I tend to think that the legend about Phoebe Lovejoy is just that -- a legend. Perhaps someone else can document her, but I cannot.
John Mobberly was born ca 1657/58, probably in England. He died ca 1727 in Prince Georges County, Maryland. Probably the immigrant ancestor of the line, he may have been from the Parish of Mobberly in Cheshire, England, perhaps by way of Barbados. He is found in records of All Hallows Parish,. Ann Arundel County, Maryland as early as 1688, and was still there in 1697, but moved to Prince Georges County by the early 1700s, where he and wife Ann were members of St. Barnabas Church.
John Mobberly Sr. married Ann ca 1686/87. They had five sons. He was married, second, by June 1708 to Elizabeth Robertson, and third, on 28 February 1716 in Prince Georges County to Mrs Susannah Scaggs, widow of Aaron Scaggs. One daughter, Anne, was born 5 February 1718 of this marriage. Susannah married as her third husband Henry Boulton on 6 November 1728 in Prince Georges County.
Children of John Mobberly, Sr.:
1. John Mobberly Jr. was born 2 March 1688, All Hallows Parish, Ann Arundel County, Maryland. He died between August 1752 and May 1753 in Lunenburg County, Virginia. He was married in St. Barnabas Church, Prince Georges County, Maryland, on 12 February 1711/12 [license] to Rachel Pindell, daughter of Thomas and Mary Pindell. The family moved to Lunenburg County, Virginia sometime between 1733 and 1748, being listed on the church tithe lists from 1748 to 1752. By the mid 1750s, their sons moved to North Carolina.
Mordecai Mobberly married Dorcas Read.
Edward Mobberly, born 8 October 1716, Queen Anne Parish, married Mary.
Hammond Mobberly married Avarella.
John Mobberly married Chloe.
2. James Mobberly was born 3 January 1691/92 in Ann Arundel County, Maryland. He died before 6 January 1759. He married Elizabeth. They had twin sons, born 31 January 1717.
3. William Mobberly was born 18 March 1693 in Ann Arundel County, Maryland. He married Sethy Anderson. William died 7 July 1775.
4. Edward Mobberly was born 13 May 1696 in South River Parish, Ann Arundel County, Maryland. He died 11 April 1765 in Fairfield County, Camden District, South Carolina. He may have been married twice, since his wife is referred to as Anne. But he may have been married only once [1718 in Prince Georges County] to Susanna DuVall, with Anne being a dimunitive name for Susannah. Various writers have spelled Susannah's surname as DeRuehl, but that surname has not been found in any of the legal records. Susannah was his wife named in Lunenburg County, Virginia deeds of sale dated 4 September 1762 and 28 September 1762, at which time he was a resident of Craven County, South Carolina. He may have taken up land in Craven ca 1750, but it was not titled to him until 1760.
5. Thomas Mobberly was born 15/16 January 1698 South River, Ann Arundel County, Maryland. One source reports that he married Mary ca 1720, after the birth of his first two children. Thomas and Mary had eleven children:
Rezin Mobberly married Mary Fowler on 1 Feb 1779 in Ann Arundel County.
Ezekiel Mobberly married Susannah.
Drusilla Mobberly married ____ Pain.
daughter, married ____ Ricketts.
Mary Mobberly born 2 November 1733, Prince Georges, Queen Anne Parish.
6. Ann Mobberly, daughter of John Mobberly Sr. and second wife Susannah, was born 5 February 1718, Queen Anne's Parish, Prince Georges Couny, Maryland.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|