H.A. Carlisle author of The History of Lowndesville, SC writes: Chapter 68, pp 211
John Anderson Mecklin who lived in Lowndesville in 1840 was a son of Hugh Mecklin who was born in 1764. Hugh Mecklin first married Nancy Anderson in 1785. Children from this marriage were:
1. Nancy Mecklin, born Oct. 1786, married Mr. Trimble (Joseph Trimble)
2. Anna Mecklin, born Nov. 1788, married Jonathan Johnson
3. Margaret Mecklin, born April 1791, married John T. Ward.
4. Martha Mecklin, born Jan 1794,
5. Robert Mecklin, born Aug. 1796.
Hugh Mecklin married second Eleanor Pickens. They had the following children:
6. Elizabeth Mecklin, born Oct. 1803, married Robert Hutchison.
7. John Anderson Mecklin, born Feb. 1805, married Elizabeth Allen Simpson.
8. Andrew Pickens Mecklin, born Dec. 1806, married Ann W. Simpson.
9. David Oswald Mecklin, born Dec. 1808, married Elizabeth Caldwell.
10. Sarah L. Mecklin, born Feb. 1811, married I.T. Tower
11. Mary E. Mecklin, born Jan. 1813
12. James G. Mecklin, born Oct. 1814, married Ann Ritchie.
13. Minerva Mecklin, born Aug. 1816, married Louis Christopher.
John Anderson Mecklin, born 1805, died 1881. Married 1824, Elizabeth Allen Simpson, born 1806, died 1880. She was a sister of Maria Remer Simpson, wife of Matthew Young.
While living in Lowndesville several children were born to John A. and Elizabeth Mecklin. He was operating a tannery here when they moved to Pickens County, Ala. In1843. After a year there he moved his family to Choctaw County, Miss. There he farmed and opened a tannery which proved very successful.
When Providence Presbyterian Church was organized in Lowndesville in 1842, John A. Mecklin was selected as an elder. His brother-in-law, Matthew Young was selected as a deacon.
After arrival in Choctaw County, John Mecklin and Matthew Young, along with four other South Carolina families, on the second Sabbath of October, 1846, at Mecklin’s Tanyard, organized Popular Creek Presbyterian Church.
Note: Max Perry, 2000 Harvard Street, Midland, TX 79701, in his book “The Descendents of Simpson-Roach Families of South Carolina covers in detail the family of John A. Mecklin.
CHAPTER 60, pp 199
Robert Hutchison, born Dec. 2, 1805, died Sept. 24, 1882. Buried at Providence. Married first March 19, 1828, Elizabeth Mecklin, born Oct. 7, 1803, daughter of Hugh Mecklin, Sr. and Eleanor Pickens.
My line is Anne MECKLIN m. Jonathan JOHNSON – should anyone have further information, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|