Mary: Sue Monks listed James Pat as the eldest son of Solomon in her geneology records that she had at this years Gathering in Dawson Springs, KY.
I can make several generalizations that lead me to believe this to be true.
1. James & Margaret are part of the John Croft heirs estate sale of 150 acres on Buffalo Creek to Read Wright on 16 May 1849 (General Grantor Deeds L-M, Hopkins, KY; Bk 14, p. 312)
2. Dorothy "Dolly" Croft, wife of Solomon is the eldest sister to Margaret & Martha Croft. Married Solomon 15 June 1824 in Hopkins Co.
3. From Federal Census records: James Pat's birth year is 1825. Martin's birth year is 1827.
4. Recorded on 14 Nov 1807, Solomon purchased 200 acres on the Tradewater River adjacent to Daniel Mencer from a John Gordon (May 1805 Court, Henderson Co, KY).
5. Solomon & Dorothy after leaving Hopkins/Christian Co lived in Hickman Co, KY from 1826 - 01 Sept 1834 when Solomon & Dorothy sell 108 acres to a Joshua Richmond for $100.
6. Solomon then shows up in the 1840 Federal Census in Bath Co. Kentucky. (It is interesting to note that a creek called Licking Creek is almost due south of Licking County, Ohio where Japhet Mentzer [Daniel & Jona's youngest brother] settled after moving there from Virginia with his family.)
The best proof would be if we could look at James Pat's marriage bond to see if Solomon is listed as a witness to the marriage. I have not done that.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|