Looking for relatives of the following family...
HISTORY OF THE HÜECKER FAMILY
by Maude Heacker WRIGHT
Transcribed by Edward G. LOONEY on 8/17/1995
About the year, 1812, Adam HÜECKER bought a farm near Velmede, Westfälen (Westphalia) Germany, to which he moved all his family. In the town of Velmede, some years later, he bought a hotel and immediately turned the management of the farm over to his son, Herman HÜECKER. He then moved together with his other single children to Velmede, not only for the purpose of assisting him and his wife with the management of the hotel, but also to allow his older children, then at home, to enter high school. After infirmity of age and ill health over took him, he placed his son Adam HÜECKER in charge of the hotel.
It is not known when or who the second daughter, Mary, of Adam HÜECKER children married or where she lived. My Father just could remember that he had an aunt, Mary, who married and probably moved to some other country.
Adam HÜECKER's third daughter, name unknown, married a Mr. PULITZER. This aunt and uncle had a large family and lived in Velmede, Westfälen province, Germany. Their eldest son, whose given name is not known, migrated to America in the year 1846. He bought property in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he was one of most prominent lawyers of that city, at his death, in 1876.
The fourth daughter of Adam HÜECKER married a Mr. SCHUEMAKER and one of their sons migrated to America at the same time that the PULITZER boy came, but finding difficulty in securing any work at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he went to Covington, Kentucky, where he bought a small tailor-shop. In 1879, when his death occurred, his business was the most outstanding one of that kind in Covington.
Accordingly, several years later, Herman HUECKER's youngest son also came to America and settled at Louisville, Kentucky. In 1900, his daughter, Mary, an old maid, was living on Oak Street, Louisville. This family refused to change their name and was known in Louisville, Kentucky, as HÜECKER.
Joseph Johannes HUECKER, my grandfather, was born at Augsburg, Bavaria on November 21, 1803. Some ten or twelve years later, his father, Adam HÜECKER, moved his family to a farm near Velmede Westfälen, Germany. The family resided on the farm many years, until their father moved into Velmede to assume the management of the hotel that he had bought there. At the age of 23 years Joseph was graduated from a teachers' college, and was immediately appointed by the government to a position as teacher in a school at Garbeck, Germany. Upon arriving in Garbeck he went at once to the estate of William VON LOESSE, just three miles north of Garbeck, to secure room and board as the VON LOESSEs were friends of long standing who had lived many years at Velmede. After having taught in Garbeck about two years, Joseph married William VON LOESSE's only daughter, Fredrecia, on October the 5, 1830. For about three years, Joseph and his wife resided at the home of her father. In the meantime, William Joseph and Mary Catherine, two children, of Joseph and Frederica were born here in the VON LOESSE home.
Late in the year, 1833, Joseph HÜECKER bought a small farm nearer the town of Garbeck. It was on this farm that my father and his four sisters and three of their brothers spent their childhood days, as their father was a teacher at Garbeck for twenty-six years.
Eager not only to improve his property, but also to have an income other than his salary as a teacher, Joseph HÜECKER had a wall about ten feet high constructed across the creek that ran through his property for the purpose of operating two mills. One for making flour and the other was a linseed oil mill. This proved financially to be an unfortunate business adventure. For men employed to manage the mills, took undue advantage of the owner's absence from the mills, to appropriate the proceeds, gained from the sale of flour and linseed oil, to advance their own private concerns.
In later years, failure in this milling business was the weighty influence that swayed Professor HÜECKER into a firm resolve to leave Germany and go to America.
In the eastern part of Germany, near the Oder River, about eighty miles from the Polish border, in the province of Silesia, in the year 1774, a girl, named Frederica, was born. Her maiden name is not known, as my Father, from senility of age, could not recall the maiden name of his grandmother. However, Father knew that in 1794 Frederica married Mr. John PLASMAN and to this union only one child was born, who was named John for his father. In a few years after Frederica's marriage two of her brothers finished their training as catholic priests and one was sent by the Catholic Church as the diocesan of the diocese at Cologne Cathedral. When Mrs. PLASMAN's son, John, was about twelve years of age his uncle who was a priest at Cologne Cathedral advised the boy's parents to move to Western Germany where the boy would have better opportunity for higher education. Accordingly the PLASMAN family moved to Velmede, Westfälen Province, Western Germany. In the year, 1810, John PLASMAN, Sr. died. A few years after his father's death John PLASMAN Jr. Graduated from a military school and entered the army. He eventually became a General in the German army. His mother being left all alone after her only son enlisted in the army married the second time. Father thought it was in the year, 1813, that Frederica PLASMAN married William VON LOESSE at Velmede.
After his marriage to Frederica PLASMAN, William VON LOESSE lived in Velmede about eight years. They now had two children. Their oldest child, Frederica, was born May 14, 1817, and their second and last child was born sometime in 1817, and was named William for his father.
