I have been checking out the Justice/Jestes Family on Ancestry and Genforum. I am seeing a lot of mixed up families.
The JOSEPH and NANCY JUSTICE family of Reems Creek, Buncombe Co., N.C. are as follows:
1. NANCY was NANCY ELLER, daughter of JOSEPH ELLER and SARAH STEPHENS. SARAH STEPHENS father was JOSEPH STEPHEN and was at least part Cherokee Indian. JOSEPH STEPHEN is listed on a "Muster Roll" of Cherokee Indians that was involved in the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in Alabama in 1814. JOSEPH STEPHEN died in the battle and listed as such.
2. JOSEPH & NANCY (ELLER) JUSTICE are listed on 1840, 1850, & 1860 Buncombe Co., N.C. censuses. The 1860 census states they lived in Ivy & Reems Creek District. Reems Creek is southeast of Weaverville, N.C. JOSEPH ELLER was a large land holder on Reems Creek & Flat Creek in Buncombe Co., N.C.
3. JOSEPH & NANCY (ELLER) JUSTICE'S children as listed on the 1850 census were:
(7) JANE [SOPHRONIA]
A daughter, ELIZABETH, was added on the 1860 census.
NANCY (ELLER) JUSTICE'S father, JOSEPH ELLER died in September, 1863 in Buncombe Co., N.C. His estate records are located at the N.C. State Archives in Raliegh. His estate took several years to be settled. The first estate document which was filed with the court in the "Fall Term of 1863" states that NANCY ELLER married JOSEPH JUSTICE. NANCY (ELLER) JUSTICE died before her father's estate was settled. Later court documents list all the children of JOSEPH & NANCY (ELLER) JUSTICE since they were now heirs to JOSEPH ELLER'S estate.
(1) NICHOLAS H. JUSTICE marr. (1) HARRIETT JANE MASSEY, April 15, 1855, Madison Co., N.C.. HARRIETT died after 3 kids born. (2) SARAH SAMANTHA SPRINKLE, Mar. 19, 1864, Madison Co., N.C. - 3 kids
(2) JAMES N. JUSTICE (Nov. 11, 1834 - Mar. 4, 1916) marr. MARTHA CALOWAY, May 12, 1861, Buncombe Co., N.C. - no kids - He can't be found in Buncombe Co., N.C. per 1869 estate document.
(3) JACOB M. JUSTICE (1839 - Jan. 21, 1907) marr. REBECCA ROBERTS, Nov. 15, 1859, Buncombe Co., N.C. - 7 kids
(4) JOHN JUSTICE (1842 - 1863-69) - He is not listed as an heir in JOSEPH ELLER'S estate - therefore he evidently died before the 1869 estate document listing heirs was filed.
(5) GRAGG JUSTICE (1844 - ?) - He can't be found in Buncombe Co., N.C. per 1869 estate document.
(6) WILLIAM JUSTICE (1846 - ?) - He can't be found in Buncombe Co., N.C. per 1869 estate document. There is a WILLIAM JUSTICE that married MARTHA ROBERTS, Dec. 31, 1862 in Madison Co., N.C.
(7) SOPHRONIA JANE JUSITCE (Feb. 14, 1844 [I think the birth year is off a couple years.] - Dec. 17, 1922) - 2 daughters (no marr. to the girls father found). SOPHRONIA JUSTICE, age 28, marr. REX ADKINS, age 68, Dec. 3, 1883, Yancey Co., N.C.
(8) ELIZABETH JUSTICE (1854 - 1863-69) - ELIZABETH is not listed as an heir in the 1869 estate document - therefore she must have died bet. 1863-1969.
JACOB M., JOHN G. M., and WILLIAM W. JUSTICE all served in Co. K, 25th Regt., N.C. Infantry during the Civil War. NICHOLAS H. JUSTICE served in Co. H., 28th N.C. Infantry. JAMES JUSTICE served in Co. C, 69th, N.C. Infantry. Their father, JOSEPH JUSTICE served in Co. C, 60th N.C. Infantry.
JOSEPH & NANCY (ELLER) JUSTICE lived for a short time at Franklin, Macon Co., N.C. according to the Civil War pension file for Eli Roberts. Eli Roberts' widow, Mary Ann (Eller) Roberts was trying to obtain a pension. She stated she was married at the home of her sister, NANCY (ELLER) JUSTICE, April 25, 1842, in Franklin, Macon Co., N.C.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|