Any Lieb here related to Louie Lieb and Sophia Spielman? (See #5 below)
My connection is through Lulu Spielman, #8, who is my grandmother.
Date: 12/9/02 1:34:30 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: TOssmann@myfamily.com (T. Ossmann)
A Pioneer History of Pocahontas County, Iowa. (Robert Flickinger. The Times Print. Fonda, Iowa: 1904) p. 438
SPIELMAN, David (b. Aug. 28 1824), resident of Fonda and vicinity since 1870, is a native of Baden, Germany, and in 1848 came to Sullivan Co, N.Y., where he found employment as a carpenter.
In Dec. 1851, he married Dorothea Couch and five years later moved to Dubuque Co, Iowa, where he continued to work at his trade. In the fall of 1870 he located on a homestead of 80 acres on the s1/2 ne1/4 sec. 24, Cedar township, this county, improved and occupied it until 1880 when he sold it and bought the sw1/4 of sec. 19, Colfax township, 160 acres. On this farm he built a good house, barn and other outbuildings and occupied it until 1893, when he sold it, built a comfortable residence in Fonda, and moved to town.
In 1845 he entered the German army and spent four and one-half years in the military service of his country. This was the period of the rebellion in Baden, and he participated in thirteen battles.
He has been a good citizen and has raised a family of eight children, one having died in childhood and another at the age of twelve.
1. David (b. 1851), married Mary Jane (Reed) Wilbur, who in 1872 bought and still owns a farm of 80 acres on the w1/2 se1/4 sec. 25 Cedar township. He died in 1883 leaving one son, Carl Spielman, who in 1898 married Stella Reed, of the state of Washington, and lives in Fonda with his mother. The latter on coming to this country in 1872 taught school three years. She was first married to James M. Wilbur, and their family consisted of one son, Romeo Wilbur, who in 1870 came to the home of his uncle, B. F. Osburn, taught school several years at Pomeroy and vicinity and is now in Chicago.
2. Jacob (b. June 28, 1855, N.Y.), a mason and plasterer, resident of Fonda, in 1889 married nora May Sheriff and has a family of four children: Flossie, Virgil, David and Esther
3. Mary married R.B. Adams, drayman, lives at Cherokee and has a family of four children: Early, Hiram, Elizabeth and Maud.
4. Dora married Gustave Gottfried. (see Gottfried)
5. Sophia married Louie Lieb. (see Lieb)
6. Frederick (b. Aug. 22, 1864, Iowa), a drayman, married Alta Hardy and lives with his parents.
7. Elizabeth married William Wykoff, a plasterer, lives at Fonda and has four children: Roy, Madge, Harry and Vera.
8. Lulu, in 1898, married James H. Thompson, a carpenter, Fonda, and has one child. )
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|