ASSOCIATED FAMILIES: LYMBURNER
Our Lymburners emigrated in 1767 from Kilmarnock, Scotland to Penobscot (now Brooksville) in Maine. The earliest records of our Lymburners in Scotland are at Kilmarnock in the western lowlands.
Matthew Senior and Margaret Lymburner, UEL
Matthew Sr, his wife Margaret, son Matthew Jr. and daughter Margaret took the sailing ship 'Glasgow' from Greenock on the Clyde arriving in Boston on May 29, 1767. They settled in the Penobscot Bay area in what is now the State of Maine. We know from his later claim that Matthew acquired about 150 acres of virgin land from which he created a farm, and another fifty acres of forest for wood and fuel. He also purchased rights to a mill. Matthew Sr.'s older brother John and his wife Jean joined them several years later. John brought his skills as a miller where his brother was settled as a farmer and miller.
When the War of the American Revolution broke out the brothers remained loyal to the crown. In July of 1779, a British military and naval station was established at Penobscot and Matthew Sr. joined the British serving as a guide. A rebel force of 2,600 in thirty seven ships, organized and financed by the breakaway state of Massachusetts, attacked the modestly defended outpost, besieging the half completed fort in July 1779. The Americans also scoured the countryside for food and supplies and took as prisoners those known to be Loyalists. Matthew Sr. was one taken during this siege and ‘cruelly treated' but later freed when the ship in which he had been held was driven ashore.
The siege of the new fort lasted about three weeks until three ships of the Royal Navy arrived. The resulting battle saw twenty-six rebel ships burned and eleven captured. The American force was overcome and the survivors had to find their way home overland to face shame and humiliation as a result of their defeat. The Americans did not come back to Penobscot during the remainder of the war, but came into possession of the area as a result of the peace negotiations and treaty of 1783 which established the new international boundary between the U.S. A. and British North America.
In October of 1783 Matthew Sr. decided to take his family to St. Andrews, Nova Scotia (now New Brunswick) with other Loyalists from the Penobscot area. John and his family stayed behind even though John was also a loyalist. Susan Paquette in her book suggests that due to John's age, 62, and health, he had been injured by a musket ball in the shoulder, the trip and the prospect of establishing a new home would have been too much. Records show that he did make a claim as a Loyalist.
Using big farm wagons, made as comfortable as possible and with Indian friends as guides Matthew Sr. and family made their way across country to St. Andrews on the British side of the St. Croix River, the new boundary. Matthew Sr. and his family settled again in a new land on a farm ten miles up the St. Croix River from St. Andrews. He also obtained a building lot in town. Matthew, as a loyalist was entitled, made his claim in Saint Andrews, for L395, and 14 shillings.
Matthew Sr. died there about 1794 as a result of a lumbering accident. In 1795 his lands were sold by his estate and his widow and several of their children moved to the Niagara area in Upper Canada. (Limeburner Lake in New Brunswick is named after Matthew Sr. in recognition of his loyalty). Matthew Sr. and Margaret had ten children:
Matthew Jr., born near Kilmarnock, Scotland 1765, married Rachel Young,
Margaret, born near Kilmarnock, Scotland 1766, married Nihemah Gilman,
John, born Penobscot, April 8, 1769, married Elizabeth Greenlaw,
James, born Penobscot, about 1773, died October 13, 1812 at the Battle of Queenston Heights, Upper Canada,
Elizabeth (Betsy), born before 1784, died about 1790 in New Brunswick,
Jenny, born before 1784, died August 31, 1792 in New Brunswick,
Nancy, born before 1784, Penobscot, married Andrew Clark,
Robert, born May 19, 1786 (twin), New Brunswick, married Margaret Melick,
William, born May 19, 1786 (twin), New Brunswick, married Nancy Tyler.
Matthew Junior and Rachel Lymburner
Matthew Jr had accompanied his parents from Penobscot, (Maine) to New Brunswick and had helped his father and mother get re-settled on another farm. In 1790, Matthew Jr. married Rachel Young and started a family. Rachel was of Loyalist blood having been born in Penobscot. Rachel's father was Sergeant Jacob Young of Rogers Rangers.
