One of the techniques I use to sort information is the use of a time-line. They can answer questions and very often raise new ones. I recently did a time-line using information of the first 2 or 3 generations of Guptons and this is what I found:
(1) no later than 1650 William the immigrant Gupton was born
(2) 1662 William Moseley and John Hull received land for the transport of 116 persons to Old Rappahannock Co. VA, among the headrights was WILLIAM GUTTON. We can pretty well assume this was our William. He was probably in his teens, a 1650 birthdate would make him 12 years old. These applications for land were sometimes much later than the actual importation of headrights, so 1662 is the latest date for immigration.
(3)1667 a Susannah Gubtin witnessed a will (I would like to know whose will, if anybody has this info)She would have had to be at least 21 to have been a witness. Relationship to William?? wife? sister? mother?
(4) 1673 William Gubtin sold land to Matthew Wilcox. By this time (11 years after immigration -age in his 20's) William had worked off his indenture for his importation (usually about 8 years, I think) had bought land, probably from Mosely and Hull as it was in the same area where their grant was. He had most likely married by this time to an unknown wife.
***(5) 1670 STEPHEN GUBTAILE sold land to Nicholas Smith. WAS THIS WILLIAM'S FATHER?? *** Too old to be his son!
(6) 1685 A William Guppy was sent to the Barbados accused of treason - too late to have been our William Gupton. He was already in VA - sold land in 1673, remember, so this was somebody else.
(7) 1708/1709 William Gupton's will proved. Named three sons William (probably eldest), Stephen and Francis. Francis was probably in ill health as the will states that if he should die his part would go to the other two sons. William definitly married by this time as already had son Stephen born (according to North Farnhum register in 1703. William estimated to have been born about 1680.
(7) 1704 a Stephen and Elizabeth Gupton signed a deed. Was this SON Stephen and Elizabeth Harford Gupton who married but had no children until 1713 - Williams children registered in 1703, 1709 but no chldren for Stephen until 1713. COULD THIS HAVE BEEN WILLIAM'S FATHER STEPHEN?? It is possible children were stillborn or miscarriages occured in the first 9 years of Stephen and Elizabeth's marriage, so there are possibilities.
Some food for thought - any researchers out there with additional information or ideas?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|