 24 Dec. 1802, died 14 Sept. 1855 in Adair Co., KY.
8. Esther Gleaves, born 14 Jan. 1786, married Asa (Esau) Findley in Wythe Co., VA on 18 Aug. 1806, died in Saline Co., MO on 1 March 1839.
9. James Turk Gleaves, Sr., born 16 Feb. 1788, married Malvina Crockett circa 1822 (she was reportedly the sister to the famous Davy Crockett), died 1862.
10. Sarah (Sally) Gleaves (this author's ancestor), born 20 Feb. 1790 in Wythe Co., VA, married Nathan Allen in Wythe Co., VA on 6 Sept. 1810, died in Warren Co., KY 11 March 1862.
Most of these vital statistics on William Gleaves his children came from the Nathan Allen bible.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|