If you and I along with anyone else in the line of McMackin could unravel all this, it would be wonderful ! John and I both have Rogers and McMakins/McMackins in our lines. Unknown if our Rogers and McMackins are related, but my guess is there is a good chance they are. My Rogers were in Montgomery Co. NC up by Rowan Co. NC before they then moved to Carroll Co. TN John Thomas has a JONES ROGERS who lived in Carroll Co. TN also,after he had moved there from Hickman Co. TN.
My line of Rogers in Carroll Co. TN is out of my GGG Grandfather, WILLIAM L. ROGERS b. 1770 Montgomery Co. NC ( s/o James Rogers, Jr. b. abt. 1746 Anson Co. NC ) who moved from Montgomery Co. NC where the Rogers lived along Long Creek up by the Rowan Co. NC border in 1823. ( Their First land entries were in 1779 for lands along Long Creek, Riles Creek, and Curl Tail Creek in Montgomery Co. NC when James Rogers entered his land there ). James Rogers, Jr.'s 2nd son was William L. Rogers who sold his lands in Montgomery Co. NC on Feb. 18, 1823 to Mathias Barringer, and William L. Rogers and his wife and their 11 children and their extended families moved to Carroll Co. TN with many other NC families ( Greens, McMackins, Cox, Coopers, etc. all out of Montgomery Co. or surrounding areas in NC. )
William L. Rogers and wife Nancy had their last child JOSHUA A. G. ROGERS b. 1821 in North Carolina before they moved to TN. JOSHUA A. G. ROGERS married SUSAN MCMACKIN b. 1822 and they married in Carroll Co. TN. Most believe that SUSAN MCMACKIN is the daughter of ANDREW MCMACKIN, but so far I don't think there is definite proof of that. Our other Rogers connections to the McMackin lines are through Joshua A. G. Rogers niece, MINTER LEE ROGERS ( d/o Basil Rogers b. 1794 older brother of Joshua A. G. Rogers b. 1821 NC ). MINTER LEE ROGERS married DAVID MCMACKIN the son of James Alexander McMackin b. 1791 and Elizabeth Frick b. 1795. After Minter Lee Rogers McMackin died David McMackin then married Sarah E. Driver. Here is what our ROGERS/McMACKINS genealogy looks like. If anyone knows more about Susan McMackin and whether she might be the daughter of Andrew McMackin please contact me or post it here. Tina Rogers Beller firstname.lastname@example.org
Descendants of James McMackin
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES1 MCMACKIN He married BARBARA MYERS ( MOYERS ). She was born Abt. 1750 in Gross, Sachsenheim, Wurttemberg, Germany.
Notes for JAMES MCMACKIN:
Per Richard Philips listing of James McMackin he was born before 1755 in Rowan Co. NC and died after March 11, 1822 in Carroll Co. TN. His father is listed as Andrew McMackin b. abt. 1727 in Rowan Co. NC and James McMackin had married on August 31, 1769 in Rowan Co. NC to a Barbara Myers b. abt. 1750 in Gross, Sachsenheim, Wurttemberg, Germany ( others listed her mother born in 1717 ( Rowan Co. NC ) but Rowan Co. NC was not even a county then, just a large territory and was under the jurisdiction of New Hanover, Co. NC in 1717. We know that JOHN ROGERS, the ULSTER-SCOT is said to have been the first white settler in that region of NC in 1732, as it was inhabited then by Indians. John Rogers/Rodgers settled on Back Creek at Junction of Rocky River in what is today CABARRUS CO. NC and had been a part of the same vast territory as Rowan Co. NC in 1717. Cabarrus Co. NC was formed from MECKLENBURG CO. NC.
Notes for BARBARA MYERS ( MOYERS ):
Per Ernest Stander on Barbara Moyers
Stander listed Barbara MOYERS ( Myers ) born abt. 1775 but per the info on this Barbara Myers by others she is listed being born about 1750 in Gross, Sachsenheim, Wurttemberg, Germany and wass the daugther of Johann Michael MOYERS and wife MARY GARRETT b. abt. 1717 in Rowan Co. NC. So hard to believe that BARBARA MYERS was born in Germany and if her mom was born in Rowan Co. NC perhaps she was as well. Her father Johann Michael Moyers was perhaps born in Germany and his parents were listed as Hans Geroge Meyer b. Oct. 1674 in Grossachsenheim, Wurttemberg, Germany and BARBARA UNKNOWN. More research is needed in Rowan Co. NC to determine the birth places of the Meyers, Myers, or Moyers lines.