Sometime in the year 1820, William VON LOESSE bought a farm just three miles north of Garbeck. This home of VON LOESSE was a three story, stone building. The stables were built at the back of the house with a long stone passageway connecting them with the house. The servants' rooms, which were built over the barn, were reached by an outside stone stairway. In the arrangement of the main building a basement extended under the entire building. On the outside of the house, a stone stairway led from the basement to the first floor where were located the living room or reception-hall, dining room, and kitchen. The rooms on the second floor were used exclusively for bedrooms for members of the family and guests. On the third floor were the library, music hall, recreation room and schoolroom. After little Frederica and her brother William were ready to enter high school, they were sent to school at Garbeck.
On October the 5, 1830, Frederica married Joseph HÜECKER, and she as was only sixteen her parents would not give their consent to the young couple's leaving the VON LOESSE Home. The son, William, never married. In later years, when William VON LOESSE Sr. failed in health, this son managed the farm for his father. At the death of his parents, he inherited the entire estate except $3,000.00 dollars in Prussian money, which Frederica received as her share in the estate many years after she had left Germany. She migrated to America in 1852.
Dr. William Joseph HEACKER (HÜECKER) was born March 26, 1832, at the home of his grandfather, William VON LOESSE, who lived on his farm three miles north of Garbeck. As Garbeck was located in the Westfälen Province, which was strictly a catholic section of Western Germany, Dr. HEACKER was reared in the catholic faith. His grandmother, Mrs. William VON LOESSE, had two brothers, whose names were unknown, who were catholic priests. One of these priests was the diocesan at the Cologne Cathedral, which was ninety miles from Garbeck, Germany.
At the age of twelve William was sent to Cologne to begin a course of study for priesthood. As the boy was interested in the study of chemistry, and anatomy, naturally the religious restrictions imposed on him, by his uncle at the Cathedral, was intolerant to his impetuous nature that rebelled by reading books of his own selection. Finally after two years restless life at the cathedral, he was sent back to his Father's farm as superintendent of the flour and linseed oil mills. At the mills, he spent the livelong day in the mill-office reading such books as he could obtain on chemistry and anatomy, giving little or no attention to the business concern of the mills.
William VON LOESSE Jr., the brother of William's mother who thought that the boy should be sent to a medical school, prevailed with the boy's parents to give the boy a chance to pursue the vocation of his choice. Accordingly, after much consideration of the expenses that a medical education at Bonn University would incur, William's father agreed to allow him to enter that institution for the purpose of studying medicine.
By the time that William was graduated from the University, the business at the mills was on the brink of failure, and Professor HÜECKER realized the mills must be sold. For many years, William had been corresponding with his cousins in America. They continually insisted that he come to America immediately upon his graduation from Bonn University. Immediately upon leaving the university, William began a tour of Italy, Spain and France before sailing for America. Sometime in the year 1851 he went to London, England, where his father and sister Mary joined him a few days before they sailed for America.
Upon reaching America they went to Philadelphia to visit their cousin Mr. PULITZER. Then, they continued on to Louisville, Kentucky to visit their cousin Mr. HÜECKER. At the insistence of Mr. HÜECKER they bought a small home in Louisville and began life there as American citizens. Sometime in the following year William and his father went to New York to meet his mother who was arriving there, from Germany, with the rest of the family.
After practicing medicine in Kentucky and Illinois, for many years, Dr. William J. HEACKER moved near Beans Station, Tennessee, where he established the Mineral Hill Sanitarium. At about this time, Dr. HEACKER's father contracted cancer of the lip and came to the Sanitarium for treatment. On November 2, 1883, Professor Joseph J. HEACKER (HÜECKER) died at his son's home at the Mineral Hill Sanitarium, Beans Station, Tennessee.
When a young man, living in Louisville, Kentucky, Dr. HEACKER met Miss Armilda WRIGHT of Bridge Port, Kentucky, and they were married at her father's home, on April 28, 1856. Among the wedding guests were Mr. John L. McKENDRICK and Mr. J.W. BAILEY. As at the time, the Baptist minister was away from home, visiting relatives in another city, the officiating minister was J.W. WALLEN, Minister of the Christian Church.
After having practiced medicine for forty years in the Eastern part of Tennessee, Dr. William Joseph HEACKER died March 26, 1915, at Mineral Hill Springs, and was buried by the side of his wife, and near his Father, in the cemetery at Beans Station, Tennessee.
Joseph Johannes HÜECKER (HEACKER)
Frederica VON LOESSE HÜECKER (HEACKER)
Births and deaths of the children of Frederica and Joseph HEACKER
Dr. William Joseph HEACKER
Mary Cathrine Heacker FULLNER
Josephine Heacker HIGGINS
Henry A. HEACKER
Wilhelmina Heacker ABRAHAM
Frances A. HEACKER
Theresa Heacker NIEMES
Frank L. HEACKER
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|