Since I posted my original message I have learned a little more about my grandmother Mary Hanratty' family.
1. Her brother John born in 1874, Upper Creggan Co. Louth, did emigrate to NY at some point and worked for Con-Edison for many years.
2. John married a Maggie? in NY, don't know the date and her last name as yet, it may have been Laverty but probably not. A younger sister to John, Margaret born in 1886, married to Edward Laverty at Crossmaglen in 1908. I think this was the only time John Hanratty married.
3. John Hanratty & Maggie? did not have any children. Both died in NY, Maggie in 1954 John in 1957, they are buried there. It was difficult to obtain his death cert from NY Dept. of Health but well worth the effort for the details in it.
4. John's brother Thomas was born in 1880, not twins after all. An elderly second cousin has told me that Thomas Hanratty did emigrate to NY but never married, and he did vanish one day, perhaps not in the best of circumstances, no date there. My cousin also said, "I had four uncles, three of them got married and non of them had children, the line, the Hanratty name died with them".
5. Another sister to my grandmother Mary, Bridget Hanratty, married to Patrick McEnaney at Crossmaglen in 1900.
For those of you who have ancestors from the Louth/Armagh/Monaghan etc area here is a website which might be of interest, it has many family names and their relationships to each other on it, with some details on my Hanratty & Thronton familes. Who know, you might find a connection, if you do I know that Patrick Devlin will be happy to hear from you!
The parents of the above Hanrattys were Thomas Hanratty (born 1841) & Mary Murtagh, married Crossmaglen in 1867, both buried in the churchyard there.
The parents of this Thomas were Edward Hanratty & Bridget Hanratty who were married in 1824, guess where! (My mother always said that in her family a Hanratty married a Hanratty).
Thomas born in 1841 had the following siblings, no other info so far except as below.
1. James born 17th April 1825.
2. Owen born 28th July 1826.
3. --id born ---- August 1830.
4. Betty born 11th Feb. 1835.
5. Ann born 23rd Feb. 1837.
6. John born 24th August 1843.
7. Owen born 3rd April 1847. (This probably indicates that the first Owen died at a very young age.)
If I have any connections to relatives with the Hanratty surname it would have to be through this generation.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|