Child of JAMES MCMACKIN and BARBARA ) is:
2. i. JAMES ALEXANDER2 MCMACKIN, b. April 09, 1791, Rowan County, North Carolina.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES ALEXANDER2 MCMACKIN (JAMES1) was born April 09, 1791 in Rowan County, North Carolina. He married ELIZABETH FRICK, daughter of JACOB FRICKS and EVA EARNHART. She was born August 24, 1795.
Children of JAMES MCMACKIN and ELIZABETH FRICK are:
i. BARBARA3 MCMACKIN, b. September 16, 1819, Rowan County, North Carolina.
3. ii. DAVID MCMACKIN, b. February 14, 1821, Carroll County, Tennessee; d. July 21, 1891, Carroll County, Tennessee.
iii. JAMES MCMACKIN, b. July 07, 1825, Carroll County, Tennessee.
iv. CALEB ALEXANDER MCMACKIN, b. January 27, 1830, Carroll County, Tennessee.
Generation No. 3
3. DAVID3 MCMACKIN (JAMES ALEXANDER2, JAMES1) was born February 14, 1821 in Carroll County, Tennessee, and died July 21, 1891 in Carroll County, Tennessee. He married (1) MINTER LEE ROGERS 1844 in Carroll County Tennessee, daughter of BASIL ROGERS and REBECCA UNKNOWN. She was born Unknown. He married (2) SARAH E. DRIVER September 11, 1860, daughter of WILLIAM DRIVER. She was born June 20, 1834 in North Carolina.
Children of DAVID MCMACKIN and MINTER ROGERS are:
i. JAMES WILLIAM4 MCMACKIN.
ii. NANCY ELIZABETH MCMACKIN, b. 1849.
iii. ELI A. MCMACKIN.
iv. MARY A. MCMACKIN, b. Abt. 1840.
Descendants of Joshua A. G. Rogers
Generation No. 1
1. JOSHUA A. G.4 ROGERS (WILLIAM3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born 1821 in North Carolina, and died March 07, 1877 in Carroll Co. TN. He married SUSAN MCMACKIN December 27, 1847 in Carroll County, Tennessee. She was born Abt. 1822 in Tennessee.
Notes for JOSHUA A. G. ROGERS:
Per 1850 Carroll Co. TN Census - District #17 ( by Hurt ) Image 282/311 Ancestry.com :
Household # 1897 Joshua A. Rogers 29 NC
Susannah 26 NC
James H. 9 NC *
William D. 7 NC *
Green C. 5 NC *
Nancy Rogers 75 NC +
Nancy G. Rogers 31 NC +
Newton Swayne 15 TN +
* I believe that the 1850 Census is in error as the handwriting by Hurt clearly shows that James H. Rogers, William D. Rogers, and Green C. Rogers were born in NC, and we know that Joshua A. G. Rogers ( father of these children ) was born in 1821 NC but moved with his parents, William and Nancy Rogers from Montgomery Co. NC to Carroll Co. TN by Dec. 1823. Willliam Rogers sold his lands in Montgomery Co. NC on Feb. 18, 1823 to Mathias Barringer, and the family is next found on Court Records beginning about Nov. - Dec. 1823 in Carroll Co. TN. Joshua Rogers was then a baby of about 2 when the Rogers moved to Carroll Co. TN, and so his children were most likely all born in TN.
+ These are others who lived with Joshua A. G. Rogers and his wife, Susannah McMackins Rogers in 1850. Nancy Rogers, age 75 is mother of Joshua A. G. Rogers, as her husband William Rogers died in 1842 she eventually lived with Joshua; Nancy G. Rogers is the sister of Joshua A. G. Rogers; and Newton Swayne is someone whom Nancy Rogers went to court to have live with her.
Carroll Co. TN Court Minutes July Term 1850 :
This day came Nancy Rogers into Court and therupon the Court proceeded to bind out Newton Swyne to the said Nancy Rogers until he shall arrive as the age of twenty-one years. Whereupon the said Nancy Rogers entered into indentures with the Chairman of this Court as the law requires & c. ( Newton Swayne ) Oct. 2002 - Tina Rogers Beller.
CARROLL COUNTY WILLS, OCCUPANT, GRANTS, & SURVEY:
# Name Ent. No. R. S. Acres
394 Rogers, Joshua A. G. 2327-1470
2461- 801 140
Per Sherlene Rogers Baab:
Joshua A. G. Rogers ( A. G. Aron Green ? ) born 1821 in Montgomery Co. NC died 7 March 1877 Carroll Co. Tn married Susanna McMakin 27 Dec 1838 in Carroll Co. TN. Her family also came from Montgomery Co. NC.
