Oops! - it was a different LAMBERTON ship! It was;
"The "Lamberton," official number 56,680, is a. schooner-rigged iron screw steamer, built at Dundee in the year 1885, and of the following dimensions;-Length 95.2 feet, breadth 19 feet, and depth of hold 10 feet; gross 101.31 tons, and after deducting 74.14 tons for propelling and crew space, 27.17 tons register. She was fitted with two inverted compound engines of 45 horses power combined, equipped for trawling purposes, and registered under the "Sea Fisheries Act, 1868." She had two compasses, one on the bridge and another below, and they were last adjusted on 6th June 1891. She had one boat, sufficiently large to carry all the crew, which appears to have been carried jammed between the bulwark rail and the midship house, but had no means for putting her into the water excepting by a tackle from the mast or rigging.
She was not supplied with life-saving appliances, being exempted from these by registration under the "Sea Fisheries Act of 1868." She is owned by the General Steam Fishing Company, Limited, of 51, Frederick Street, Edinburgh, Mr. James Scott Granton being the manager.
The "Lamberton" was under the command of Mr. William Jarvie, and had a crew of seven hands all told. She had been engaged trawling on the fishing ground S.E. of May Island on the seventh October, and when finished there, proceeded towards Fidra to put the fish on board the receiving boat, this having been accomplished about 2.30 a.m. the following morning. The master told a deck hand (who it appeared from the evidence had only been in that capacity for six months) to go on the bridge and take the vessel out to the fishing ground, while he and the mate went aft to the quarter deck to repair the trawl net. "
However there were a number of wrecks just off Lamberton but usually in "English waters".
Reunion dates still stand!
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|