James Patrick KENNY was a priest in the Capuchin Friary in Dublin in 1821. As he considered converting to the "established church" (Church of Ireland), he was forceably taken to the Blackamoor Lane Friary in Cork. Upon threat of Habeas Corpus, he was released and fled to England. In 1822 he formally converted to the Church of England in St. Martin of the Fields, London.
In 1826 he married Alexvina GILMOUR (born 1800 in Scotland, probably raised in England) in St. Marylebone, London. James Patrick Kenny died in 1843 - perhaps in Canada. By 1851 his widow, Alexvina was back in England, but by 1855 she and her children were in the U.S.
The children of James Patrick Kenny & Alexvina Gilmour:
1) James E. KENNY/KENNEY - b. 1827. A minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, serving first in Glens Falls, NY and then in New York City. He and his wife Mary, had children: Minnie (a well-known inspirational author), Herbert, Edith and Eva. Rev. Kenney died in 1900 and is buried in Hillside Cemetery in Staten Island, NY.
2) Charlotte GREENLAW KENNY married Henry ACASTER BATEMAN and migrated from England to the US via Canada about 1849. She died in Glens Falls, NY in 1898.
3) Alexander J. KENNY was a music teacher in Richmond, Indiana at the time of the 1860 census. He died, unmarried, as a Lieutenant Colonel 8th Regiment, Indiana Vol. as a result of wounds received in battle at Cedar Creek, VA in 1864.
4) George Wink KENNY - b. abt. 1837 in Canada. He married Sarah NASON, died in 1871, and is buried in Glens Falls, NY.
5) Joseph James Spear KENNY - b. abt. 1839 in Canada. He died in 1854, location unknown. He was re-interred in Glens Falls after 1871.
Anyone familiar with any of these people?
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|