When Matthew Sr. died and his estate settled Matthew Jr., his brother John, their widowed mother, younger siblings, and their own families headed west to Upper Canada. Late in the fall of 1795 they left Saint John, New Brunswick and made their way by boat to Newark which is now called Niagara-on-the-Lake. The various members of the family obtained land grants as United Empire Loyalists while in Newark. The family, headed by the four brothers, Matthew, John, James and Alexander, found their way through the forest to settle in Caistor Township on the Chippawa River (now the Welland River). Just getting to their new home site would have been a challenge, first they would have gathered up all their possessions, acquired as much in the way of food, clothing, farming and home building supplies and livestock as they could afford before starting off. Following the River Road they would then follow the Portage Road to Chippawa. At Chippawa they turned west and using the river as a guide travelled up stream about sixty difficult miles. Caistor Township is south of Grimsby, Ontario.
The Lymburners built the first of several sawmills on the river in 1799, working together probably in partnership. Timber was cut, rafted down the rivers and onward to Kingston and other points for sale. The brothers and their children became traders and general merchandisers, selling and trading every thing from lumber, wool, salt, whisky, boats, coffins, etc. They were blacksmiths, agents, money lenders, the versatile local business people the community of those days needed. The small settlement (population of 156 in 1817) was forty difficult miles from the main settlements so the families made their own clothing, farming implements, and tools.
Matthew Jr., three of his brothers and several of their sons served with the 4th Lincoln Militia in the War of 1812. It appears that two of Matthew's brothers, Alexander and James were casualties of that war. Matthew Jr. died 22 December 1832 and was buried in a quiet place in the Lymburner Family Cemetery on the river, his wife Rachel died 5 July 1849 and was buried beside her husband.
Matthew Jr. and Rachel had ten children:
Matthew III, born in New Brunswick, 1791, married Marilda Merrit,
Christopher, born in New Brunswick, September 26, 1795, married Rebecca Melick,
Jacob, born Upper Canada, 1797, married Nancy Ann Ismond,
Michael, born Upper Canada, August 15, 1802, Married Jemima Merritt
Hiram, born Caister Township, February 27, 1804, married Sarah Lounsbury
Sarah, born Upper Canada, Sept 18, 1806, married George Johnson
William, born Upper Canada, 1808, married Lucinda Buck,
Robert Maitland, born Upper Canada, 1810, married Elizabeth Melick,
Caroline, born Upper Canada, Sept 16, 1812, married Henry Fonger, and
John Young, born Upper Canada, 1817, married Mary Carter Miller.
Hiram and Sarah Lymburner
Hiram, the fifth son of Mathew Jr. and Rachel married Sarah Lounsbury June 1, 1830. Hiram and Rachel farmed in the Smithville area of Caister Township. Hiram died November 29th, 1845, he and Sarah had eight children, all born in Caister Township, Lincoln County, Upper Canada:
Maretta, born February 26, 1831, married James Quinlin,
Townsend, born May 2, 1832, married Alice Stephens,
Elizabeth, born May 4, 1834,
Horace, born April 1, 1836, married Mary Electa Merritt,
Robert, born January 20, 1838, married Mary Kelsey,
Rachel, born April 10, 1840, married Nahum Swick,
Marilda, born July 1, 1842, married Joel Smith, and,
Arza, born October 19, 1844.
Horace and Mary Electa Lymburner
Horace was primarily a lumberman, but he was also a many faceted businessman. As family legend goes Horace had a lame arm and was initially trained as a school teacher, however he wanted to be like many others of the family and be in the lumber business. About 1860 Horace took an exploratory trip up to Owen Sound on the Bruce Peninsula to determine the business possibilities in that area of the province. He took the train to Collingwood but missed the steamer to Owen Sound and had to walk the entire distance. During that walk through dense bush and forest he assessed the timber possibilities, they had the potential he was seeking. Horace, his wife Mary Electa Merritt and their two boys, Hiram, two, and Robert, an infant in arms, arrived on the shore of Big Bay on April 30, 1863. Big Bay is in North Keppel, 18 miles north of Owen Sound, on Georgian Bay.
Horace built his first mill on the south shore of Colpoys Bay, west of Big Bay. Horace, a hard working and industrious, became the owner of a water powered mill, established a wagon and blacksmith shop, and acquired several farms in the area. In 1878 he subdivided part of his property in the small village of Big Bay and selling off several lots for the growing community.
