Captain(s) John Hagerman and family
The original home of the Hagermans was in Germany. They migrated to Holland and thence to America. The Hagermans were Loyalists during the American Revolution, being residents of New York state. At the close of the war, two Hagermans, possibly brothers, maybe father and son, John and Francis came to New Brunswick and received grants of land on the north east arm of Grand Lake. They probably never occupied these grants as they were escheated by the Crown a few years later, because the terms of the grant had not been fulfilled. Further knowledge of Francis is unknown. The history of the Hagermans rests with the lineage of Captain John Hagerman Sr.
John Hagerman became a captain in the Loyalists army and was among those who came to St. John in 1783, or shortly thereafter. He brought his slave with him. They came up the river to Fredericton, where he received a grant of land where the legislative buildings now stand. On their return trip to St. John, he became ill and drowned in the Saint John River. He was buried on an island in the St. John River: the name of the island is a unknown. He left a widow and two sons, John and Cornelius. His widow later married a man named Wilsey. She and the two sons went up the river to Bear Island and there, in exchange for the block of land at Fredericton, they received a grant of 400 acres, land recently owned by Harold Brown and Robert Hagen. Eventually Cornelius sold his share of the property to brother John and secured land up River where the cemetery is located. (the cemetery was relocated during the construction of Mactaquac Dam)
Cornelius Hagerman married Elizabeth Foreman
John Hagerman (Jr.), born November 22, 1781, married Mary Atherton on September 13th 1802. On February 5, 1829 he was appointed a captain in the Second Battalion York County Militia and served for several years. This commission would have provided him with an incometo begin to build a new house on his property. He commissioned James Mitchell, a respected Scottish carpenter, who lived at Scotch Settlement, to do the finish work. He died January 18th 1838, at age 56, intestate and the legal entanglements went on until 1863. Mary Hagerman died December 26th 1849 at age 72. Both are buried in the Bear Island Cemetery (now relocated).
They had seven children; Cornelius, James W., Abigail, William, John Irad, Jane, George.
James W. was born in 1804 in Queensburry. He was a farmer/proprietor. He married Sarah Ann Courser, born 1810, of Prince William on April 1st 1830. There was an eight year-old female lodger, Deborah OíDonnell, Irish, who lived with the family in 1851. James and Sarah moved from Bear Island, York County to Lindsay, Carleton county. Sarah died in 1873. James died in 1887. Their children were: Cornelius, born 1831, died 1889 - bachelor; Mary Jane, born 1834, died ? John Hiram, born 1837 (?) died 1918 - bachelor; Benjamin C. born 1847, died ? Alan Gilbert, born 1850 - married Annie Frame, died 1917.
Captain John Hagermanís uniform and sword may now be on display in the (Cornelius) Hagerman House in Kings Landing Historical Settlement. (www.kingslanding.nb.ca) The sword (his fatherís?) is a beautifully engraved curved sword that appears to be well used. They were donated to the York-Sunbury Historical Society.
An original Land Grant Deed, complete with bees wax seal, given to John Hagerman in January 1824, was loaned (long-term) to the University of New Brunswick Archives.
The above information was current as of August 1988. Hagerman Complex information from Kings Landing Historical Settlement may have further details.
My WebSite is: http://homepage.mac.com/leolash
Herbert Douglas Hagerman
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|