Michie Family Genealogy Forum
The first Michie who settled in the county was John, who bought land near the Horse Shoe of the Rivanna from John Henry, father of the great orator. When the purchase was made does not appear, but he sold to Hezekiah Rice, and repurchased from him in 1763. He died in 1777. His children were John, who died before his father, Robert, James, Patrick, William, Sarah, the wife of Christopher Wood, and Mary, the wife also of a Wood. Robert and his sisters seem to have lived in Louisa.
Patrick had his home southwest of Earlysville, between the Buck Mountain Road and the south fork of the Rivanna. He died in 1799. His wife's name was Frances, and his children were Nancy, the wife of Joseph Goodman, James, Elizabeth, the wife of Thomas Maupin, Sarah, the wife of William G. Martin, Martha, the wife of Richard Davis, Susan, the wife of William Michie, Mary, the wife of John Maupin, and David.
William became a large landholder in the same section. He purchased in 1793 from Lewis Webb, of New Kent, two thousand and ninety acres in one tract. On the Buck Mountain Road he established the public house, which has since been known as Michie's Old Tavern. He was appointed a magistrate in 1791, served as Sheriff in 1803, and died in 1811. He was twice married; one of his wives, it is believed, being Ann, daughter of David Mills. His children by the first marriage were John A., and Mary, the wife of John Mullins, and by the second William, David and Lucy, the wife of Benjamin Richards.
John A. was appointed a magistrate of the county in 1807. His wife was Frances, daughter of Thomas Jarman. He
died in 1827. His children were Frances J., Ann, Sarah, Elizabeth, the wife of Bezaleel G. Brown, Theodosia, the wife of Edmund Brown, John E., James, William, Robert J., Jonathan, Mary and Martha. Of these James attained a prominent position in the affairs of the county. He was a successful business man, was appointed a magistrate in 1816, and served as Sheriff in 1843. He was an earnest Episcopalian, and displayed his zeal in active efforts to rebuild the ruins of the old Buck Mountain Church. His home was on the north fork of the Rivanna, south of Piney Mountain. He died in 1850. His wife was Frances, daughter of Thomas Garth Jr., and his children Mary Elizabeth, the wife of William T. Early, Virginia, Susan, Adeline, Dr. J. Augustus, Thomas, Theresa, the wife of Lucian Michie, Alexander H., and Henry Clay. Jonathan married a sister of Thomas J. Michie, of Staunton, and his children were John P., Margaret, the wife of Dr. Theodore Michie, Frances, the wife of Dr. R. N. Hewitt, of Campbell County, Thomas, Chapman and Franklin.
William Michie, son of William, married, it is believed, Susan, daughter of his uncle Patrick. His children were Dr. James W., David and Frances. His brother David was a man of great enterprise and thrift. In early life he was a merchant first in the Michie Tavern neighb orhood, and afterwards at Milton. He invested in real estate in different parts of the county, purchasing in 1805 from Randolph Lewis his plantation Buck Island on the north side of the Rivanna, which he seems to have made his home till 1837. In that year he bought the brick house on the northeast corner of Market and Seventh Streets in Charlottesville, where he resided until his death in 1850. He left no children, and his large estate was divided among his numerous relatives, under the direction of George Carr, as administrator.
James Michie Jr., or Beau Jim, as he was commonly called, was the son of a William Michie. His residence was at Longwood, west of Earlysville. His death occurred in 1847. He married Eliza Graves, of Rockingham, and his children were Dr. Theodore, Octavius, Joseph P., Lucian, Oran,
Claudius N., Eugene, Catharine, the wife of William A. Rogers, Cornelia and Virginia.
source: genealogy library.com
History of Albemarle County, Virginia
The history of Albemarle County, Virginia, A description of the founding and events of this Virginia county including narritives on its residents families from 1727-1890.
Bibliographic Information: Woods, Edgar Rev. History of Albemarle County, Virginia: The Michie Company, Printers, 1901