By 1881 Horace's lumbering had pretty well used up the available sources of wood and it was now time to find a new location and a new source of raw material, timber. In June of 1881 Horace and his son Robert and several workmen landed on Dyer's Bay near Cabot Head on the north east corner of the Bruce Peninsula. They were timber cruising, as a result of a conversation Horace had had with the Captain of the steamer Jane Miller. Over the next few days Horace had found what he wanted, the potential for twenty five years of lumbering. The principal timber source was the forest around Gillies Lake, an elevated lake rising 200 feet above the escarpment. This lake, two miles by half a mile, with an abundance of timber such as pine, basswood, cedar and hemlock, within reasonable accessibility to the water was ideal for transportation of the raw logs but, being 200 feet above Georgian Bay presented some problems. Andrew Armitage, the noted Bruce County historian, has summed it up nicely
"Horace was a lumberman. He added it up. A lake that a small tug could steam across drawing down the cuttings from the rich mixed forest. An outlet from the lake close to the cliff where logs could be dropped to the beach below. A good head of water coming down the rock to power his saws. Space enough maybe for a mill pond, logger's chains and piles of timber. The waters of Georgian Bay for transport to markets south"
Horace, his sons and his employees moved their mill from Coploys Bay up to Dyer's Bay. They then set up the mill and worked out, over the next two or three years, the way to safely get the logs down the face of the escarpment to the mill. This mill, run by water power, took advantage of the significant drop of water from the elevated Gillies Lake, and Horace operated there for twenty four years, before selling. His was described as an efficient and thriftily operated organization.
Today very little is left of the mill and the activities on the bay. An historical marker stands on the road between Dyer's Bay and Cabot Head and a small lake, just to the north of Gillies Lake, up on the escarpment, is named ‘Lymburner' Lake. Modest memories of times past.
Horace and his sons were very good lumbermen and there are numerous articles about them. Horace also had many patents on different machinery for logging. It is interesting to note that no where in the source material have I found reference to Horace having a physical disability.
Horace and Mary Electa are buried in the Old Big Bay Cemetery in Keppel Township as well as some of their younger children who died from illness. Horace and Mary Electa had eleven children;
Hiram, born Caistor Township, about 1861, married Jane Mathewson,
Robert, born Caistor Township, 20 Jan 1863, married Ellsie Wallace,
Rachel, born Big Bay, about 1864, married William McPherson,
Arza, born North Keppel, 1867, married Maude McPherson,
Maretta, born North Keppel, about 1869, married Edward Riley,
Emma, born North Keppel,14 August 1881, married W. B. Moore, and
Five other children, Fralick, Horace, Willie, Carrie and Milton, all died young.
Arza and Maude Lymburner
Arza was a tugboat and dredge master and later, he and his wife owned and operated the Pacific Hotel in Wiarton. Arza married Maude McPherson, daughter of Captain and Mrs. Finlay McPherson, of Goderich in March of 1894. Arza was educated in North Keppel before working in the sawmill business. For about fifteen years, Arza was a tug boat mate and captain with the Canadian Dredging Company on the Great Lakes. Later he was the Dredge Master in Midland Harbour.
Arza as a hotel owner/keeper and operated hotels in Southampton, Port Elgin, Lion's Head and Wiarton. In Port Elgin he owned and operated the American Hotel and in Wiarton he owned and operated the Pacific Hotel. Arza and Maude had also at one time owned and operated Duffy's Hotel in Southampton.
March 7th, 1944, Arza and Maude celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in the middle of a big storm at their Pacific Hotel, Wiarton. Many of the 150 invited guests had arrived days before and stayed in the hotel for the festivities which came close to equalling their wedding. The newspaper article reporting the celebrations indicated that the celebrants were both in good health. It was also noted that he was an ardent fisherman and hunter, and it was one of his chief joys to get out into open country with rod and reel or shotgun, accompanied by his life-long pal, Captain William Tyson. Arza was also a member of the Masons for over fifty years.
Their sons were also active sailors and businessmen. Charles became a marine engineer in the lakers and served as a Chief Engineering Artificer during World War II, serving during that time for a period on HMCS Haida. Morley became a pharmacist but worked primarily in the hotel business with his father. After Arza's death in 1948, Morley took over the family hotels.
