Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Surnames: Loutzenhiser Family Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Jake Loutzenhiser
Posted by: Deborah Brownfield-Stanley (ID *****1616) Date: January 15, 2003 at 09:19:01
  of 65

Leon Reporter, Leon, Iowa
Thursday, December l3, l900

There have been so many conflicting accounts circulated about how DAVID GALPIN was shot, his friends want it told to the public as near as possible just as it occurred. In March, l900, MR. GALPIN came to Ravanna, bought property in town where he lived, and bought a farm 2 l/2 miles southeast of town and his son-in-law, HERBERT COZAD, lived on the farm. MR. GALPIN went to the farm every few days to help about the work. It was nearer to go on foot through the fields, and this way he crossed a small creek and some timber. He saw signs of game, brought traps and set them; then he would take his gun, go by his traps in the morning, work until tired and return home the same way. On the morning of November 29th, he asked several to go with him to his traps and have a hunt. Ernest Egleson, a boy about l2 years old, went with him. They had been to the traps and were on their way home and met two boys, one about l8 -- the other l5 years.

Following is the statement of Clarence Wordley:

"I am l8 years old the l5th of June, l90l. Me and my brother started hunting, to Jake Loutzenhiser's and asked him if we could kill some quails on his farm. He said we could. We went across his field to the back fence where there is some timber and brush and we met Uncle DAVE. I was trying to kill a quail for mother, but had not killed any, could not hit them on the wing. Uncle DAVE said: "Come and go back with me and I will kill one for you."

"We went over into Cooper's field to some corn shocks. The dog began to run around and Uncle DAVE said for me to watch. I was about 6 or 8 feet behind him. Two birds flew up and Uncle DAVE stepped to one side right in front of my gun and shot. I went to turn my gun and it was just half cocked. I turned quick and it went off. Uncle DAVE sat down and said: "You have shot me--did you shoot?" I said "no." He asked me how it happened and I told him. He said it was very bad but I could not help it and I was not to blame. Ernest and my brother run for some help. Uncle DAVE got up and walked to a shock of corn that lent over and sat down on it, and I sat down with him. He talked about all the time until they came with the wagon; then I went home. I have lived in Ravanna about three months. We moved from Gentry County, Mo., to Ravanna. My name is Clarence Wordley."

The following is a tribute to the worth and substantial character of the deceased by a number of his Decatur County friends and former neighbors, who have known him for about forty years.

DAVID E. GALPIN who, for 42 years, was a resident of Morgan Township, Decatur County, Iowa, was on Thanksgiving day, l900, about l0 o'clock a.m., fatally shot by the accidental discharge of a shotgun heavily loaded with shot, which was in the hands of a boy about l8 years of age, with whom he had been hunting quail. No one seems to know how the gun was discharged, but no blame is attached to the boy.

DAVE GALPIN, as everybody knew him, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, February 25, l846, and removed with his parents to Decatur County, Iowa, in l853, locating on the property owned by himself and parents until his removal to Ravanna, Mo., in last February.

At the outbreak of the Civil War in l86l he, at the age of l5 years, enlisted in the 3rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry, mounted, serving 3 years, at the time he re-enlisted as a veteran in the l3th Missouri Cavalry, serving until May, l866, when he was mustered out of service with his regiment, having served more than 4 years, never having left his regiment during all this Army service. After returning from the Army he came back to his old home to care for his parents, who were getting quite old and feeble. He remained single until l87l when he was joined in matrimony with MARGARET E. COMER, with whom he ever lived happily until his sad death. He left no children of his own.

D.E. GALPIN was one of the charter members of Jas. H. Rogers Post G.A.R. at Lineville, Iowa. When he fell mortally wounded he fell among friends and Army comrades at Ravanna, Mo. The Ravanna Post took charge of his remains and with highest military honors turned the body over to Jas. H. Rogers Post at Lineville, Iowa, who after religious services at the M.E. Church, conducted by Dr. E. Glendenning, took charge of the body and laid it away in its last resting place in Evergreen Cemetery at Lineville, Iowa, with all the honors of a soldier's burial. A tremendous concourse of people followed the remains to the grave.

D.E. GALPIN, during his long residence among us, was ever one of those men who never had an enemy, always a citizen that could be depended upon in any emergency. Having filled most of the offices within the gift of his township all of which were filled with wisdom and fidelity, no man could be missed more than he, and when he saw that death was near, called his surrounding friends and said, "Do not worry for me; all is well." He was conscious until the last breath.

MRS. D.E. GALPIN wishes to extend her heartfelt thanks to all comrades and friends who so kindly administered to them during her sore trial.



Copied by Nancee(McMurtrey)Seifert
"With permission from the Leon Journal Reporter"
January l4, 2003

Notify Administrator about this message?
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network