I'll put this part on the forum as I am secure abt. life in OH & children of Solomon Hartzog and Susan King, dtr. of Philip III King & Mary Leah Wright. Children are:
1) Mary A. b. 1830-2 PA, d. 1874 Van Wert Co., OH, m. abt 1848 VW Co. David Smith.
2) Jesse, b. 1833/4 PA, d. aft 1882 prob. Blackcreek Twp., Mercer Co. OH, m. 1 Apr 1854 Mary A. Adams.
3) OUR ANCESTOR Leah, b. 22 Jan 1836 Willshire Twp., VW Co., m. 14 Dec 1852 IN John Zimmerman, s. of Eli of MD>IN>OH and
Polly Smith of VA.>IN>?OH. She m. 2nd Henry Banta. Probably both of their lst spouses were victims of a cholera epidemic that coincides w/their deaths and wiped out a large fleet of residents. Leah & Henry continued in the mercantile business - an offshoot of the trading post of her parents.
4) boy b. abt 1837, not on 1850 cs.
5) Eliza, b. abt 1839/40 Willshire Twp, m. James C. Casto.
6) King Solomon, b. abt 1836/1838Willshire Twp, d. abt 9 Sep 1863, Battle of Chicamagua, TN (MIA). He m. Polly Maddox or Meddaugh.
7) Benjamin S., b. abt 1841 Willshire Twp.,
d. abt 19 Sep 1863 Battle of Chatanooga TN (MIA)
Solomon and Susan arrived by 1834 from Reading, Berks Co., settling in Willshire Twp. on the St. Mary's River where they had a trading post. Family legend is that they doctored Indians in need of it & never sold alcohol to Indians since it did them so much harm. In a time of famine, the Indians sustained this family.
Susan d. lst 1842 and Solomon moved to Willshire town, d. abt 1848. Children rcvd
Of my mother's families, only the son of Christian Hartzog, Benjamin F. survived the Civil War. He was a nephew of Susan and Solomon, our ancestors.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|