Arza and Maude had five children all born in the Lion's Head area;
Finley Horace, born June 27, 1896, died May 8, 1958, married Thelma Douglas;
Merrit, born 1898, died in 1900 of whooping cough,
Morley Stuart, born March 24,1900, died November 1969,
Kenneth Moore, born October 29, 1903, married Kathleen (Kay) Iola McCoy,
Charles M, born September 24, 1905, married Helen Emily Porter, died November 1980.
In 1903 Arza and Maude legally adopted a daughter, Ida Baker at age 12. Ida had run away from her family home in Lion's Head because her father had been abusive towards her. Ida was born in 1891, and died in 1972. After the parents died, she lived with her brother, Morley until his death.
Finley Horace Lymburner
Arza and Maude's oldest son, Finley joined the Royal Canadian Navy during World War I serving as an officer. He sailed for several years on the minesweeping trawler T.R. 12. This trawler, one of about 45 of the large minesweeping trawlers in the navy, had been built in Collingwood and sailed around to Halifax by Finley. Finley, as a mate in the R.C.N.V.R. continued on as an officer of that trawler which was assigned to sweep between New York and Norfolk Virginia gathering up the mines that had been laid by German submarines. In December 1918, by that time a Lieutenant, he was home on a month's sick leave with his parents. He was recovering from the effects of influenza and pneumonia.
Finley had been born in Lions Head but was raised in the Port Elgin and Southampton area. He was attending Queens University when he left to join the Navy. After the war, Finlay sailed on the Great Lakes, his nickname was "Captain". In the early 1930's he went to work for Inco where he became a senior executive, and worked there until he died at age 62.
Finley always loved sports, played golf and coached Lions Junior Hockey teams. He was an excellent bridge player and gave lessons. He also loved fishing with his family and his father. He is remembered as a loving, caring husband and father with a great sense of humour, and he left many happy memories. Finley married Thelma Douglas July 29th, 1926 in Fonthill, Ontario, they has two daughters, both born in Welland, Ontario:
Beverley June, born January 28, 1928, married James Giraytys, and,
Gay Louise, Born July 2, 1930, married (1) Frank Kennerly, and (2) Arnott Wilson.
KENNETH AND KATHLEEN LYMBURNER
Kenneth (Ken) was born in Lion's Head in October, 1903. As a boy he had more than his fair share of medical and health problems. Ken developed what is called a "heart murmur" after his childhood bout of scarlet fever. Ken was keen on sailing and ships and as a teenager shipped out as a cabin boy. His travels in the merchant marine and particularly on lakers took him around the Great Lakes and occasionally abroad. He qualified for an Inland Master's ticket but generally sailed as the Second Mate. The Second was the ship's navigator. He had also served as either the Master or the First Mate on several ships. One season he was the captain of the Pelee Island ferry, a post he found terribly boring and frustrating. When the second war came, because of his health he was not able to join the forces as his brother Charles had. He became the regional sales representative for National Brewers, the brewers of the very well known beers, Black Horse Ale, Dow Ale and Frontenac Lager. Ken was known to enjoy ale and lager and no doubt this job was much to his liking. Ken was also involved in a variety of other business activities, he worked with his father and Uncle Morley at the hotel. The family moved to Tobermory where Ken and his brother-in-law, Bill Ross, owned and operated the Peninsula Supply. At that time, the business was primarily intended to service the large fishing fleet which operated out of Tobermory. With the advent of the Lamprey eel into the Great Lakes, their business was unable to support two families and Ken opened a furniture business in Wiarton. Kenneth and Kathleen have five children:
Kenneth Michael, born Wiarton, Ontario, January 1941, married Mary Anne Sawks,
William Ross (Pat), born Owen Sound, Ontario, April 14, 1944
Nancy Arlene, born Wiarton, Ontario, July 11, 1946
Anna Marie Josephine Therese, and Morley Stuart, twins,
born Wiarton, October 8, 1949
WILLIAM ROSS LYMBURNER
Pat has had a career in law enforcement. While he was born in Owen Sound in the Bruce Peninsula of Ontario, he lived as a boy in Tobermory and later in Wiarton. Pat was educated at the local public school and Wiarton District High School. In 1963 when he was 18, Pat entered the Police Cadet program of the Metropolitan Toronto Police. Pat was educated by the Police Department in Police Science at the C.O. Bick Police College, the Ontario Police College and the Canadian Police College.
