Stop it! Your efforts are wonderful. No need to worry.
I am so excited you found information about Sophia. She has been one of the most difficult parts of the puzzle. I would love to read the transcript you have. What census info do you have? In http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyclinto/alph1800.htm it lists Charles Amla, John Bt. Amlin and John Amlin. Also, in a 1850 census that I found in Mass. it lists Charles Amlaw (age 28), Sailor and place of birth as NY. Also listed is his family- Adaline (26) born NY, Adaline (8) born NY, Abraim (6) born NY, Joseph (4) born NY, Adelphine (2) born NY.
Joseph (born 1816) and his father were bootleggers, running from Canada to Mass and back. Willard Amlaw ran a barge from Canada to and from Mass. transporting supplies (and possibly alcohol)until the barge sunk. Not sure how it sunk tho. Willard had nine children. The children never went to school and lived with starvation most of the time. As a matter of fact, one of his newborn children died at 2 months because of starvation.
Well, here is what I have for my lineage:
1. Nicolas Hamelin, b. 1700 Coustaces, Normandy, France married to Marie Dubois; Nicolas is father of-
2. Jacques Hamelin, b. 1717 L'Assomption, QC married to Marie Barbe Souliere Tranchemontagne Sustier on 11 Jul 1731. Jacques is the father of-
3. Jean Baptise Hamelin, b.10 Aug 1750 L'Assomption, QC and married to Marie Francoise Sullier (Soullier). Jean Baptiste is father of-
4. Charles Hamelin, b.unk. Point aux Roches and married to Marie Agathe Bureau (Mariages de St.Joseph de Chambly [Q11B]). Charles is the father of-
5. Joseph Amlaw, b.1817 and married to Sophia Pelkey. Joseph is father of-
6. Willard Amlaw, b. 1846 and married to Eva Jane Chase (of New Hampshire). Willard is the father of-
7. Mary B. Amlaw (aka:Pitty) b. 20 May 1878 in Rouses Point, NY and married to John Angus MacMillan. Mary is the mother of-
8. Miles MacMillan, my grandfather.
As for Sophia being Native American. That was the family story. But, when I investigated further it is not Sophia but much further down the line.
The other Amlaw that you are in contact with is that James?
Do you live in NH? Are you a member of ACGS?
You can reply to me thru my email if you like.
Thank you very much for answering my message and all the hard work you have done. I hope the information I have provided may have helped you. If you need further info on our lineage I would be happy to share. Please keep in touch. :-)
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|