JANE SPENCER KEELING was born on 16 May 1807 (almost certainly in Elbert County GA) to Leonard and Elizabeth HAYNES Keeling and died AFT 1870 [see msg # 1110], very likely in Upshur County, TX. I cannot find her in the 1880 census or other records, and she likely died before then. She married Asa JENNINGS after the 1830 census was taken and probably ABT 1833, although I have found no record. Asa was born in South Carolina ABT 1808 [see msg # 836]. The couple resided in Habersham County, GA in 1840, 1850, and 1860, according to those censuses, and they were in Upshur County, TX in 1870, having been part of the great migration out of Georgia after the Civil War. Upshur County, TX tax records in Austin show him paying taxes in 1870 and 1871 (without land), and paying taxes on the land labeled "Robertson land #438" during 1872-74. In 1875 he paid no taxes, but his son, William Washington Jennings, paid taxes on that land. Because no poll tax was paid in 1875, Asa likely died in 1874. I have not located a cemetery, nor any other records. To the best of my knowledge no Upshur County records have been filmed, and obtaining copies of extant records (if there are any) requires a trip to Gilmer, TX. The burning of the courthouse in 1888 makes survival of earlier records rather problematical. Nevertheless, Windell Horton of RAOGK made that trip and did not locate any land or probate records for this family (thanks for your generous help, Windell!).
It is worth mentioning that 3 Jennings children born in GA and living with the Asa Jennings family in TX were likely orphans. The 1870 census lists James (born ABT 1853) and John (born ABT 1865) living with Asa and Jane, while a younger Asa (born ABT 1856) was living nearby with their son William Washington Jennings (see below). The young James and Asa were almost certainly the nephews of Asa and Jane and the orphans of Thomas Enoch Jennings [see msg # 836], who died in the Civil War from typhoid fever. Two others in the latter family were living with Asa and Jane's daughter Sarah and her husband Littleton Collins in Habersham County, GA (see below). The young John Jennings is a mystery to me. The younger Asa married Susan Christopher in Camp County, TX on 4 Jan 1883 (she was buried at Lafayette Cemetery in Upshur County), while James W. married Nancy "Nannie" T. Mays on 15 Jan 1880 in Camp County. The latter couple were buried at Riley's Chapel Cemetery in Upshur County.
The 6 known children of Asa and Jane Spencer KEELING Jennings are:
Sarah Ann Elizabeth COLLINS 19 Jan 1835 5 Apr 1872
Mary Seleny WHISENANT 19 Apr 1837 10 Apr 1908
Susan A. WHISENANT 26 Jun 1839 26 Sep 1905
Martha J. MCCURDY 31 Aug 1842 30 Jun 1920
William Washington 26 Nov 1847 19 Feb 1925
Nancy Ellen DEWEESE 6 Mar 1853 14 Jul 1933
I regret that my tables of dates here and below were mangled by GenForum's software - extra spaces are deleted and a variable-width font is standard, making a tabular arrangement impossible. Family names listed in tables in caps are women's married names. Any information in brackets ("<...>", here or below) is from Internet or other sources that are difficult or impossible to confirm using documents. This device allows one to judge which information is fairly solid, although most information passed down through a family is expected to be reasonably accurate, even though the original sources (such as a family bible) may have been lost. Each of the 6 children in the table above is numbered and listed below in caps, followed by the grandchildren in a table, followed by detailed listings. These six children of Asa and Jane were followed by 23 known grandchildren.
(1) SARAH ANN ELIZABETH JENNINGS was born on 19 Jan 1835 in SC and died on 5 Apr 1872, according to her tombstone at the Zebulon Baptist Church Cemetery in Toccoa, Stephens County, GA. Her third given name is part of her marriage record in Habersham County, GA, while the second is from "The History of Stephens County, Georgia" by Kathryn Curtis Trogdon. She married Littleton Meeks "Lit" COLLINS [6 May 1827 - 27 Mar 1909; buried Zebulon] on 5 Nov 1851 in Habersham County. He was a Civil War veteran (Co. B 1st Ga. Reserves) who was listed as a widower in the 1880 census. A somewhat puzzling entry in the 1900 census has Lit and "Martha" Collins, listed as "Mother" and "Father", living with William Alexander Collins (Littleton's son) and his family. Dates of birth do not correspond to their tombstones, and Martha listed 7 of 8 children alive, rather than the 5 listed in the table below. In 1920 "Eliza" Collins [74 - born in SC] is listed as "Mother-in-Law" in the household of Mary Paulina SMITH (see table below). The Stephens County death certificate (whose information was provided by W. A. Collins - see table below) of a widowed Mary E. Collins [16 Nov 1845 - 29 Mar 1924; buried Zebulon] lists her parents as James WATT and "Jennings." Census records in Anderson District SC suggest that her parents were James D. and Mary (Jennings) Watt, which makes her the granddaughter of John Jennings, the niece of Asa and Jane Spencer Jennings (see msg # 836), and the cousin of Sarah Ann Elizabeth (Jennings) Collins. Presumably Littleton Collins remarried a widow, Mary Eliza WATT, a cousin of his first wife. I have not located a marriage record.