Pat worked as a uniform officer until 1969 when he became an undercover operative working the downtown area. He became a specialist in the apprehension of pickpockets and later drug traffickers. Pat was promoted Detective Constable in 1973 and assigned to the Motorcycle Gangs Unit. During the period from 1970 to 1974 Pat found the time to attend Ryerson Polytechnical and graduated with a diploma in Police and Correctional Administration.
In 1974 Pat was made responsible for setting up a divisional fraud investigation unit at #55 Division, the huge downtown Toronto police division, until he was promoted Sergeant in 1975. In 1976, Pat was moved to the Intelligence Bureau's Economic Crime Intelligence Unit where he stayed until reassignment to the Headquarters Fraud Unit to work on major fraud investigations. In 1983 Pat received the Canadian Police Exemplary Service Medal. This medal was awarded to Pat for having completed twenty years of exemplary service as a full time police officer.
After his retirement from the Metropolitan Toronto Police in 1988, Pat joined the Investigations Branch of the Ministry of Financial Institutions, Province of Ontario, as the Manager of Special Projects. Pat worked on major cases involving the loans and trust, mortgage brokering, and insurance businesses for that government regulatory ministry function.
In 1988, Pat had also formed Gaderian Incorporated as a means to market a number of computer programs he had developed and written. Pat states that "this company was the means for me to pursue a longtime goal, that of one of the first ‘virtual' companies. Making use of the Internet, digital PCS and other electronic devices we were able to have staff working all across Canada without enduring the high cost of renting premium office space." After leaving the Provincial Government, Pat joined with a professional forensic accounting partnership and pursued this objective and later would take Gaderian out on its own. In the interval between 1988 and 1995 Pat had also achieved a significant personal professional qualification, he became a "Certified Forensic Examiner", an accounting designation held in high esteem.
In spite of an active and demanding professional career, Pat makes time for sailing with the Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club, in the Toronto Beaches. Pat has shared many of the club executive responsibilities having been Rear Commodore and was also the secretary of the "Performance Handicap Racing Fleet". He and Jackie have their own sail boat and both enjoy the rigours and challenges of a good race. He was a father before he was 21 and a grandfather before he was 50 and relishes the time he spends with his children and grandchildren.
William Ross (Pat) married (1) Grace Philip, they have two daughters;
Artena Margaret, born Toronto 13 September 1965, married Michael David Andrew Mildon, and,
Esther-Jane, born Toronto 28 February 1968, married Maurizio Anthony De Lapa;
and (2) Jacqueline Czukar, they have two sons;
Cameron Patrick, born Toronto, December 25, 1985, and
Matthew, born Toronto, May 1987
MORLEY and MARY LYMBURNER
Morley and Mary are magazine publishers. After starting out in the newspaper business Morley took an eighteen year break for a police career before he and Mary created the Blue Line Magazine. Blue Line is dedicated to the Canadian law enforcement community with the intention of being a single source professional information resource.
Morley and Mary brought to the magazine some very special strengths, Morley's police background, his newspaper experience and Mary's extensive teaching and marketing experience. They had recognized a specific need in the police community and saw the magazine as a unique opportunity. It has provided they both with a challenge and a rewarding career.
As a policeman Morley has been recognized for his achievements and like his brother Pat, is also the recipient of the Canadian Police Exemplary Service Medal. He has also had extensive training at the Ontario Police College, University of Waterloo and the Canadian Police College. Morley specialized during his police service with the Metropolitan Toronto Police as an accident reconstructionist, as a breathalyser technician, and as a training officer.
Mary has three university degrees, a BA from the University of Manitoba, a BEd an MEd from the University of Toronto. In addition to her teaching career, for over ten years, Mary owned and operated a book store in Markham, Ontario.
Morley and Mary were married in Steinbach, Manitoba in 1976 and are the parents of two daughters:
Kathryn Marie, born Scarborough, Ontario, December 8, 1981, and
Elizabeth Jolene, born Scarborough, Ontario, November 21, 1985.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|