ELIZABETH HAWKINS KEELING was born on 1 Apr 1811 in (almost certainly) Elbert County, Georgia. According to a family letter written by her nephew Thomas Madison Keeling, she died in either 1874 or 1875, and was buried at Carnes Creek Cemetery in Stephens County, GA. Her funeral was attended by Thomas, who was a child at the time. According to the same letter, she first married Jesse Jennings of Anderson District, SC (see msg # 836 for details), who was almost certainly the brother of Asa Jennings (see msg # 1138) who married Elizabeth's sister, Jane Spencer Keeling. The marriage likely took place ABT 1832, possibly in SC, but I have not been able to locate any document. She later married Brazill G. Addison in Habersham County, GA on 26 Nov 1846. His first name was written variously as Brazill, Brazeal, and Brazwell, while the letter mentioned above erroneously gives Brazill's name as Richard. According to the Christopher Addison bible, Brazill was born on 26 Apr 1824 and died on 22 May 1851; he had been a school teacher, according to the 1850 Franklin County GA census. The transcription of the bible (obtained by Bob Erwin from Mrs. Era Stinson of Bowling Green, KY) is listed in several places on the Internet, including the Addison Forum on this site.
The 2 known children of Jesse and Elizabeth Hawkins KEELING Jennings (both listed in the John Jennings will in 1840 - see msg # 836) are:
Asa M. ABT 1835 29 Sep 1862
Sarah E. ABT 1838 AFT 1880
The 3 known children of Brazill G. and Elizabeth Hawkins KEELING Addison (names and dates of birth listed in the General Marion Addison bible pages from the DAR Library - bible last known in the possession of Kitty ADDISON Campbell - thanks Lenora!) are:
Susannah Jane 30 Sep 1847 BEF 1860
Mary Casso HOLCOMB 19 Dec 1849 <24 Sep 1887>
Amanda Guest 22 Sep 1851 AFT 1862
I regret that my tables of dates here and below were mangled by GenForum's software - extra spaces are deleted and a variable-width font is standard, making a tabular arrangement impossible. Family names listed in caps in the tables are women's married names. Any information in angle brackets ("<...>", here or below) is from Internet or other sources that are difficult or impossible to confirm using documents. This device allows one to judge which information is fairly solid, although most information passed down through a family is expected to be reasonably accurate, even though the original sources (such as a family bible) may have been lost. Each of the 5 children in the tables above is numbered and listed below in caps, followed by the grandchildren in a table, followed by detailed listings. These five children of Elizabeth Hawkins Keeling were followed by seven known grandchildren.
(1) ASA M. JENNINGS was born ABT 1835 in GA and died of pulmonary tuberculosis on 29 Sep 1862 in Blacks and Whites VA (present-day Blackstone in Nottoway County), according to his Confederate military records. He was buried there in St. Luke's Episcopal Cemetery, according to the US GenWeb Archives. He had been serving in Co. H 24th Ga. Vol. Inf., together with most of the extended Keeling family of military age (George Washington Keeling was an officer in that unit). He married Nancy Whisenant in Habersham County on 7 Feb 1858. Nancy was listed as a widow in Franklin County in the 1863 Georgia Salt Records. I have not located her after that record. In 1870 Franklin County her son Henry (see below) was living next to Elizabeth Addison as a farm laborer with the James and Mariah WARD Richey family. In 1860 the latter family had lived next to Asa and Jane KEELING Jennings in Habersham County. In 1880 Henry was living in Erath County TX with Joseph Henry and Permelia COLLINS Whisenant as their grandson, implying that Nancy was their daughter. I have found no subsequent marriage for Nancy, and suspect that she died between 1863 and 1870, but have no proof.
Henry William Jennings was born in GA on 22 Mar 1859, died on 9 Dec 1941, and was buried at Forest Park Cemetery in Houston, according to his Harris County TX death certificate. He married Genevria (according to her death certificate) or Geneva (according to a son's death certificate) LANGSTON [8 Mar 1870 - 5 Nov 1956; buried Forest Park] on 31 Aug 1887 in Erath County, TX.
(2) SARAH E. JENNINGS was born ABT 1838 in GA. She was listed in the John Jennings will in 1840 (see msg # 836) as a child of Jesse Jennings (deceased). She was living in Franklin County GA with her mother and step-father in 1850. In 1860 she was living with her mother in Franklin County GA with the family name ADDISON (which I have assumed is a census error). In 1870 she was living with the George Washington Keeling family in Habersham County (her mother was living in Franklin County). In 1880 an unmarried S. E. Jennings born in GA was boarding with her cousin Lucy WARMACK Bailey in Nevada County AR. I have not been able to locate any record of her after 1880, and believe that it is likely that she died in Nevada County BEF 1900.