The known children of Littleton Meeks and Sarah Ann Elizabeth Collins were:
Asa Sanford 5 Mar 1856 24 Jun 1931
William Alexander T. 25 Dec 1859 8 Mar 1932
John H. M<organ> 16 Aug 1861 13 Sep 1889
Martha Emma [Tal]Lula DAVIS Sep 1865 <24 Apr 1914>
Mary Paulina E. SMITH 12 Aug 1869 26 Feb 1936
Asa Sanford Collins was born on 5 Mar 1856 in GA, died on 24 Jun 1931 in Stephens County, GA, and was buried at Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Stephens County, GA, according to his Stephens County death certificate. He married Rosa Lee Easter KYTLE [<4> Apr 1858 - 5 Nov 1938; buried Mt. Pleasant] in Habersham County on 18 Sep 1876. Her third name comes from the Collins family section of the Stephens County History. The 1860 Habersham County census lists her age as 2 (in agreement with her Mt. Pleasant Cemetery listing), while the 1900 census lists her birth date as Apr 1859, leading to Apr 1858 as the most likely date. Information about her death comes from the very informative online Stephens County Death Index. Some accounts give her name as Rosalee.
William Alexander T. "Alex" Collins was born on 25 Dec 1859 in GA, died on 8 Mar 1932 in Toccoa, Stephens County, GA, and was buried at Zebulon Baptist Church Cemetery in Stephens County, GA, according to his Stephens County death certificate. The initial "T" is listed in two early censuses. He married Mary Ellen DAVIS [22 Jul 1862 - 2 Sep 1947; buried Zebulon Baptist Church] on 26 Aug 1891 in Habersham County, GA. Her full name is listed in her Toccoa Record obituary. She was the sister of John Henry Davis who married Martha Collins (see below).
John H. M<organ> Collins was born on 16 Aug 1861 in GA, died on 13 Sep 1889, and was buried at Zebulon Baptist Church Cemetery, according to that cemetery's survey. He is listed in two censuses, both of which are more consistent with an 1862 birth. Information from Milton Scott suggests that the "M" stands for "Morgan."
Martha Emma Lula Collins was born on Sep 1865 in GA (according to the 1900 census) or 1866 according to the Collins family section of the Stephens County History. That history lists her death on <24 Apr 1914> and burial at Toccoa City Cemetery. The 1870 census lists her name as Martha E. T., and it is likely that her third given name was Tallulah (called "Lula"), a fairly common name in Georgia. She married John Henry DAVIS [6 Jan 1864 - 7 Jan 1948; buried Toccoa City Cemetery] (his family is listed in the Stephens County History) ABT 1889. After her death he married Frances Ida COLLINS Hulsey, Martha's niece who was the widow of Robert Almon Hulsey.
Mary Paulina E. Collins was born on 12 Aug 1869 in GA, died on 26 Feb 1936 in Toccoa, Stephens County, GA, and was buried at Zebulon Baptist Church Cemetery, according to her Stephens County death certificate. She married George Milligan SMITH [12 Feb 1861 - 26 Aug 1944; buried Zebulon] on 10 Apr 1890 in Habersham County, GA.
(2) MARY SELENY JENNINGS was born on 19 Apr 1837 in GA, died on 10 Apr 1908 in Downing, Comanche County, TX, and was buried at Toliver Cemetery in Comanche, according to her Comanche County death certificate and her cemetery listing. She married Littleton Meeks WHISENANT [31 Mar 1847 - 28 Oct 1920; buried Toliver] ABT 1872, very likely in Upshur County, TX. Littleton M. and John B. Whisenant (see below) were children of Peter Whisenant of Habersham County, GA. Both were listed as Confederate Army veterans in the 1910 census, but I have not located records of Littleton's service. His age suggests that he likely served in State Troops or a Reserve unit. The couple listed no children born before the 1900 and 1910 censuses.