Per Cathy Hilliard Hoover: Joshua G. Rogers b. abt. 1820 North Carolina. He married Susan McMackin Dec. 27, 1847 in Huntingdon, Carroll Co. TN. She was b. abt. 1822 in Tennessee. They had the following children:
James Rogers b. Abt. 1841
William Rogers b. Abt. 1843
Green Roger b. Abt. 1845
Nancy Rogers b. Abt. 1847
Josuah Rogers b. Abt. 1851
1870 Carroll Co. TN Census : 17th District
9 Joshua Rogers age 49 M W Farming 1000 1000 N. C.
Susanna Rogers age 46 F W KH TN.
Franklin Rogers age 19 M W FH TN
Nancy Rogers age 57 F W N. C. ( believed to be Joshua's sister ) *
Robert Gibson age 18 M B FH TN
* Nancy Rogers was also the name of Joshua A. G. Rogers mother and she was b. 1775 NC. Her husband and father of Joshua was William Rogers b. 1770 NC and died February 1842 in Carroll Co. TN. Nancy Rogers lived with her son, I believe, until she died March 24, 1860. Nancy, William, Joshua A. G., Susanna are all buried along with Basil & Rebecca Rogers, and Eziekiel Rogers in the Old Pisgah Methodist Episcopal Cemetery in Carroll Co. TN. I believe that Nancy Rogers sister of Joshua's died not long after he had writen his nephews in Boone Co. AR in 1875.
Hollow Rock, Carroll County, Tennessee
Hollow Rock was named for the huge hollow rock that lies in a park north of the railroad yard. Sandy Bridge was established about 1830 with a post office and a log inn on the Memphis to Bristol Stage Road at the intersection of the Paris Road near the Prospect Baptist Church. Zephaniah Harris was inn keeper and postmaster. At this time, the bridge across the Sandy River was used by settlers coming from Reynoldsburg ferry.
In 1867, the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad was completed and a station and telegraph office was built. The railroad station was built on land owned by Andrew and Lucinda McMakins. N.B. Lipe bought the first lot. On February 3, 1869 the town was Chartered. Rufe McClain was the first depot agent. A newspaper called The Record ran for some time.
Lankford, Amanda and Jim Lankford came to the 9th district about the time of the Civil War. Their son Will started a country store about 1890. From Will's store, a peddling wagon drawn by two mules and loaded with merchandise traveled to the neighbors and surrounding communities. Each fourth of July, a picnic was held on the hill above the store. On Saturday afternoons a string band made up of local boys played for their neighbors. A fire destroyed most of the business district on July 28, 1893. Few had insurance and it was a great loss for Hollow Rock. On May 5, 1899 a post office was established and Walter C. Pugh was postmaster.
In 1907 a bank was organized and a building erected in 1910. The Knights of Pythias Lodge met across from the bank.
About 1912 Lankford School was built. Boyd's, Chapel hill and Cannon Schools were consolidated and a two year school was established. A singing school was organized by Cas Presson. A cotton gin, stave mill and sawmill operated for a number of years. Oxen were used to pull the bolts from the bottoms.
Two state highways run through Hollow rock, 114 and 70.
Notes for SUSAN MCMACKIN:
Per Sherlene Rogers Baab on pg. 316 of Stanly Co. NC Heritage book on William L. Rogers and his children and grandchildren:
"Joshua A. G. Rogers born 1821 died 7 March 1877 Carroll Co. TN married Susan McMakin 27 Dec. 1847 CCTN. Susan was possibly the daughte of Andrew McMakin. Children: James A. Rogers married Mary A. Grissom; William D. Green Clark Rogers married Martha J. Smith; Josiah Franklin Rogers married Nancy Elizabeth. "
Children of JOSHUA ROGERS and SUSAN MCMACKIN are:
i. JAMES A.5 ROGERS, b. Abt. 1841; m. MARY A. GRISSOM.
ii. WILLIAM D. ROGERS, b. Abt. 1843.
iii. GREEN CLARK ROGERS, b. Abt. 1845; m. MARTHA J. SMITH.
iv. NANCY ELIZABETH ROGERS, b. Abt. 1847.
v. JOSIAH FRANKLIN ROGERS, b. Abt. 1851.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|