(3) SUSANNAH JANE ADDISON was born on 30 Sep 1847 in GA, according to the General Marion Addison bible, and likely died before 1860. She was listed in the 1850 Franklin County GA census, but I could not located her in 1860. She was not listed on 6 Oct 1862 in the Franklin County Probate Court record of Morgan Guest's appointment as guardian of Brazwell G. Addison's minor children: Mary C. Addison and Amanda G. Addison.
(4) MARY CASSO ADDISON was born on 19 Dec 1849 in GA, according to the General Marion Addison bible, died on <24 Sep 1887>, probably in Duluth, Gwinnett County, GA, where her youngest child was born. She married Ezekiel Holcomb [<29 Dec 1850> - <25 Aug 1887>] on 3 Sep 1870 in Franklin County GA. I have not located a cemetery record for either Holcomb. The exact dates of death listed on a number of Internet sites suggest a bible or other family record, which I have not seen. The family name Holcomb is often given as Holcombe. Most of the records and most family members in the Toccoa GA area today use Holcomb, as will I.
The known children of Ezekiel and Mary Casso ADDISON Holcomb were:
William Wade 28 Jun 1871 1 May 1948
<Amanda M.> <15 Sep 1873> BEF 1880
Odit 29 Nov 1878 4 Mar 1935
Annie C<ordelia> DAVIS 6 Jan 1881 29 Oct 1960
Lillie Mae ADAMS 31 Mar 1883 5 May 1972
Bertha E. DAVIS 12 May 1886 9 Sep 1949
William Wade Holcomb was born on 28 Jun 1871 in Habersham County, GA, died on 1 May 1948 in Toccoa, Stephens County, GA, and was buried at Toccoa Cemetery, according to his Toccoa Record obituary. No death certificate exists. He was single.
<Amanda M. Holcomb> was born on <15 Sep 1873>, according to Internet web sites. She does not appear in the 1880 census, and presumably died as an infant or child.
Odit Holcomb was born on 29 Nov 1878 in GA (according to his WWI draft card), died on 4 Mar 1935 (according to his Stephens County, GA death certificate and his Toccoa Record obituary), and was buried at Toccoa Cemetery. He married Lillie CARTER [11 Nov 1882 - 13 Aug 1964; buried Toccoa] on 1 May 1898 in Habersham County. The 1900 census lists her month of birth as Oct. They are listed in "The History of Stephens County, Georgia" by Kathryn Curtis Trogdon.
Annie C<ordelia> Holcomb was born on 6 Jan 1881 in GA, died on 29 Oct 1960, and was buried at Eastanollee Cemetery, according to her Stephens County GA death certificate. She married Asa Chandler DAVIS [12 May 1880 - 26 Jun 1964; buried Eastanollee] on 21 Oct 1900 in Habersham County.
Lillie Mae Holcomb was born 31 Mar 1883 in GA, died on 5 May 1972, and was buried at Carnes Creek Cemetery, according to her Stephens County GA death certificate. She married Dock L<ighue> ADAMS [30 Mar 1876 - 8 Aug 1962; buried Carnes Creek] on 14 Aug 1898 in Habersham County.
Bertha E. "Bertie" Holcomb was born 12 May 1886 in Duluth, Gwinnett County, GA (according to her Toccoa Record obituary and her Stephens County death certificate), died on 9 Sep 1949 in Toccoa, and was buried at Zebulon Baptist Church, according to her Stephens County death certificate. Her tombstone has the year of birth as 1884, while the 1900 census gives her name as Bertha and date of birth as May 1885. Given Lillie Mae's date of birth, 1884 is unlikely. She married John Adolphus "Dolphus" DAVIS [8 Feb 1885 - 20 Oct 1938; buried Zebulon] on 18 Oct 1907 in Stephens County GA. He was listed as Dolphus (or Dolphous) in two censuses, as Adolphus on Bertie's death certificate and her obituary and in William Wade Holcomb's obituary, and as John D. elsewhere. I have compromised on both names, putting the familiar forms in quotes.
(5) AMANDA GUEST ADDISON was born on 22 Sep 1851 in GA, according to the General Marion Addison bible, and likely died between 1862 and 1870. She was living in Franklin County GA in 1860 with her mother, was alive in 1862, but I could not locate her in 1870, nor could I find a marriage.
If anyone spots errors or has missing information (such as documentation for information in angle brackets), I would be grateful if they would send me an email message.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|