Beth, I found a listing of Captain George Lamberton's children in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Volume LXVIII, published in 1914, as follows:
1. Elizabeth, born abt 1632, died 1716, Married first Daniel Sellivant, 2nd William Trowbridge.
2. Hannah, born abt 1634, Married first Samuel Wells, second Capt. John Allyn
3. Hope, born abt 1636, married first ----- Herbert, second William Cheney. Hope had a daughter Abigail by her first husband. Abigail Herbert married John Clark.
4. Deliverance (the only son), born abt 1638. died after 1662, without children
5. Mercy, baptised 17 Jan 1640/41. Married Shubael Painter
6. Desire, baptised 14 Mar 1641/42, married Lt. Thomas Cooper Jr.
7. Obedience, baptised 9 Feb 1644/45, married Lt. Samuel Smith.
George was lost at sea in 1646, so all the children were very young.
It is interesting that Mary, first wife of Lt-Governor James Bishop has been rumored to be a daughter of Capt. Lamberton. The rumor is apparantly based on a passage in the trial of Mrs. Godman for witchcraft in 1653. I can't follow the language, but it does say that the trial record seems to indicate that 'Mrs. Bishop' was either the sister of Hannah Lamberton or of her mother Margaret Lamberton Goodyear. It is possible that the Mrs Bishop the trial refers to is the wife of James Bishop's brother, Henry. Henry's wife was named Patience, which certainly fits with the other Lamberton girls. But she was not included in the division of Lamberton property, which was divided among the six documented daughters when their mother died.
The above information in included in the secion of the NEHGR that covers the Painter family. It also says that more info on the Lamberton family is included in Volume 2, in the section on the Converse family. I don't have a copy of that... so it may help you more.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|