Selma - Regarding your search for John Linam's ancestors, I can provide the following:
John Linam was the youngest son of Thomas Linam and Elenor "Nelly" Wadlington. Thomas was born about 1774, according to census, place unknown. Elenor was born 20 June 1776 in South Carolina. They were married about 1796/97. Thomas served in the War of 1812. I have no information on where or when they died although a family tradition suggests that Thomas died in a ship fire in Port Lavaca, TX.
Thomas & Elenor had at least six children: James W. Linam (b. 18 July 1798 in SC), William Linam (B. 11 Aug 1800 in SC), two daughters, most likely but not conclusively Catherine & Martha (dob unk), Thomas Linam (dob unk), and John Linam (b. 10 Jan 1814 in TN or SC).
Thomas Linam, the elder, was the first child of George Linam, a Revolutionary War soldier, and Mary Hodges. George was born about 1746, possibly in Maryland or Delaware (this is stated in a DAR proof, but I've never found anything to substantiate it). He, Mary & son Thomas were in SC by 1778, when he served in Brandon's regiment in the Revolution. After the war, he established a plantation on the Tyger River in what is now Union County. He died in 1815, and Mary died about 1825/26.
George & Mary had seven children. Thomas, Frances, Sarah, Charles, John Hodges, William & Elizabeth. Family lore indicates that George was from England, but there is no conclusive link to the English Linams.
Regarding your comments on John & Mary and their descendants, I have the following comments and questions:
1. I do not have John's middle name of "Thomas" in my records. Do you have any documentation to support this. Thomas is a family name, so I'm not surprised.
2. I do not have John's birthplace. Do you have any documentation on Mississippi?
3. I have Jesse Adcock Linam, b. 3 Oct 1843 in Trigg County, Ky, rather than MS.
4. I have Susan C. Linam, b. 13 May 1846, in MS.
5. I have John "Buford" vice John "Beauford" and his wife Eliza Walton Cravy (vice Garvey).
6. I have Mary C. Linam born 29 Mar 1850 as you do, but the 1860 census lists her as the youngest with a birthdate of 1856.
7. I have Wade Hampton Linam married to Theodoci (Theo) Smith, vice Theodorie.
8. I have James Linam's death on 29 Oct 1854.
9. I have nine children for Tump & Theodoci. In addition to the four you named, I have the following:
5. Thomas Wade Linam, b. 3 Dec 1882 in Robertson, TX.
6. Frank Joseph Linam, b. 14 Oct 1884, d. 31 Aug 1948 in Robertson, TX.
7. Jennie J. Linam, b. 1888, d. 21 Apr 1963 in Waco.
8. Sam Dodwin Linam, b. 9 Aug 1893, d. 17 Apr 1949 in Waco.
9. Nannie Linam, m. a Parker.
In response to your question about Jennie, I have her married to Arthur A. Brown (1879-1964).
Hope this helps. Glad to exchange further information with you and hopefully nail down some loose ends.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|