(3) SUSAN A. JENNINGS was born on 26 Jun 1839 in GA, died on 26 Sep 1905 in Purves, Erath County, TX, and was buried at Live Oak (New Dublin) Cemetery in Purves, according to her Erath County death certificate and her cemetery listing. She married John Bunyon WHISENANT [10 Jul 1839 - 29 May 1917; buried Live Oak] on 16 Jan 1862 in Habersham County, GA. The name of John's bride on that record is extremely difficult to read, but the first name is Susie, and I have no doubt that this is correct. Some Internet accounts list John's middle name as either Bunyon (the middle name on his tombstone) or Benjamin. One of these names is almost certainly a misreading of the other. While I have no proof of which one is correct, a misreading of the name or a misinterpretation of it as an abbreviation for Benjamin [see http://www.censustrail.com/ctrail/abbreviations.php] is the likely cause of the problem. John served in Co. H 24th Ga. Inf. Reg't in the Civil War, and received a Texas Confederate Pension in 1900, which states that he was born on 10 Jul 1838, although 4 census records are more consistent with 1839. Susan listed 5 of 7 children alive in 1900; Mary J<ane> and an unknown child were dead by 1900.
The children of Susan A. and John B. Whisenant were:
William Jasper 26 Jul 1863 1 Aug 1946
Adam Columbus 28 Jul 1866 7 Mar 1956
Mary J<ane> 18 May 1869 24 Nov 1887
<Lou> Ella R<oba> CHAMBERS 19 Jan 1872 20 Oct 1942
James Caufman 17 Jan 1874 19 Sep 1966
Henry Washington Ernest 8 Mar 1876 9 Jun 1961
unknown -- BEF 1900
William Jasper Whisenant was born on 26 Jul 1863 in GA, died on 1 Aug 1946 in San Saba, TX, and was buried at San Saba City Cemetery in San Saba County, TX, according to his San Saba County death certificate. He married Alice Lucinda BUTLER [5 Nov 1867 - 24 Sep 1952; buried San Saba City] on <3 Jan 1886> in Erath County, with the date and place listed on an Internet source, the "Whisnant Surname Center." I have not located the marriage record.
Adam Columbus Whisenant was born on 28 Jul 1866 in GA, died on 7 Mar 1956 in Brownfield, Terry County, TX, and was buried at Tatum Cemetery in Tatum, Lea County, NM, according to his Terry County death certificate. He married Lura Lee ANDERSON [18 Oct 1872 - 27 Feb 1968; buried Tatum] on 25 Nov 1894 in Erath County, TX.
Mary J<ane> Whisenant was born on 18 May 1869 in GA, died on 24 Nov 1887, and was buried at New Dublin (Live Oak) Cemetery in Erath County, TX, according to the cemetery listing (under her maiden name, which implies that she had not married). The 9 Dec 1886 marriage of M. J. Whisenant (female) to W. T. Greer in Comanche County, TX is very likely that of Manerva, daughter of Samuel Whisenant of Comanche County. The 1964 TX death certificate of John Thomas Greer lists his parents as W. T. Greer and Manerva Jane Whisenant of Comanche County.
<Lou> Ella R<oba> Whisenant was born on 19 Jan 1872 in TX, died on 20 Oct 1942 in Denton, Denton County, TX, and was buried at the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Denton County, TX, according to her Denton County death certificate. All records that I have seen called her Ella. She married Joseph Taylor CHAMBERS [17 Dec 1847 - 22 Apr 1930; buried Odd Fellows] on 28 Mar 1895 in Erath County, TX. He was a Confederate Army veteran [Co. C Thomas' N. C. Legion].
James Caufman Whisenant (middle name from a long article written by a granddaughter in the book "Terry County, Texas", which also has two photographs) was born in Upshur County, TX (from the death certificate of an infant daughter) on 17 Jan 1874 (according to a birthday story written by his sister-in-law in the Socorro (NM) El Defensor-Chieftain). He died on 19 Sep 1966 in Kersey, Weld County, CO, according to his obituaries in the Greeley (Colorado) Tribune and the Socorro El Defensor-Chieftain, and was buried at Green's Gap Cemetery in Catron County, NM, according to those obituaries. The former obituary also lists his date of birth as 17 Jan 1873, while his WWI draft card lists his date of birth as 7 Jan 1874. All 5 available censuses are more consistent with 1874, and I have adopted 17 Jan 1874 as his date of birth. He married Letha "Lethie" A. KNOX [4 Jan 1876 - 21 Jan 1964; buried Green's Gap] on 13 Sep 1896 in Erath County, TX. According to a granddaughter, her middle initial is not an abbreviation, but was a remnant of a childhood name (twin A) used to distinguish her from her twin sister, Lucy (twin B).
