I probably see the same Mt Vernon news articles for Hardin Mahaffey as you. The latest one Iíve have is a June 1907 line that reads:
ď-Hardin Mahaffey has returned
to Atlanta, Ga., to take his old position back again as brakeman on the A. K. &
Also note a line that says he is recovering from typhoid fever in Jan 1907. I do find birth of daughter, Joyce, on 8 May 1912 in Rockcastle County; then find that his wife, Fannie Argenbright has remarried to Alfred B Brown and is living in Hamilton County Ohio in the 1930 census with daughter, Joyce Mahaffey in the house hold. I also show Fannie died about 1966 and is buried in the Bales Cemetery at Livingston. She Hardin had at least three other children; (1) William R, born Aug 1897; (2) Oscar, born Dec 1898; and (3) Mary C, born Sep 1900. I havenít found anything for the first three children.
For Laura, daughter of James and Sarah Durham Mahaffey born 1888 Rockcastle and married Unknown Etter, I show a son Gaylen Etter born 26 Jul 1913 Rockcastle and show a Laura Etter born 1888 KY died Jan 1976 in Kern County, CA. The children I show for James and Sarah Mahaffey are:
1. John W, born 1871 Laurel County, died 1875 Rockcastle caused by Diphtheria.
2. Hardin, born 1872 KY, no death date married Fannie Argenbright 9 May 1895 in Rockcastle.
3. Lousia, born 1873 Rockcastle, died 5 Jun 1942 Rockcastle, married George McCormack on 12 May 1889 Rockcastle.
4. William H, born 1874 Rockcastle, 1950 in Whitley County, married Rosetta Garrett 1896 in Rockcastle.
5. Mary A, born abt 1876; died abt 1909 probably Tennessee, married Samuel McDaniel 1892 in Roane County, TN.
6. Nancy Jane, born 1878 Rockcastle, died 1957 Rockcastle, married (1) William Pannel 1896 Rockcastle; (2) Simon Parker 1900 in Rockcastle.
7. Carter, born Jan 1880, died 1978 Mercer County. No other info for Carter.
8. Sarah Ann, born Jan 1884 Rockcastle, no other info.
9. James W, born 1886 Rockcastle, died 1974 Rockcastle, married Bessie Thomas about 1904 Rockcastle.
10. Laura, born 1888 Rockcastle, married unknown Etter, other info shown above.
The 1900 census shows Sarah Durham Mahaffey as mother of 11 children with 9 surviving. That would seem to indicate that one unknown child died young, however, I would like to offer another possibility that 10 children are living in 1900. The household next to James and Sarah Mahaffey in the 1900 census is that of Samuel Spivey and wife, Clisty, born May 1882 KY. Clisty is Clista Mahaffey born 19 Sep 1881 (SS date) and married Samuel Spivey 10 Sep 1896 Rockcastle. I believe Clista is a child of James and Sarah Durham Mahaffey. Clista died 27 Apr 1967 Rockcastle and was the Mother of 16 children, all born Rockcastle. Clista is buried in Bales Cemetery at Livingston. It appears that sometime after 1930, the family moved to Montgomery County OH where Samuel Spivey died in 1940 and I guess Clista moved back to Rockcastle.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|