Henry Washington Ernest Whisenant was born on 8 Mar 1876 in TX, died on 9 Jun 1961 in Bridgeport, Wise County, TX, and was buried at Chandler Cemetery in Henderson County, TX, according to his Wise County death certificate. He married Joylette GRAHAM [6 Oct 1876 - 30 Oct 1945; buried Chandler] on 20 Oct 1901 in Comanche County, TX.
No further information is available about an unknown child who died before 1900.
(4) MARTHA J. JENNINGS was born on 31 Aug 1842 in GA and died on 30 Jun 1920 in an automobile accident in Keller, Tarrant County, TX, the latter information according to her Tarrant County death certificate, a brief report in the Fort Worth Standard Times on 3 Jul 1920, and her Texas Confederate pension. She was buried at New Dublin (Live Oak) Cemetery in Purves, Erath County, TX. The records conflict on the year of her birth. Her death certificate lists 31 Aug 1843, her tombstone lists 1843, while her pension application on 10 Jul 1899 states that she will be 57 years old in Aug 1899. The early census records are more consistent with 1842, and I have unfortunately been unable to locate her in the 1900, 1910, or 1920 censuses. I have chosen the pension application date. She married David S. MCCURDY [29 Dec 1838 - 16 Nov 1892; buried Live Oak] on 10 Oct 1874 in Camp County, TX, according to a compilation of that county's records. The pension application lists the marriage in Upshur County, TX (next to Camp) in 1864, although that date is overwritten on what might be 1874. The Jennings and McCurdy families were in Habersham County, GA in 1864. David McCurdy served in Co. H 24th Ga. Vol. Inf. in the Civil War from 1861 to 1865.
The known children of Martha J. and David S. McCurdy were:
James Acie 22 Mar 1873 19 Mar 1944
Mary Ellen CURRIER 7 Jun 1877 13 Mar 1922
Jennie Ann BURNETT 10 Apr 1880 31 Oct 1955
James Acie McCurdy was born on 22 Mar 1873 in TX, died on 19 Mar 1944 in Dublin, Erath County, TX, and was buried there at Purves Live Oak Cemetery, the latter information taken from his Erath County death certificate. The clerk who copied his WWI draft registration had an unusual way of forming numerals, which has led to his birth date being indexed as 23 Mar 1873, although a better interpretation would be 22 Mar. His death certificate lists 22 Mar 1874 as his birth date, while his cemetery listing has 22 Mar 1875. All of these dates are inconsistent with the date above for his parents' marriage, and I have been unable to determine which dates are in error. He married Cynthia "Cinnie" Mellie F. MUNCH [18 Aug 1886 - 1 Feb 1971; buried Purves Live Oak] on 21 Dec 1904 in Erath County, TX. Her first name and initial are from the 1900 Erath County census.
Mary Ellen "Ella" McCurdy was born on 7 Jun 1877 in TX, died in Fort Worth, Tarrant County, TX, on 13 Mar 1922, and was buried at Purves Live Oak Cemetery, according to her Tarrant County death certificate. This date of birth is not consistent with any of the 3 censuses in which she is listed, and it is possible that 1878 is correct. She married James Robert CURRIER [7 Dec 1873 - 13 Feb 1953; buried Purves Live Oak] on 8 Dec 1895 in Erath County, TX.
Jennie Ann McCurdy was born on 10 Apr 1880 in TX, died on 31 Oct 1955 in Dublin, Erath County, TX, and was buried there at Purves Live Oak Cemetery, according to her Erath County death certificate. She married William Calvin BURNETT [29 Jul 1879 - 25 Jan 1960; buried <Live Oak>] on 24 Dec 1896 in Erath County, TX.
(5) WILLIAM WASHINGTON JENNINGS was born on 26 Nov 1847 in GA, died on 19 Feb 1925 in Lamkin, Comanche County, TX, and was buried there at Toliver Cemetery, according to his Comanche County death certificate. He first married Mary Louisa McCurdy (sister to David - see above) [25 Feb 1845 - 22 Oct 1904; buried Toliver] on 25 Dec 1867 in Habersham County, GA. He next married Emily J. SHOCKLEY [1 Aug 1864 - 12 Aug 1937; buried in Hamilton, TX] on 10 Oct 1906 in Comanche County, according to Emily's Texas Confederate pension. William served in Co. B 1st Ga. Reserves Reg't during the Civil War, according to his Texas Confederate pension. Her pension application lists William's full name.
The children of William Washington and Mary Louisa Jennings were:
David Sanford 12 Apr 1869 21 Apr 1957
Willie [Missouri] CAMPBELL 23 Mar 1871 19 Nov 1897
Elzorah SCOTT 4 Nov 1873 30 Oct 1966
Albert Lester Leon 28 Oct 1883 18 Nov 1951
David Sanford Jennings was born on 12 Apr 1869 in Habersham County, GA, died on 21 Apr 1957 in Dallas, Dallas County, TX, and was buried at Cross Plains Cemetery in Callahan County, TX, according to his Dallas County death certificate. He was listed by his middle name in the 1870 census. He married Johnnie Lee GUYGER [7 Feb 1873 - 29 Dec 1954; buried Cross Plains] on 28 May 1901 in Comanche County, TX.
Willie [Missouri] Jennings was born on 23 Mar 1871 in GA, died on 19 Nov 1897, and was buried at Toliver Cemetery in Comanche County, TX, according to her cemetery listing. She married Mark Edward CAMPBELL [7 May 1873 - 7 May 1938; buried Pecos in Reeves County, TX] on 20 Feb 1895 in Comanche County, TX, according to Comanche County marriage records. The first name is given as Willie in the marriage and the cemetery records, but she is listed as Misouri in the 1880 Erath County TX census. I suspect that her given name was Missouri, called "Willie", but have no proof. Mark Campbell's WWI draft card was signed "Mark Edward Campbell", but some accounts on the Internet list his middle name as "Evan".
Elzorah "Zode" Jennings was born on 4 Nov 1873 in TX, died on 30 Oct 1966 in Comanche, Comanche County, TX, and was buried at Oakwood Cemetery in Comanche County, TX, according to her Comanche County death certificate. She married George Moses SCOTT [29 Jan 1868 - 8 Mar 1939; buried Oakwood] on 24 Dec 1893 in Comanche County, TX.
Albert Lester Leon Jennings was born on 28 Oct 1883 in Erath County, TX, died on 18 Nov 1951 in Comanche, Comanche County, TX, and was buried at Oakwood Cemetery in Comanche County, TX, according to his Comanche County death certificate. He never married.
(6) NANCY ELLEN JENNINGS was born on 6 Mar 1853 in GA, died on 14 Jul 1933 in Wilson, Comanche County, TX, and was buried at Purves Live Oak Cemetery in Erath County, according to her Comanche County death certificate. She married William Alonzo DEWEESE [15 Feb 1852 - 3 Jan 1925; buried Purves Live Oak] on 18 Dec 1878 in Erath County, TX, according to that county's marriage records. His middle name follows from "William A." in census records and "William Lonzo" in a son's death certificate. The 1900 census lists 3 of 4 children alive, which is consistent with the list below, but the 1910 census also lists 3 of 4 alive, which is inconsistent with the deaths of Luther and Alphia from diphtheria in 1906.
The children of Nancy Ellen and William Alonzo Deweese were:
Charles Roscoe 23 Oct 1879 16 Sep 1962
Murtie E. 14 Mar 1883 6 Dec 1886
Luther L. 18 Mar 1891 17 Sep 1906
Alphia C. 23 Feb 1896 21 Oct 1906
Charles Roscoe Deweese was born on 23 Oct 1879 in Erath County, TX, died on 16 Sep 1962 in Dublin, Erath County, TX, and was buried at Purves Live Oak Cemetery in Erath County, according to his Erath County death certificate and the cemetery listing. He married Mary Ellen DANIELS (her death certificate says DANIEL - both DANIEL and DANIELS families lived in Erath County) [5 Jan 1890 - 1 Feb 1934; buried Lockney Cemetery in Floyd County, TX] ABT 1907.
Murtie E. Deweese was born on 14 Mar 1883, died on 6 Dec 1886, and was buried at Purves Live Oak Cemetery, according to that cemetery's listings.
Luther L. Deweese was born on 18 Mar 1891 in TX, died on 17 Sep 1906 near Lamkin, Comanche County, TX, and was buried at Purves Live Oak Cemetery in Erath County, TX. His Comanche County death certificate infers a date of birth as 19 Mar, but the cemetery listing is for 18 Mar.
Alphia C. Deweese was born on 23 Feb 1896 in TX, died on 21 Oct 1906 near Lamkin, Comanche County, TX, and was buried at Purves Live Oak Cemetery in Erath County, TX, according to her Comanche County death certificate and cemetery listing.
If anyone spots errors or has missing information, I would be grateful if they would send me an email message.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|